It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wonders of the World from a simpleton...! The Dumbo's guide.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I am going to be slated for this thread and my transparent dumbness haha

I have only listed a few.

The wonders of the world have always intrigued me as I have often wondered, 'What's so special about them?'. Without further ado let's begin, not all the wonders but some of them;

Great Pyramid of Giza

The Egyptians believed that if the pharaoh's body could be mummified after death the pharaoh would live forever.
The tombs were designed to protect the buried Pharaoh's body and his belongings.

The reason they built the pyramids next to the Nile River was so it would be easier to get the blocks to the pyramid. The stones could be bought nearer to the pyramid building site by boat.
The Great Pyramid is the largest and most famous of the pyramids. It was built for the Pharaoh Khuf. It is over 140 metres high and took 20 years to build

The Egyptians believed that when they died, they would make a journey to another world where they would lead a new life. They would need all the things they had used when they were alive, so their families would put those things in their graves. Egyptians paid vast amounts of money to have their bodies properly preserved. Egyptians who were poor were buried in the sand whilst the rich ones were buried in a tomb.

To me this doesn't seem right? The Egytians can build Pyramids which take 20 years to build and somewhere in their mentality they believed you need your belongings to take to the next world with you on your Journey? The Pyramids where also built next to the Nile River to ferry the blocks via boat...? Somewhere in my mind this screams truth to me and for that reason alone... I'm out! No longer do I believe 'Visitors' helped them build the Pyramids but I believe the Egyptians actually did build these Pyramids and for the sole purpose of the elite and their possessions to take with them. Would I say this should be a Wonder of the world.... NOT REALLY... I'd say they are historical landmarks which show us the ways of the Egyptians many years ago but thats all.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Babylon in Iraq.. interesting but how interesting? Here goes...
Excuse my frankness here but basically... some guy built a moving mountain for his wife... the only reason I agree with this Wonder of the world is simply not because of the architecture but because we can all learn the lesson of expression when it comes to love. Going to the extremes which many modern day men wouldn't necaserely believe in today.

Statue of Zeus at Olympia

NOW This is my FAVOURITE ONE! We all know the Greeks created everything (trying not to be bias hahahaha)
OK so here we have the Statue in the 5th Century bc at the Venue for the Olymic games. Every 4 years athletes from greek comunities would take art in sporting contests for Zues the God. Olympia southern Greece, was created purely for Zues and the games.. which more or less tell's us Zues was the Don (again that's the Greeks for you).

OK back to my opinion, I think it was amazing Zues was known as powerfull and the guy from the sky etc but really... where is the evidence? How about if Zues was simply.. just like us.. one of us? And like many social circles there are leaders and followers, Zues happened to be the Leader thus creating 'respect, athourity – power'. Is this worthy of being a wonder of the world... I'd say yes! Simply because of the Olympics.

Temple of Artemis (Diana to me and you) at Ephesus (again just another great Greek).
Goddess in fertility. 3 temples made. There was 3 great temples, 2 destroyed, 3rd become the wonder. The temple was destroyed and never rebuilt due to christianity. Although the structure was estimated to be huge I don't dispute it took many many years but again... should it really a wonder? I'd say not.

Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus
this wasn't built for the greats such as alexandra the great, it was built for a pre minor ruler. Whats maginificant about this? Its the structure.

To me I often ask myself what is classed as a Wonder and is really worthy of that title? If I am honest, I don't think there is any wonders... sure there is history and lessons to be taught but the substantial importance of these monumental buildings is really quite insignificant when you look at the story behind them..!

Feel free to start the lashing! I am ready!

Fanks!!

new topics

join