It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News!: NYC Evacuates Quarter Million Citizens Due To Approaching Hurricane Irene

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

It isn't just the locals. The national news is all fired up about this being the next Katrina. There's big money in this panic. So next month the consumer index points to an improving economy. Meanwhile gas sales have skyrocketed. Don't get me wrong as I do not want anyone to get hurt because of this weather and surges. Irene will be a Cat1 when it exits N Carolina (with a partially collapsed eye wall). I do feel the media is way overplaying this one. The eyewall will stay off the coast, and the worst part of it will be northeast of the eye. It already shows signs of weakening in intensity as evening draws near and it moves into cooler water. Storm surge will be the biggest problem so please all be careful of that.
Hurricane Hugo was no sprinter either and regardless of what was broadcast about it, we had Cat5 short term sustained winds and many buildings made it ok. My dad was a claims investigator in the insurance aftermath of it and saw the documents.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Wow. I'm 40 years old, was born in the Bronx, grew up on Long Island and have never seen an evacuation order for NYC. What a week-a monster storm poised to strike a few days after one of the most powerful earthquakes in decades hits New York.

As far as I can recall, the only storm to approach the New York metro area that came close to this in hype was Hurricane Gloria in 1985, which was predicted to basically destroy Long Island. It caused damage, but not as bad as expected. Hopefully the same thing happens with Irene-not just for NYC, but the whole east coast.

edit on 26-8-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: typo

edit on 26-8-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Goradd

I may actually throw away flash lights and batteries before it gets to me, that's how confident I am that this is just fear mongering for New Englanders....

I don't know if you are a moron or a genius, but the mental picture of you throwing away your flashlights and batteries made me laugh out loud!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Well, then since you have lived in new england for 4 decades now then you know that Hurricanes do not just pop out of nowhere and there are warnings, i'm not debating the fact that there might not be any sizable damage...what i was responding to was ur comment on having little to no warning which is not true....maybe in the 1800's or early 1900's but not now with modern technology

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadesofGrey78
Wow. I'm 40 years old, was born in the Bronx, grew up on Long Island and have never seen an evacuation order for NYC. What a week-a monster storm poised to strike a few days after one of the most powerful earthquakes in decades hits New York.

As far as I can recall, the only storm to approach the New York metro area that came close to this in hype was Hurricane Gloria in 1985, which was predicted to basically destroy Long Island. It caused damage, but not as bad as expected. Hopefully the same thing happens with Irene-not just for NYC, but the whole east coast.

edit on 26-8-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: typo

edit on 26-8-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: (no reason given)

i remember Hurricane Gloria vividly, as i was in elementary school and what was amazing was that the bus driver drove us into knee deep water, got stuck, then just opened the door and told us to walk home. i had to carry a younger 2nd grader thru the deep parts, as i walked home all the way across highways, service roads, etc from Flushing to Jackson heights (magnet school). during which, not one cop or anyone came to help the kids. and there was no bus monitor, even. kids could have drowned, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
When I want to combat fear mongering,
I do research.

Here is the most recent image of sea surface temperatures
I could find. It's for August 26th, 2011.

Obviously there is a huge blank area as the infrared
from satalite couldn't penetrate the storm.

For comparison here is a video of
sea surface temps from 1983 to 1998.
August looks pretty normal.
Mabe a tad above normal.

If the ocean temp running up along the eastern sea board
is rather high, I would take this hurricane very very seriously.
They can gain energy over warmer waters.
And it does appear that there are a few spikes.

Maybe someone can find a better image of the current sea surface temps.
That would go a long way towards making an informed decision.

Hope this helps.

David Grouchy
edit on 26-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: spelling

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There is an old saying: Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. That is what I am doing.

I'm in Western Massachusetts. Here is what is going on here:

My son is in an Army Reserve Unit (federal level) who's purpose is supply. He was activated, as well as a number of his unit mates this morning. Some of them were activated last night. My understanding is that FEMA is setting up at the base 3 miles from me, and the base is being prepared as a jumping off point for all of the northeast, they have already started diverting supplies to the base. The governor activated state national guard about 8 hours after my son was activated, and more than 12 hours after some of the others in his unit were. Dams have been opened and water reserves are being siphoned off to stave off some of the potential flooding.

I have lived in this area all my life, (nearly 50 years) and I have NEVER seen something of this level. We recently had some tornadoes go through here, and even with the widespread damage, there wasn't this much activity.

Either this is a huge over reaction or the media (which I don't trust) is downplaying it dramatically.

I'm praying for the best for all of us, and hoping that this is just an overreaction. With all the information siphoning down to me I'm beginning to feel that it's not.
edit on 8/26/2011 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: to add

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is also wise to pay close attention to storm surge models - this element has great destructive power but is not seen on the "hurricane trackers" - and can vary widely from little to worst case scenario, depending on the tidal conditions upon arrival, etc. So for those who are dismissive of the danger, don't forget to keep your eyes on this, and not just the category of the storm as it currently is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join