It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematical Model Predicts Weight With Varying Diet, Exercise Changes; Findings Challenge One-Size-

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

That is absolutely wrong. Doing weights or cardio is going to make you loose weight. In fact you will burn more calories in the long run by lifting weights. When you do strength training you build muscle mass which speeds up your metabolism and burns more calories just being stationary.

This is not quite accurate.

While the post you were responding to was also inaccurate, have to correct you on this.

Lifting weights, alone, is a very poor workout strategy. Anaerobic exercises do not do much to help your metabolism. There are actually two types of muscles that develop to handle aerobic and anaerobic activities. You really don't do much to help your metabolism and energy levels by building only anaerobic capacity.

If you just did nothing but cardio you are going to cause your body to eat muscle as it burns protein for energy. Doing a good mix of cardio and strength training is what you need for healthy weight loss. If all you can do is cardio than so be it. But don't ever neglect your primary source for strength, balance, posture, movement and heat for the body to keep warm.

This is also not entirely accurate. A cardio exercise, alone, will build muscle. It will not build you much in terms of mass, but you will build muscle. Further, you're not really going to end up digesting your own muscles if you have a realistic diet. The only reason your body would digest its muscles is if you're simply not supplying it with enough nutrients not stored in fat.

Like I said in my previous post. For anybody serious about getting in shape don't listen to people here on ATS. You need to go to a forum that specializes in this subject matter. Not a conspiracy theory site.

To a degree. I've met quite a few professional body builders who are horribly out of shape. Sure - they've got muscles and a good deal of strength - but their overall physical performance is poor. I know my own training from the military, and I also know a thing or two about nutrition while having some experience in the matter.

I wouldn't say that the ATS community is packed with subject-matter experts - but at the same time, you'll see just as much varied advice on any forum.

The best strategy is always going to be tailored to each person's lifestyle, preferences, and goals. I'm not the most fit person out there, nor am I the strongest or most hard-core PT-nut there is. However, I do know that a cardio workout is the framework for any decent program, with strength training sprinkled throughout (that's the purpose of the 'torpedo' or 'indian' formation run - put you into an aerobic metabolism before pushing anaerobic performance; it's also the 'run a few laps and drop for pushups/crunches/etc' strategy's point).

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

That was exactly my point, to do both cardio and strength training. Sure you build some muscle by doing cardio, but it's not nearly the same muscle groups or as large a muscle mass that gets developed. Also, even tho you may be doing an aerobic exercise you will eventually turn it into anaerobic as you increase the intensity of the workout past your metabolic threshold. Which is when you begin producing more waste than fuel you can bring in.

For example, a person running can maintain a steady pace without getting over fatigued due to mainly aerobic metabolism. But, once that runner kicks it into a higher gear towards the end of the race it's now become anaerobic metabolism and you're burning more energy than you can bring in.

I do however disagree with your assertion that you don't help your metabolism as much with anaerobic exercise. At least in the long term of things. You will burn more calories during the immediate exercise duration itself tho with aerobic exercises, but this doesn't take into account how hard you are training for either. It is known as a fact that if you increase your muscle mass you will burn more calories just to support the muscles, hence increased metabolism when stationary or after a long hard workout.

Whole point is if you want to loose weight you simply need to burn more calories than you consume. Its simple math and biology. It will vary due to genetics and some other factors as to how much of a deficit you need and this has been known for an extremely long time. The old BMI charts from decades ago should be burned and banned. You need a good cardio base to begin with then even it out with anaerobic exercise.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

A sensible diet is going to vary from person to person, but one should attempt to have a salad or some kind of leafy vegetables with both lunch and dinner (or as a tie-over between meals if you find yourself prone to growing hungry quickly). Water, or some hydrating liquid, should be consumed in relative abundance. One of the easiest ways to stimulate your metabolism and stave off hunger is to keep a consistent supply of water going through your system.

and here i was thinking that side salad was just extra calories, who knew how healthy salad was with all that lettuce and stuff

<< 1   >>

join