It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil here in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I learned a while ago that there are small oil companies and wells in pennsylvania. some company examples are Quakerstate oil, and pennzoil. What im wondering is if there is any other states with oil deposits like pa. this could be important considering the oil that we mostly use as consumers is from the greatly unstable middleast, and oil could be the first step to more self dependence.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

signature: IM 11 YEARS OLD!!!!!!

If that's true I admire you for wanting to educate yourself about such an important subject facing this nation.

Yes, we have oil all over America, but the problem is we don't have enough...enough to meet rising demand and a sky rocketing population.

We are at the plateau of what is known as Peak Oil, where oil production is barely meeting demands, and due to an economy based on perpetual growth and reliant on cheap energy to produce said growth we are riding the 'bumpy' plateau now i.e. every time oil prices rise the economy recedes, then when oil prices drop to due to lack of demand the economy resumes growing. How long this can continue is anybodies guess.

Make no mistake, green energy will not replace oil, nuclear might but that is terrifying to think about given what has happened at fukishima. Natural gas and coal will help but they are not a substitute for oil. We are not going to run America on battery powered cars while we are in the midst of shutting down coal powered electricity plants, and havent built a nuclear plant since the 70's.

This is a very complex subject, you could read on and on about it and still come out confused. I'm sure some others with a different view point than mine will chime in and help you out.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
We might have enough if we harness the right (cheaper) way to process it into Gasoline.

However we also like to use (or we were using because) cheaper foreign oil until now. However next door Canada has lots of oil but it is embedded in soil. It is not cheap to extract the crude oil out of it.

It will be interesting to see what new innovative process is introduced to make it a cheaper process. Until then, I'm afraid, we will have to use foreign oil. Otherwise Crude Oil is all over the US in pockets.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

there is large amounts of oil in the U.S we have more oil than eny body else in the world.the problem is are goverment wount let us drill fore it. i have over 20yrs exp in the oil and gas drilling.u here all the time from the socalled profasionals that it will take yrs before we see that oil come to market that is a bold face liye from start to finsh it only takes 3 to 4 months fore it to reach market.there is no oil shortage at all this is some more of the buracrats lyeing to the american popple. here is some info on how much oil we actuly have in this country i will include the links.

Bottom line – there is a lot of oil shale in the United States.

The United States is home to the largest and most concentrated oil shale deposits in the World. The Department of Energy states that the total oil shale resource in the United States could potentially exceed 6 trillion barrels of oil. In fact, due to oil shale, Colorado's Piceance Basin contains the most concentrated hydrocarbon deposit on Earth.

A relatively small area in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming contains the richest oil shale deposits in the entire World. About 70% of the resource is located on federal lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The other 30% is located on private land, state land, and other lands.

One particular underground structure, known as the Green River Formation, contains very large quantities of oil shale. The Green River Formation was created about 48 million years ago during the Eocene Era. The region contained a series of intermountain lakes where, over approximately 6 million years, fine sediments and organic matter were deposited. Over time the organic matter was transformed into the oil shale deposits we see today. There are other formations in the strata, deposited in a similar manner, that contain oil shale resources as well. These deposits also contain potentially viable oil shale deposits.

In March of 2009, the United States Geologic Survey (USGS) completed a reassessment of the in-place oil shale reserves in this region and increased their estimate from about 1 trillion barrels of shale oil to 1.525 trillion barrels of shale oil. The Department of Energy (DOE) estimates that about 1.8 trillion barrels of shale oil potentially underlay Colorado, Utah and Wyoming in deposits greater than 15 barrels/ton.

www.eccos.us...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANGER12
Bottom line – there is a lot of oil shale in the United States.

Oil shale is an incredibly energy-intensive effort, requiring upwards of 5 barrels of water per barrel of oil to produce. It contaminates vast areas of land, and at no point will it ever produce more the 2 million barrels a day. That's about 10 percent of our daily demand.

Given America's inefficient energy grid, that is basically wasting a resource that shouldn't be touched until far better technologies come around to safely extract those reserves.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Read up on your history. The first "oil rig" was built int Titusville, Pennsylvania.The first successful drill, that led to the oil boom.
There is a reason it is also called, Texas tea.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
[url=http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/upload/API_FAST_FACTS_FullPage_101510.pdf

That is a great link to a short pdf file with some great information about Domestic Oil Production and usage. New drilling techniques first used to get shale gas to the surface by drilling sideways under ground once they are in the gas producing rock, then using pressure and fluids they break or "Fracture" the rock... That means we can get Oil and gas in greater amounts now from places that we could never get to work before even though we knew the oil or natural gas was there. This means that we are producing a lot more of our oil now but sadly we use more than 2 gallons oil a day per person in America including what we use for industry, we have long been using more oil in a day than we produce.

I can only try to reduce how much my family uses each day and hope that others do the same... Unfortunatly My father's and my generation have take more than our share and are leaving a big mess for your generation and I cannot change that... I wish I could... We have left the world in a state that if You guys don't find a new way to power the world I don't think life as we know it will be able to go on... Keep exploring your world little one, maybe it is you that will find a way to fix it!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Count Chocula

the technology we have today will let us get the oil out of that shale with the use of less water and we can now recover over 90 percent of the oil and gas we go after.u can continue to believe the politicians are the creidits but if u do u are being blind sided by them as they don't want the American people to know what we have and just how easy it is fore us to extract that oil and gas from the ground.just think if we started drilling and producing this vass amount of oil shale right now we could be energy Independence in 5 yrs are gas cost at the pump would go down to the what we were paying in the 80s.the economy would recover as fore every drilling rig it takes over a hundred new jobs would be created from truck drivers to service hands.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
America already gets the majority of its oil from Canada i believe, not the Middle East. What we tend to forget though is that what you put in your car is only a small percentage, our whole civilization is based on oil and products made from it.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thanks guys this taught me a lot

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count Chocula

signature: IM 11 YEARS OLD!!!!!!

If that's true I admire you for wanting to educate yourself about such an important subject facing this nation.

Yes, we have oil all over America, but the problem is we don't have enough...enough to meet rising demand and a sky rocketing population.

We are at the plateau of what is known as Peak Oil, where oil production is barely meeting demands, and due to an economy based on perpetual growth and reliant on cheap energy to produce said growth we are riding the 'bumpy' plateau now i.e. every time oil prices rise the economy recedes, then when oil prices drop to due to lack of demand the economy resumes growing. How long this can continue is anybodies guess.

Make no mistake, green energy will not replace oil, nuclear might but that is terrifying to think about given what has happened at fukishima. Natural gas and coal will help but they are not a substitute for oil. We are not going to run America on battery powered cars while we are in the midst of shutting down coal powered electricity plants, and havent built a nuclear plant since the 70's.

This is a very complex subject, you could read on and on about it and still come out confused. I'm sure some others with a different view point than mine will chime in and help you out.

Don't listen to Eco-terrorist/disinformation agents. Peak Oil is a myth used by big oil to justify high prices and by communist's(communist's hijacked most environmental groups in the 80's) to justify global communism.

Right now in the Dakota's there is more oil then in the entire Middle East. It is rumored that Alaska has way more oil then what they are saying. And if you add in thorium we have more then enough energy to last for a few thousand years. The reason why we have nuke plants is because General Electric realized they would make way more money off of nuclear plants compared to much safer thorium plants.

Remember, trust no one and seek the truth out for yourself.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

well i searched this but if this is fact i have no idea but it says that there is only enough oil left for 50years at the most so they are franctically trying to find more for our daily needs... boilers, cars, etc etc....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANGER12
reply to post by Rebel21

A relatively small area in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming contains the richest oil shale deposits in the entire World. About 70% of the resource is located on federal lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The other 30% is located on private land, state land, and other lands.

Seems to be more in N and S Dakota....the native americans are putting up oil wells as fast as they can fund them.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I think a read of the below link is in order. And of course check out the USGS linked documents.

www.snopes.com...

There isn't nearly as much oil up there as they'd like people to think.

One thing worries me. It's disillusioned people love to be comforted and told a pleasant lie. They will NEVER make the objective effort to find a truth for themselves. More often than not they just want somebody to tell them what they want to hear.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollumi
I think a read of the below link is in order. And of course check out the USGS linked documents.

www.snopes.com...

There isn't nearly as much oil up there as they'd like people to think.

One thing worries me. It's disillusioned people love to be comforted and told a pleasant lie. They will NEVER make the objective effort to find a truth for themselves. More often than not they just want somebody to tell them what they want to hear.

Sigh...beware of snopes. George Sorous owns it. I think anything political will be suspect to falsehoods and distorted figures.

top topics

join