It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, NYC Wall St & JFK Airport will be under 20 Feet of Water!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The concern in the Metro areas is manyfold...yes buildings are not all built to codes for hurricane resistance...but the building issue becomes projectiles. Think loosened street signs; garbage cans; terrace flower pots; glass from blown out windows. Add in the storm surge (possibly at high tide) on already saturated grounds and THAT is where the flooding concerns come in.

Last week, in Pittsburgh, there were two back to back heavy thunderstorms (typical heavy summer storms mind you NOT hurricane level rain production). The ground was already saturated from storms earlier in the week...and coupled with aging infrastructure (sounds like NYC, Boston, Philly) four inches of rain turned intop a raging current, in moments of nine foot deep water. In a matter of minutes...a major highway, Washington Boulevard in Pittsburgh's Highland Park neighborhood became a river nine feet deep. Four people died (a mom and her two little girls in their submerged minivan) and a woman literally swept from her vehicle in the torrent.

What sewer system could handle a storm surge on already soddened ground.

Floods and flying debris will be the killers I fear. Seriously, if you are of faith send prayers (or good thoughts) to those in harms way.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Don't worry all those people going north to get supplies ready will be able to tackle the real issue of the hurricane (which is not the wind). I am confident that things are well under control and as an example I provide video evidence of the courage and resolve of the fine people of America.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thanks for that link berkeleygal. Will be something to watch.
Here are some more cams all up the coast.

www.nbcwashington.com...

This storm really is going to be causing a bunch of damage in a bunch of states unlike anything I have ever seen.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

And I only wish people would take the fear the way they should be. People die when they think oh it won`t happen to me. But hey if you think that way remember us and get some decent footage on youtube.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

The most pathetic news network I have ever seen. Its getting worst by the day.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

From the looks of it Irene will not even be a Huriicane when it hits New York. Worst case is lots of rain and normal thunderstorm winds. All the money spent preparing should be good for the economy.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by ignant

Talk about scaring people. Who needs doomer and gloomers when you have the government to do it for you? We can all make a worst case scenerio but is this actually the time to show it?

Actually I wouldn't call this one complete fear mongering. It is actually fairly accurate in that a Cat 3 storm making a direct hit into NY would make Katrina look like a day at the water park. When you take into account the tunneling systems, subways, etc etc.. it would be HUGE in the scale of devastation and loss of life.

Cat 2's traveling up the coast and losing strength is a different story. This storm by the time it reaches New York is slated to be a Tropical Storm and not even a Cat 1 Hurricane. So what your looking at is 39-73 mph wind gust and obscene amounts of rain. JFK will not be under 20 feet of water with THIS storm. That idea is just silly.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I hope this does not happen.Rupauls drag Race is filmed there.This water would ruin everything.

Also Mtv is there and all the tv shows and stars living there.I quess the moving out should begin,although what will the homeless do I wonder.Float I imagine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join