It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Member Claiming To Have Important Warning/Information. You Be The Judge...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Looking at the name again,

The Richter scale was introduced in 1935.

And there's the The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award which recognizes papers contributing to geotechnical engineering.

www.asce.org...

The Middlebrooks Award is also referenced in this document from Berkeley. It's a long read, just hit CTRL+F and search for Middlebrooks.
www.ce.berkeley.edu...

Liquefaction Potential. J. Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 130(12): 1314-1340. Recipient of the ASCE Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award.

edit on 27-8-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

Soil liquefaction describes a phenomenon whereby a saturated soil substantially loses strength and stiffness in response to an applied stress, usually earthquake shaking or other sudden change in stress condition, causing it to behave like a liquid.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 27-8-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

WC, here is a link to the CERI helicorders Marked Tree Node...the node has 20 helicorders at different locations. Hope it's helpful

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
One thing I keep noticing, be it a hoax or not, most all posters are referencing the OP as a he, I initially assumed it was a she. Why? Because secretaries have access to their bosses email/files/ect. I know when I worked for a crooked boss, I would run across things in his office. This was back in the day before computers/cell phones were used for communicating. We used inter office mail

I remember being so paranoid, trying to sneak what ever document I found in his office, trying to make a photo copy. I had to be careful. I knew the information I had found was important, and he was involved in some very shady deals going on.

My point is this...if I was a secretary today, and I had some information that I felt needed to be told, I would find a way to do it such as the OP. If it was a hoax, it was good. Believable even. However, not knowing why this poster was removed, makes it seem more like others have stated...banned member and ISP address was found. I know another site I moderated on we did that all the time. And if that is the case, I would say there is nothing here. Yet I don't want to totally call it a hoax (yet).

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Okay...wow. I am finding more now by searching USGS for info on blind thrust faults in Arkansas. According to USGS, they began a 5 yr study in 2006 to map out some of these rifts. (so they should be competeing it right about NOW)

Check this out:

To address these gaps in imaging, we have begun an ambitious 5 year comprehensive investigation of long-term deformation rates along a single transect crossing the entire Reelfoot rift. Such a transect will for the first time image major tectonic features at a scale capable of resolving pre-Paleozoic to Quaternary deformation. As such, it will provide us with the first opportunity to understand how long-term deformation is partitioned across the failed rift system and to understand how the long-term tectonic history is affecting modern earthquake hazards. It could also provide a glimpse at currently unknown and potentially active tectonic faults for the first time. Since May 2006, and in collaboration the University of Memphis, and the University of Texas, we have collected 31 km of high-resolution data (5-m source/station interval) on the western side of the rift through Lepanto, Arkansas, across Crowleys Ridge, and across the western Reelfoot Rift lineament.

source

AGAIN....about deformation. I could see that if, at the completion if this study they revealed some rapid deformation in one of these rifts in the New Madrid, it may cause a stir, no??

I'm even thinking that if there were significant movement, we might start seeing some signs of this stress....like quakes in odd places???

So someone with time and knowledge.....jump into THIS, would you??? Extensive cool mapping of the reelfoot rift.

HERE is a link to the USGS site outlining the 'New Madrid earthquake drill' for May 2011. Upload the map. It's just scary.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Scientists predict that there is up to a 70 percent chance that a 6.0-magnitude quake will strike along the seismic zone within the next 15 years. There's a 90 percent probability of a 6.0 tremor before 2040, according to the study.

I wonder what kind of difference the weather makes on this. The tornadoes, massive flooding, low pressure fronts, etc.

Keep in mind that prediction was made 12 years ago.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

This is not feeling like a hoax.
Not with the stuff you've come across. It's been too expected, that fault line going off. With the drilling and the weather.....

Hope it's not too soon.

Pacific Northwest should be relatively safe

edit on 27-8-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggalette

WC, here is a link to the CERI helicorders Marked Tree Node...the node has 20 helicorders at different locations. Hope it's helpful

I would like to hear what some of you experienced quake watchers (west coast, puterman, muzzy, etc) think about some of those helicorders on the 25 (supposedly when those emails took place)...some of them have much "stuff" going on....interpretation welcome

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I have been trying to read all these pages, interested in the topic, but also curious about the moment it was found out to be a hoax.
I can't find it!!! I've gone back and re-read, perhaps I started going too fast over the last few pages....
Could someone please point me to the post which revealed the hoax factor please?
I am curious about the sleuthing someone had to go through to figure out the truth here, it seems it must be quite challenging and I am actually very interested in hearing how someone can go about finding the info in cases like this!

That's because nothing was said in this thread as to why it was called a hoax. *sigh*

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
every single date available for Marked Tree has "activity"

great detective work you guys!
edit on 27-8-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
ATTENTION MODS: Why was this thread inexplicably moved to HOAX? At least give us a bare bone version of what led to this being moved. Thank you in advance.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Here's a list of all past recipients of the ASCE Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award:

www.asce.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by summer5

Originally posted by Juggalette

I would like to hear what some of you experienced quake watchers (west coast, puterman, muzzy, etc) think about some of those helicorders on the 25 (supposedly when those emails took place)...some of them have much "stuff" going on....interpretation welcome

I'm always really careful about trying to interpret these. I often get them wrong.

I'll try and get some of the more versed members to peak at it!!

I will say, that there is obviously a lot going on. Wierd stuff. Don't know though if it is some sort of electrical interference.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Originally posted by Bluesma
I have been trying to read all these pages, interested in the topic, but also curious about the moment it was found out to be a hoax.
I can't find it!!! I've gone back and re-read, perhaps I started going too fast over the last few pages....
Could someone please point me to the post which revealed the hoax factor please?
I am curious about the sleuthing someone had to go through to figure out the truth here, it seems it must be quite challenging and I am actually very interested in hearing how someone can go about finding the info in cases like this!

That's because nothing was said in this thread as to why it was called a hoax. *sigh*

Oh. Okay. Sorry if I repeated a tired out question. It's a long thread. I had trouble following the whole thing before my morning coffee (shouldn't have tried)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Oh no....nothing to do with you. I think it's a good question!!

Frankly, I'm just kinda ignoring the move. It is what it is. I am sure the Mods have their reasons and would share it with us if they could. Since we haven't been provided with anything to convince us to stop looking...
I will continue to.

I certainly don't take it personally, since it wasn't my OP anyways. If nothing else, I think we have learned a lot about some cool programs and studies we didn't know about before!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well I guess we'll never know why this was moved. Good night all.
Ya 200th post, I'm going to chat!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
DO THE MODS HAVE PROOF THIS IS A HOAX?

What determines when a thread gets moved?

To my understand it can be done on the whim of a moderator and IMO, the Hoax forum is the absolute worst idea to hit ATS in all the time I've been here. I don't know how many threads I've seen put here recently that have no business being labeled as a hoax. The ATS community has always done a fine job of spotting hoaxes for ourselves, hell it's part of the fun inherent in being a member here but at some point it was decided that we needed babysitting. It's utterly insulting, infuriating, and nothing less than defacto censorship and it needs to wither and die. I don't come to ATS to be told what information is valid by some unknown moderator's clandestine motivations, yet here we are.

edit on 27-8-2011 by twitchy because: ATS Is Dying, Slowly, But Surely. What Happened To This Place???

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
DO THE MODS HAVE PROOF THIS IS A HOAX?

What determines when a thread gets moved?

To my understand it can be done on the whim of a moderator and IMO, the Hoax forum is the absolute worst idea to hit ATS in all the time I've been here. I don't know how many thread I've seen put here recently that have no business being labeled as a hoax. The ATS community has always done a fine job of spotting hoaxes for ourselves, hell it's part of the fun inherent in being a member here but at some point it was decided that we needed babysitting. It's utterly insulting, infuriating, and nothing less than defacto censorship and it needs to wither and die. I don't come to ATS to be told what information is valid by some unknown moderator's clandestine motivations, yet here we are.

Hmm, that's not my understanding of it at all. From what I remember in conversations with a supermod, HOAXes are usually determined by administrators, and are considered carefully before thrown into the bin. So chances are this was not determined by one of the mods at all. But things change, so not sure. Just saying what I remember. But I don't trust my memory, and neither should you.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hoax forums are the new top news.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
HOAXes are usually determined by administrators, and are considered carefully before thrown into the bin.

Fascinating really considering the subjects of a few recent 'hoaxes' comming through here. The power to determine the validity of information reserved to a select few who decide for the majority of others what is or isn't... don't we already have mainstream media to do that for us? I'm sorry, but this practice utterly disgusts me and it's an absolute affront to the very purpose of ATS IMO.

Edit:
Was looking through some of the thread here in the Hoax Forum, looks like Supermods can put threads here, so it isn't just Admins.
edit on 27-8-2011 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

It's not the first time mysterious things have happened. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes on the secret "Cosmic" boards.

One thing is for sure: it was done on purpose.

Does kinda feel like the MSM...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join