It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with ATS… Acceptance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Why is it that with every thread, ever so often, somebody calls hoax because the information is something that somebody posted in a forum of some sorts? Why is it that, unless the said information is from a news article of some sorts, people will dismiss said information. And heavens forbid that article should come from the Daily News or Sun.
And don’t ever, ever, EVER, mention the likes of Dived Icke and Credo Mutwa in a post, the scorn from fellow ATSrs will forever taint your credibility…

ATS is a place full of different ideas, different people, different levels of exposure/awareness and all of them are here for different reasons. Thus, it is understandable that some may not agree with others.
But the main reason why we are all here is to search for the truth that cannot be obtained elsewhere. Can you imagine if our governments were 100% completely and honestly truthful? Let that thought sink in for a second… Can you imagine how we would fight and protect that truth?

We choose which news to listen to based on the credibility of a stigma. Go read a Sun or a Daily News article (not celebrity news), yes, yes, I know some of it is hard to palate. But take a look at their weird stories and every one of them has a witness. A person who has a belief in what they saw. You think the UK edition is crazy, try South Africa’s. I read an article about a truck that had been in some sort of incident that saw it catch fire and burnt out. It was left in a field and when people came close to it the truck started up and tried to run them down. Several times! Kind of like that Christie movie.
Now what would a reputable media outlet do with a story like this? They’d chuck it in a bin. You can practically hear the editor saying, “No, we can’t print this! What are we The Sun?” Yet, there are those people, who experienced something they simply cannot explain… What makes them so much different than us ATSrs?

Its like you spend your whole life looking for the truth and then it comes knocking on your door and you shout, “Go away, I’m looking for the truth.”

All I’m saying is that we have a wonderful thing here on ATS.
Let’s protect it from what it’s worth!
Discourage trolling, help out the noobs, star and flag where it is deserved and don’t just brush off information simply by the stigma of its source, or lack of a more credible source. It is what it is. Just accept it as such.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I like and agree with most of your post.

I said something of the sort a few threads ago .

It went something like, most stories or posts on ATS have link to the MSN...
If they do not, people shout for links.

BUT BUT NONE on here trusts the MSN...............Bizarre

Much
edit on 26-8-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Also star and flag

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I believe that you shouldn't have a narrow point of view if you actually want the truth. Read the papers, watch the news, follow ATS threads, listen to the nay-sayers and the its-the-truthers. THEN make a more informed opinion on said subject. Just my stupid opinion though, what do I know

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I agree completely. S&F for you. I believe that there needs to be "research group topics" as has been done in the past. That way at least effort is being made by the community as a whole, not just one person who is just going to get called a disinfomant or a hoaxer or even worse, stupid.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You're preaching to the choir buddy.

I am a skeptical person half the time, although I make tons of gross assumptions, some right some wrong.
No one is perfect.

I will take the naysayers criticisms into consideration, and if they bear merit than perhaps they are worthy.

I just like to look at things from everyone's different points of view, and look for inconsistencies or misunderstandings that I may be able to aid them in reconciling.

I also look forward to others aiding myself in resolving my own inconsistencies and misunderstandings.

I actually believe that ATS in general will have the effect of spreading information and educating it's readers about many varied issues and topics. So I think ATS will make someone smarter, more interesting, better at debate and conversation, etc.

That really only applies to the average ATS member though, who is here for fun and because they enjoy reading topics like this and are seeking to find more. ATS is really fun for most of us, look at how addictive it can become haha.

There are folks out there who have an agenda to stop a discussion or something like that, even often times based entirely on illogical reasoning. We just have to learn to tolerate that and see if their reasoning pans out or not. If it doesn't and they are just being a jerk about things, ignore them. It's that easy.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

I do like your message and agree with you wholeheartedly. A society can only grow if its members can speak about their belief systems freely without fear of ridicule or persecution. I am one of those who do not post a comment if I do not have something positive or constructive to add to the topic in question. And I really do my best to place myself in someone else's shoes and view things from their perspective. That is the only way to really grow - one cannot be so self-centered in one's own belief that there is no room for a different viewpoint!

PS. I had to re-read your thread a couple of times, because your bio kept distracting me. As an Afrikaans-speaking person, I had to do a triple-take on that one LOL!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Personally, I reckon that after a period of time on this site you soon learn who you can trust and who you can't. That's not to say people don't get it wrong now and then but it's not that difficult a task to spot who's genuinely relaying what they believe and the others who are simply spouting crap for the sake of it.

Brings a fly into the ointment as some people may genuinely believe something that's proven to be incorrect but the more mature members will admit their mistake and carry on.

The way I see it? Simply be yourself, live and learn; I'm open to many ideas but time wasters are not people I like to spend my time (yes pun intended) with.

Take it easy

edit on 26/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Here's my thing...most of the people that believe in a conspiracy believe that MSM and TPTB are keeping things from us or flat out lying...but the first thing they ask when commenting under a thread is if its not from a source like CNN (or whatnot) they don't believe it....really? Isn't that the point of ATS? To bring news and ideas that aren't in MSM??? *sigh*

Then you have those that not only disagree but put it forth in such a mean, rude way. Its just so uncalled for. Really...makes you wonder why anyone is brave enough to try to put an idea or thought out there, IMO. Oh and my all time favorite is when they can't find anything in someone's post to truly complain about they fall back on spelling and grammar...grrr!!! How dare they report a story and spell something wrong...it must be untrue because they forgot the "e" in government! lol

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Your whole post is wrong and I believe someone is paying you to be a disinfo agent

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Your problem with stories in the Sun and its like is often that people haven't actually experienced the weirdness in the stories, they just make stuff up.

So you can't even rely that somebody actually saw whatever they say they saw.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
i agree. but i sometimes have some trouble with what seems to amount to censoring here on ATS. i can see not allowing incredible or unfounded posts, but why do we have to be shielded by a forum's moderators? why can't the ATS community handle the quality control here instead of posts or threads just being deleted? seriously! i think that's the best way: let it all be and let the real cream rise to the top.

i am thankful for this place, however. so much so that, after years of just reading, i had to register and start inputting! i am discouraged by authoritative removal of threads and posts here, it's confusing.

i love and admire the community here.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
When something is in the public domain people form an opinion, esp if some time has elapsed. I am a member of a couple of forums and every now and then have to remind myself not to take things too personally. The internets is a big community and people are gonna disagree. The reason I like my "real life" friends is i don't always agree with them, but I dont feel we have to. I am happy enough in my own opinions to feel comfortable with them and I'm not afraid fr them to evolve or, Cheesus forbid, be wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Your whole post is wrong and I believe someone is paying you to be a disinfo agent

are you serious or just messing with him.

What makes you think he is an agent from the darkside. (If your serious)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

Herbert Spencer

(27 April 1820 – 8 December 1903)

S & F OP

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
i think the problem is that theres just too many idiots.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

I'm joking mate

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I believe that most of us here on ATS have open minds, with the exception of the Political and Religious forums…but even there you will find civil debate going on coupled with drive by trolling.

If I read something I disagree with, I move on. Unless it is a point that I truly believe in. But I am always willing to see the other side’s point of view.

Often when I disagree, I try to use humor. Not to degrade the debate, but rather to diffuse it. Lately, if I find myself to angrily engaged, I cut myself off, until I’ve calmed.

A nice succinct Philosophy/Rant OP.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I agree with the spirit of this post, but I cannot wholeheartedly embrace it.

Sure, one of the most valuable things about ATS is the fact that this is an accepting community. It is a place where we can discuss things that others may dismiss out of hand. We can critically analyze the information that comes from the MSM or elsewhere.

That last bit--critical analysis--is just as important as freedom of discussion. If someone makes a thread about a runaway killer truck, I think it is perfectly fair for someone to point out that an article claiming that there were witnesses does not really constitute "evidence." People here should hesitate to accept anything just because someone else claims to have seen it--even if that "someone else" is not the MSM. The same scrutiny that is applied to mainstream media sources should be applied to any other source of information.

I advocate an approach to new information based on "benevolent skepticism." Be willing to entertain new ideas, no matter how crazy they seem at first. But don't cling to them when there is no support. What can we honestly gain from a discussion of runaway trucks based on a single article that is based on the account of eyewitnesses who may or may not be imaginary?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

I'm joking mate

OOps sorry padna, late in the evening here

top topics

<<   2 >>

join