It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are All My Green Tomatoes Never Turning Red?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Excessive heat above 85-90 degrees will cause them to remain green. Another thing to do next year is cut back all the stems below where the plant flowers so it puts more energy into producing fruit instead of growing.

From a very good website on gardening.

Always ripen tomatoes indoors! Tomatoes ripen from the bottom to the top and from the inside out. So never put them on a windowsill. That will only turn them red, not ripe. What you want to do is put them in a warm, dark spot and cover them with a single sheet of newspaper. These conditions are the ones tomatoes need most to continue their ripening process, which is internal. Light at this point is not necessary any longer.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Awesome, thank you!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I'm asking anyone out there who is growing tomatoes in their home gardens, outdoors.

This is the 2nd year in a row now that this has happened to my garden tomatoes. I have one I picked off the plant 2 weeks ago and left it on the kitchen window sill. It's still green and shows no signs of ripening to it's red color.

I started my 2nd generation tomatoes in March. I transplanted them into my outdoor garden in June when they exceeded 12 inches in height. I have about 18 tomato plants in my garden, all of them are producing tomatoes generously. The problem is that none of them are turning red and it's almost September!

I was hoping for some Fukushima fallout monster tomatoes, definitely got those, but after many weeks at their peak growth, not one is showing any signs of softening or ripening to it's red color.
At this rate I'm going to have about 150 or so green tomatoes by October.

Is anyone else experiencing this too? Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
-JJ

Too much water and acid. Add lime to the soil and let them go a day or two without H2O

new topics

<< 1   >>

join