It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Halloween Myths Debunked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
With this awesome holiday fast approaching I thought I would share some common myths and their explanations with you.

1. There are razor blades and foreign objects in candy

While this myth might be one of the favorite cautionary phrases of parents, right up there with "put on a jacket or you'll catch a cold," there has never been a single documented incident of razor blades in candy. More than likely, parents are trying to find any reason whatsoever to prevent their children from eating 15 pounds of candy in one night. This Halloween, before you carefully inspect each Milk Dud for embedded razor blades, just remember that caution is admirable, but X-raying each piece of candy is nuts.

2. Black cats are bad luck

There is absolutely no real evidence to support the idea that black cats are unlucky. In fact, it is equally likely that black cats are good luck since they are harbingers of doom. More likely, black cats have become an iconic symbol of Halloween, due to their association with witches. Despite the folklore surrounding black cats, there is no proof that they are good or bad luck, just adorable.

3. Halloween is the Devil's holiday

Halloween is actually rooted in Druid and Celtic ritual, and these religions do not believe in "Satan," at least not in the incarnation that Christians are familiar with. Scholars attribute this myth to Christian fundamentalists who believe that Halloween's dark imagery and association with death make it a product of evil rather than good. However, the Druid and Celtic rituals upon which Halloween is based were celebrations dedicated to much more positive ideas like the harvest and the generosity of the gods.

4. Child molesters attack most on Halloween

There has never been a single documented case of a child being molested by a convicted sex offender while trick or treating in the United States. That's not to say that it's never happened, but you can rest assured that the mobs of child molesters do not circle Halloween on their calendars, or pose a bigger threat on this day than any other. In fact, many states require convicted sex offenders to follow a curfew, keep their lights off or post 'no candy' signs at their residence. This hysteria is more than likely a product of parents' worries and media scare tactics.

5. Strangers poison candy

The chances of your kids eating poisoned candy are actually far smaller than their chance of being involved in a car accident. Again, there has never been a documented incident of intentional candy poisoning in the United States. That's not to say that eating old candy or too much candy is a good idea. Children and parents alike should exercise a reasonable amount of caution and avoid old or unlabeled candy, but, more than likely, tainted candy is the product of careless homeowners rather than evil strangers trying to poison children.

6. Gang initiations take place on Halloween

This is a popular myth that has arisen in the era of the "Urban Legend." Gang initiation is a popular subject of myth and misunderstanding mostly because it is a mysterious process that is poorly understood. If you are trick or treating in an area where gang activity is a problem, it might be a good idea to think twice before going trick or treating at all. That being said, there is no evidence to show that Halloween represents any special occasion for gang initiation in the United States.

7. Consuming Almond Joy prevents cancer

This myth is absolutely ridiculous. The only thing consumption of Almond Joys, or any other candy for that matter, will prevent is weight loss. If you're looking to prevent cancer, consult a physician, not the guy dressed as a pirate who lives next door.

8. Halloween is the second busiest retail day of the year

Halloween actually ranks sixth in terms of retail spending, following holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day. Needless to say, Halloween won't end the current economic recession, but consumers often spend a surprising amount of time and money on the holiday. In the grand scheme of things, though, Halloween doesn't even come close to Christmas in terms of retail spending.

9. Cult groups hunt for black cats on Halloween

This myth blends together two other favorite Halloween urban legends, and depicts a marauding band of cult members on the prowl for black cats they can mutilate in a satanic sacrifice. However, the ASPCA has reported no increase in black cat mutilations, rescues or adoptions on Halloween, but many animal shelters halt black cat adoptions around the holiday to be on the safe side.

10. People hanging at haunted houses are actually dead

This myth is actually based on truth. In the late '90s, there were several hanging suicides that went unreported by passers-by because it was assumed that the victims were Halloween decorations. Some cities went so far as to outlaw such decorations to prevent this type of problem, but no other incidents have been reported since then.

11. Zombies are real

Flesh eating zombies are a Halloween staple, or at least a scary movie staple. While zombies are mostly fiction, there is a compound that can mimic the symptoms of zombie like behavior. Tetrodotoxin is a compound found in puffer fish and other poisonous sea creatures that can slow bodily functions to mimic death. Unfortunately, the slowed bodily functions also deprive the brain of oxygen and cause severe brain damage. When the toxin's affects begin to wear off, the victim emerges from their seemingly dead state and, while they likely won't thirst for flesh, they may walk around disoriented and unable to communicate. Trying to ingest tetrodotoxin as a Halloween prank is a terrible idea because the semi-catatonic state is permanent.

12. Vampires are real

It is impossible for humans to survive on blood alone. In fact, there are not enough nutrients in blood to sustain animals much larger than a tick or a flea for much longer than a few days. This makes the idea of the vampire, with super human strength and dashing good looks, impossible. Vampires do make for excellent movies and tales, but science proves these stories to be purely fiction.

13. Pumpkins are the historical symbol of Halloween

Actually, the turnip was the original symbolic food of Halloween according to the Druids. It was even carved and decorated much like today's pumpkin. In fact, the pumpkin is a new world plant that didn't even grow in Europe, the birthplace of Halloween. While we may celebrate the jack-o-lantern as a timeless symbol of Halloween, in reality it is a modern American invention that didn't even exist when Halloween was first conceived.

www.toponlinecolleges.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
You are a little early buddy.

A little early indeed.

And yes - some candy does have razor blades in it - just depends on the house.
(Can't wait for Halloween) ((Which is in 2 months))

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Halloween is the #1 retail holiday at our house.

That's all I really have to say. I don't understand the rest of this anyway.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That's your source? I've heard of NUMEROUS reports of #1 happening.

Here's one for example: Teen Finds Razor Blade In Candy Bar

So there you go, you're kinda wrong so far.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's a fun post...just go with it

Jeez

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'm going to make turnip jack o lanterns from now on. They are awesome.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If fun is attempting to debunk cats that are black (which are obviously bad luck/and/or demonic entities) - then I just can't stand for this.

I was saving my list of top 10 fun facts about Christmas - for Christmas - but I think I'll copy and paste them later on today.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What about the one where if you dont give half your candy to your older brother Jack'o comes for you

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Didn't I read a story somewhere that had to do with a gang of child molesters putting drugs and razor blades in candy on halloween?

I can't be certain...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I love halloween, it is my favorite holiday, and I always thought it got a really bad rap. Oh no thanks to hollywood and "The Halloween" Horror trilogy turned serial film. Lol.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

Though I'd venture to say that there's a bit of a difference between candy that's been given to you by community members and candy you just randomly pick up off the street, which somebody 15-years-old should know better than even if it is still in the wrapper.

This is also a story from a 15-year-old. Teenagers love pulling pranks on Halloween, and it's every bit as likely that this kid simply heard the stories about razor blades in candy and decided to pull a fast-one on folks.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

"Halloween" is one of the things I look forward to watching around that time of the year! I love that movie.

To the OP: I starred and flagged this simply because I love Halloween time and fall in general. I liked being reminded that it is coming soooooon!
....... so excited.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The razor blade clearly says not ever documented..i doubt there would be one but you never know

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

I love the movie too, just was merely pointing out how they (Hollywood) help to perpetuate a myth, with making movies about murders during halloween. I always watch them though, lol.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well, I never really believed most of that stuff on the list anyways. But, on the topic of Zombies..

Well, here's a list of why Zombies may be a reality.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hurrah! thank you for your post. as a wiccan minister, it is good to see some of the chicanery surrounding Samhain being dispelled. it is a very old and revered holiday, and deserved of it's due respect. it is no coincidence that All Soul's Day and Dios De Los Muertos occur at the same time.

however... i must disagree with you on a few of your debunks.

we should always be vigilant of Vampires & Zombies (and Werewolves, oh my)!!

Blessed Be.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

3. Halloween is the Devil's holiday

While the information you post is accurate. I do not think it is known as the Devil's holiday because of a false belief that the origins of Halloween center around Satanism.

This MYTH (I would call it more of a belief) is the result of Christians stigmatizing the holidays of pagan religions, who they viewed as agents of the devil.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I really enjoyed your post.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Black cats are bad luck. My mom had one run by her car and a a few days later it died. Granted it was old and it didn't work well when it was newer, and it just had a engine repair, but it was definatly the cat I know it

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Ahh, Samhain, my favorite holiday!
It's never too early for Halloween. My house is like Halloween house 24/7.

This is when the Misfits were good...

new topics

top topics

join