It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Help : Urban Situation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Okay, I'm looking for some help from some of the experts on this forum.

After reading some of the threads on the site, I'm still not totally convinced that EVERYTHING is about to go tits-up...... but, well..... there's no harm in being prepared.

But here is the problem.

I live in the centre of a large British city. I live in a flat (with less storage than a house and no garden). I don't drive. I don't have huge amount of disposable income to spend on supplies.

So I'm kind of stumped about what preparations I should be making, and what I should do/ where I should go when it all kicks off.

There are lot of people like me, I imagine - living in similar circumstances which will make it difficult to prepare and plan. Guys like me who were born and raised in big cities, so wouldn't have a clue about hunting and survival and all that. People who either can't drive, or who don't have access to a car to get them out of the city.

So I'd be really interested and grateful in hearing your feedback.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

Best advice I can give on Urban Survival is knowing and being on friendly terms with as many members of your local area as possible....despite speculation to the contrary, when TSHTF people are more inclined to band together than most would imagine. Safety in numbers.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat...erm...city. Well, a different city, same situation. You know what I mean.

We don't really have much of a plan, but we do try to keep some water stored up. We know how to get onto the roof if necessary and we have a readily-accessible basement. We also tend to have a decent supply of canned and dried food.

We are a bit stumped about finding a way out of the city. It seems like that would be the next important step, but we live in a pretty densely-packed urban area, so getting out could be a bit challenging in the midst of a widespread panic.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Guys like me who were born and raised in big cities,

Plenty of food in your immediate surroundings-

Butchering the Human Carcass for Human Consumption

But seriously, cities will be death traps in a SHTF scenerio, the best advice I can give you is make friends in rural areas and learn some basic skills from them like farming and hunting. The making friends part will be the most important, because outsiders will not be welcome...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
here you go buddy

modern day survival guide

www.lastalive.com...

common sense survival guide
sidlinger.tripod.com...

urbansurvivalguide.net...

remember if you've thought of it .. perhaps someones already asked and answered it already

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Unfortunately no one can answer this for you. I have only ONE answer, which you will probably resent. In the case of a massive emergency, GET OUT OF THE CITY. If you have to exfil on foot, by train, bus or plane; do whatever you have to.

Every situation requires its own set of responses. There are very few basics for survival that your instincts don't already know, if only subconsciously.

If you are wanting to be prepared in-general to survive on your own for a while:

-Read up on everything relating to your local surroundings. This includes geography, history, studying both flora and fauna, how to grow foods. What grows well and where. Get hard copies of this information. Knowing your surroundings is more valuable than any tool.

-Have a means to hunt and/or defend yourself. That is obviously much easier here in the United States, but simple tools such as knives and machetes can be utilized to construct weapons. These are more valuable for hunting than anything.

-Stock up on clothing for the seasonal extremes of your climate. Make sure you have STRONG AND DURABLE boots or other heavy duty footwear.

-Stock up on essential tools: Axes, shovels, backpacks, lanterns, matches, etc.

-Make sure you have basic first-aid supplies available. I also recommend keeping some form of prescription-strength antibiotics around.

It's best to guide yourself down this path rather than to have someone tell you what you need. My background is with the The United States Army's Special Forces where an individual is molded into a man able to survive by his own right. The brain is more valuable than 12 months of water and food stores. Amassing knowledge and honing your brain to adapt on the fly and remain logical and calm is your best bet.

What I mean by this is walk through whichever doomsday scenario you can imagine. Step-by-step, analyze your needs. In your case I would recommend some camping supplies and a tent, because major metropolitan areas turn into "Mad Max"-esque hell holes VERY quickly. If a catastrophic incident occurs that will likely effect millions and kill all utilities, get the hell out of the city as soon as possible. People will generally resort to looting rushes or succumb to incapacitating fear before they turn on each other. That gives most able-bodied men and women the ability to get out of dodge with little trouble.

You can listen to the fear-junkies rattle off $20,000 worth of doomsday supplies or the kids talk about which Bruce Lee-inspired martial arts you need to master to make it through. The bottom line is that there is no simple answer to your question. Once your predicament comes to fruition, if loaded with knowledge, you can react to it on your own, without following some fool's guide book. Stocking supplies en-mass in your apartment will only keep you stationary in the city longer. This is valuable time that is necessary to get beyond the city's limits and start finding a place to set up camp. Stocked supplies will eventually run out, and they generally make you a giant target in an urban environment. If you have a place in the country to store your goods, well then its certainly not bad to have them, but in that case that is where you should be heading in such an emergency any way.

I wish survival was as simple as buying goods. It's far from it. Reading, researching and applying that knowledge hands-on is the only true way to survive such a desperate scenario. Start now and then start applying it in the great outdoors as a weekend warrior.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
first things first

when everyone else is still in shock and awe from whatever happens, thats when you grab whatever you can take and gtfo of any large populational center.

after that is done, go from there knowing anywhere is better than the major sites

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Get a gun, learn to shoot (or vise versa). If you want to be able to hunt you will need a rifle or shotgun (I'm not familiar with the wildlife out there) A pistol can be used for small game and for defense. Remember, if you are dead you aren't hungry. If everything does come crumbling down everyone will be thinking the same thing: How am I going to survive? Looting is common during riots and if everything goes "tits-up" expect it to be one huge riot. In that situation, Loot and leave! lol grab some essentials and get the hell out of town.
But one thing I'm not sure on. Do you mean like post apocalyptic, such as some massive devastation? or something like everyone realizes the governments all lied and their money is worth nothing so all of society crumbles?

Always keep a case or 2 of bottled water about. You can go weeks without food, but only days without water. Dehydrated food is handy. In the US we have MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) you can buy at some stores. Basically soldier food. Lasts forever, tastes pretty bad. Start getting "outdoorsy": go on more camping trips, start off with more than you need, and every trip take less and less. If you can figure out how to fish all you will need to have is something to boil water in. a water bottle, and a knife. Building a shelter is always a priority. I dont think you have the luxury of warm dry nights in London, but I have never been so I couldn't tell ya. Having a source of fire at all times is always a great idea. You can pick up a magnesium/flint fire starter from any outdoor store. (assuming its not restricted in the UK) BIC lighters are the best you can have with you. I have been a smoker for years, I love going camping and I used to frequent a Tobacconist. Even the employees would say they would take a BIC over any of their other lighters for survival. They are somewhat waterproof, and last a fairly long time and they are cheap. I never leave home without em. Basic first aid: KNOW IT. In the US we have "First Responders", people who are trained in CPR and basics. Not usually enough to save a life, but enough to keep them alive long enough for someone else to save. Take a basic medic class. I took an EMT class and I learned a great deal from it. cost $140 and lasted 5 months. Learn how to set fractures, identify serious injuries, and how to stop bleeding. A snake bit kit! Great to have (if you have poisonous creatures that might like to see how tasty you are) They come with Directions. Have a plan: if you think you can just escape to the woods and be fine, you are wrong. Know where you are gonna go, who you are going to go to. How you are gonna make it off your Island, who you are going to take with you. Find out if you have anyone you can count on (We'll just call them assets) with a boat, maybe you know a pilot, or a cruise ship waiter, doesnt matter as long as you have someone, even if it is yourself, to help you get where you need to be. MEDICATION! If you have a condition that requires a certain medicine to stay alive, your plan better include getting to where you need to be before it runs out. Having things like Aspirin, allergy, and stomach medicine is ideal. Diarrhea will dehydrate you, having a fever will dehydrate you, vomiting will dehydrate you. ALWAYS HAVE WATER. Iodine is good to have to purify water in a pinch. Learn where and how to collect water. Bandaids, bandages, wraps, SUPER GLUE! It can close a wound. And it can glue things together you might need it for both. Rope: great to have. Dont waste time with cheap rope. You wont need a bunch but 100' section of some good climbing rope should get you through anything you need, since you arent a climber trying to climb would be a bad idea. If you cant hike it or swim it you cant make it.
This is pretty much to help survive in a forest type setting. Since the UK doesnt have much for deserts I dont think you will need that info.

But really, if you want to learn the best way to survive in the wild. Fly me to the UK and I will show you =)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
"survival priorities follow the rule "Ruleof 3's":
You can go
3seconds without thinking
3 minutes without oxygen;
3 hours exposure to an extreme environment;
3days without water;
3weeks without food.

Thinking/oxygen are pretty well taken care of: So
You need to keep your core temp at 98.6 F by providing a safe "microclimate": (I.e."protecting yourself with Good proper clothing; a GOOD QUALITY Sleeping bag)and provisions for fire making. Practice. creating a decent fire takes a little thought and preparation.
water is next(water storage/handpumps or access to a pond lake river or well and and filters; as possible).
food: tins and dried as much as you can use in two years ( cans usually have a 2year shelf life). eat from youR enhanced pantry.
PAPER books on "everything"(country skills; canning; firstaid; field medicine;military skills;mechanics and technology.
Forget the zombie"melee" preparations( "Zombies" Are only A threat to "b" movie actors.When "zombies" attack i merely change the channel.) Besides I know you brits don't have firearms options anyway.

edit on 26-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I live in a city and what i would do is get out with my friends and family, plenty of warehouses and depots so finding a lorry or truck shouldn't be too hard, fill it up with food, water and some needed tools and get........stuck in a traffic jam.... hmmmm..... looting? jk

depends on what the emergency/disaster is and what are your current dangers.
if its zombies.... i don't know.

if it's a nuclear attack then you might want to get some Nuclear emergency kit.
potasium iodate tablets for thyroid protection against cancer causing radioactive iodine.
light stcks because it might be dark and the power will probably be out.
water and food.
Then get you and your family to the country, when your food is running out you'll have less reservations about eating squirrel. might want to pick up a survival book.
thats all i can think of at the moment. hope it helps.
edit on 26-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

then get you and your family to the country, when your food is running out you'll have less reservations about eating squirrel.

Let me reiterate this for those who think they will be escaping the cities to live out in the 'country'

....YOU WON'T BE WELCOME, in fact as you travel down a well paved road the first sign will be burnt out cars/trucks blocking the way, if you dare to go further there will be heads on pikes, and if that doesn't dissuade you will come at last to those who be guarding the roads...with guns..with a bead drawn on your head.

and if you live outside of the USA, you can replace guns with long sharp pointy objects.

Like I said in my post before, you better make friends beforehand, and not 'internet friends' but real life ones and close at that. Better yet are those who have family out in the rural areas.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Do you have any storage facilities where you can keep an offsite stash of emergency gear?I lived for 3 yrs in a large urban setting primarily out of a self storage.What kind of camping gear do you have?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
you think a few country folk have any chance at stopping mass population sweeping through the countryside.
and we wont even close your gates behind us.
in desparate times people will do whatever it takes to survive and if there were a situation where many city people are stopped by a few trucks and burnt signs im sure the trucks will be stolen and the farmers or villagers will be either dead or hiding. my money is on the desperate not the prepared.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

you think a few country folk have any chance at stopping mass population sweeping through the countryside.

The roads will be blocked, the average city dweller might survive 3 or 4 days with no shelter or food walking in the wild. Those that do make it will be weakened and if you think you know this territory better than us then good luck trying.

Furthermore even if you did manage to overwhelm the 'country folk' you wouldnt even know what to do with what you gained. This is not a garden of eden out here, it takes work and knowledge to make a go of it. City people in a SHTF scen would be dead in a few weeks here.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
i hope you dont think all people who live in cities to be this useless. many of us already grow a lot.
not sure what country your from but the uk wilderness is pretty tame, me and all my friends could easily survive there indefinately without carrying any food or water (not that we would leave food and water)
3 or 4 days expectancy?! are we wounded or ill?
why are people who live in your country so useless. i think your exaggerating.
its not like we'd need to farm for profits, just enough to survive.
what is the population of your local area because fighting off a few hundred thousand survivors (if the entire city isn't vapourized) doesn't seem possible.
if your in a city your gonna head for the countryside and everyone in a city will be thinking the same thing.
good luck fighting those barbarians.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

i hope you dont think all people who live in cities to be this useless.

No, those who are close friends and family will be welcomed in. Those we don't know..well its easier to shoot you than sit down and go through a basic skills test of what you know. Not to mention we don't have time to sort you out since you will be in a mob.

not sure what country your from but the uk wilderness is pretty tame

anywhere that the temps drop below 60 F at night is deadly to a person who doesn't have any sense how to survive in the outdoors. That's probably 90 percent of city dwellers. Most hypothermia cases come from wet conditions with moderate temperatures not extremes.

3 or 4 days expectancy?! are we wounded or ill?

no just ignorant, a person can die when left exposed to moderate weather elements in 48 hours or less. Sorry if you've lived in a heated apartment all your life. The outside world is quite a bit different when you cant run inside to dry out and warm up your toes.

what is the population of your local area because fighting off a few hundred thousand survivors

Many times throughout history fighters have defeated odds greater than 10 to 1. See the Mongols, Native Americans, and the Germans in WW2.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think some clarification as to the nature of this event would help people reply in a more relevant manner.
Nuclear holocaust?
Riots?
Plague?
Zombies? (please say Zombies)
Post apocalyptic?
Foreign Invaders?
or just a general collapse of society?

Surviving in each of these scenarios varies greatly if you dont have a bunker with supplies.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

well its easier to shoot you than sit down and go through a basic skills test of what you know. Not to mention we don't have time to sort you out since you will be in a mob

just hope the desperate mob doesnt shoot first then.

anywhere that the temps drop below 60 F at night is deadly to a person who doesn't have any sense how to survive in the outdoors

not sure, have man made fire yet.

The outside world is quite a bit different when you cant run inside to dry out and warm up your toes.

Well duh, im certain shelters will be built in no time, we city dwellers aren't intelegence impaired. those who can't build shelters i'm sure would have looted a camping store. we aren't going to be heading for the country butt naked with nothing but hope and dreams.

Many times throughout history fighters have defeated odds greater than 10 to 1

for you i hope the odds are just 10 to 1 because i doubt they will be in the real world.

your going to need a bigger hedge.
edit on 27-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiddy

They're in Brittain - no guns at all.

OP, there is storage in your house. Under beds, under tables, under end tables/coffee tables. Throw a tablecloth over boxes to make a "table" while hiding supplies. If you truly can't leave the city find ingenious ways to hide stores in plain site in your flat.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I understand that there are limited firearms in the UK, but are you telling me that people mug people with knives and sticks? There has to be a way of obtaining a firearm, What about the IRA? If you are seriously worried about this situation occurring then I'm sure you can find a firearm somewhere, just not at a public venue. Im sorry for my ignorance about the UK, but is there no hunting? Or do they just trap and use bows? In California I can spend $100 and pick up a little throw away gun. Im sure the prices must be higher due to the lack of volume, but there must be a way, if not, learn to shoot a bow! lol They are silent which is an advantage, however the arrow sticking out of a target is usually an arrow pointing back to where you are. Is there a site that I can learn more of the laws regarding weapons and "survival" equipment in the UK? Im still not sure what the scenario is so I'm not sure if having some road flares and propane tanks would be good to have, or if road flares are even legal in the UK. What about flare guns? I guess this just means I must try even harder to get to the UK so I can experience this "warm and fuzzy" land my self. It would be nice to spend some time where when you hear a bang you dont think, "Is that a gun, firework, or car backfiring." some places its just "yep, thats a gunshot, wait for the sirens" Personally I'm not a huge fan of California anymore

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join