It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are All My Green Tomatoes Never Turning Red?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm asking anyone out there who is growing tomatoes in their home gardens, outdoors.

This is the 2nd year in a row now that this has happened to my garden tomatoes. I have one I picked off the plant 2 weeks ago and left it on the kitchen window sill. It's still green and shows no signs of ripening to it's red color.

I started my 2nd generation tomatoes in March. I transplanted them into my outdoor garden in June when they exceeded 12 inches in height. I have about 18 tomato plants in my garden, all of them are producing tomatoes generously. The problem is that none of them are turning red and it's almost September!

I was hoping for some Fukushima fallout monster tomatoes, definitely got those, but after many weeks at their peak growth, not one is showing any signs of softening or ripening to it's red color.
At this rate I'm going to have about 150 or so green tomatoes by October.

Is anyone else experiencing this too? Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
-JJ

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Maybe you have a green tomato plant.
Or maybe you are color blind.

PS I just asked my mom "Tomato Farmer of the Year" and she says
this year her plants didn't grow at all because of the heat.
? idk

edit on 26-8-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

They're not green tomato plants, last year they turned red, but after I brought them inside and December rolled around. I wasn't going to leave them to die outside before the tomatoes ripened so I brought them inside under lamps to keep them growing. I picked tomatoes off them till about January when they stopped producing.

I took the seeds from my fastest, biggest tomatoes and that's what I currently have in my garden. One tomato has been at full size since late July but isn't ripening, softening, or growing any bigger at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Hmmm, Idk
What is the temperature at night over there?
If it gets too cold they wont ripen..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Don't know but i've read similar complaints on other threads so you're not the only one experiencing this.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
That's why I started this thread, I have read about this from other people and was wondering if there was a known cause or solution to this issue.

The temp at night here gets to about 60 degrees at it's coldest, we did get to around 50 degrees one night though. The days have been mixed with rain and sun to the point where I haven't needed to water them in weeks now, they are getting just the right amounts of water and sunlight. They look great, just not ripening any time soon it looks like.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If the Temp goes under 50 at night it can stop ripening.
Maybe that's what happened?
Idk

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I don't know why your tomatoes won't ripen, but when life hands you a lemon- make some lemonade!
Fried green tomatoes are awesome and everyone I know loves them around here. Don't let them go to waste!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I won't thanks. Is it normal for a picked tomato to stay green and firm more than 2 weeks after being picked? That's unusual to me, most tomatoes I've picked that were still green and fully grown ripened within 2-3 days.

The temp here hasn't gone below 50 that I know of. Last October some ripened when temps were getting chilly but most stayed green until I brought them indoors.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Try putting a few in a brown paper bag along with a ripe banana and close it up good. Leave the bag in a warm sunny window for a few days and see if that will start them ripening. That's my method.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Never heard that 1 before, I will try it.

The tomato I picked 2+ wks ago is starting to rot it seems, no reddening whatsoever. Strange.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I'm sorry...but I don't have a direct answer on why your tomatoes have not ripened...but...I do have a good recipe for you...for (fried green tomatoes)

Link: simplyrecipes.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

When the banana is sealed in a brown paper bag it puts off some kind of natural banana gas that has the effect of speeding the ripening process of whatever fruits or vegetables you seal in the bag with it. Don't know why it works for sure, but it has always done the trick for me. It's something my great-grandmaw taught me years ago and that lady knew her business!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
my tomatos took forever to turn red but they finally did
guy told me it was too dry
I grew 'Cherokee' non-hybrid so I can save the seed

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

My plants are definitely not dry, if anything they are over watered after some heavy rain days.

I am eager to try the brown bag trick, if it works then it may just save my whole harvest!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I was listening to a home and garden show on the radio and a caller called in with the very same question. According to the host if in the day its above 90 tomatoes wont ripen. If at night it doesnt go below 80 they wont ripen.

According to him anyway.

PS dont ask why im tuned in to a home and garden show on the radio. If paint drying made a sound I dont think i could tell the difference between the two.

The temps might be slightly off as i wasnt paying super close attention. Basically if its hot and stays how they stay green.
edit on 26-8-2011 by SiKFury because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is my first time doin a garden and I have been having the same problem, my Okra, Chilies, squash corn and everything else is fine but no matter what the tomatos will not turn red only a very few have an i was jus thinkin it was because of my lack of experience but good to kno i am no the only one

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Don't panic bro....

here is my Fried Green tomato recipe..

cut large or small Green tomato's into slices...

roll in corn flour..

fry in a hot IRON pan until crispy..(use Bacon Grease)

eat them...

good stuff and not wasted....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

what is the sun to shade mix??? tomatoes need full sun while their growing also have you checked their soil consistancy? tomatoes love acidic soil i put all mt cofee grounds around the base of my plants and they love it! ps i live in southern mi

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gregldd

My plants are in direct sunlight until about 2 hours before dusk when the sun is blocked by the house and trees. The sun arches right over the garden. I have not checked the pH of the soil though. I've been using crushed dry eggshells sometimes on the soil because I heard that was a good natural fertilizer, and I use garlic as a bug repellent and it's worked fine, all the leaves are not chewed on.

The plants keep sprouting new flowers and there are a ton of tomatoes already, it's just that they aren't turning red. They get really large then stay that way, if I leave them alone they start to rot at the tops of them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join