It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News!: NYC Evacuates Quarter Million Citizens Due To Approaching Hurricane Irene

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's the link on yahoo news: NYC evacuates quarter million!

I didn't see this posted elsewhere. To all our friends in NYC, we are watching and wishing you the best during this storm. Be safe guys!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well this is a busy week for the US East coast

Big Earthquake
Big Hurricane

what could be next

edit on 8/26/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The more fear mongering about this hurricane I see, the more I feel relaxed about it.
The worst hurricanes I've lived through had little to no warnings, ALL the ones they warn us about 1-2 weeks in advance have all been disappointments.

Something is bizarre about all these states of emergency. I've seen a hundred hurricanes just like this one, what makes this one so special compared to the others? Something just feels "off" about all this hype.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
wow considering its only Friday and the storm isnt expected to hit NYC till Sunday nite, the number of evacuees will skyrocket by tomorrow and sunday!

wouldnt be surprised if 1/2 of NYC is flooded out, that seems to be the aim based on steering and past false flags.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If you know people in the NYC area who are planning on resisting the call to evacuate call them and encourage them to leave now, its not worth risking their safety to remain in the target area with a hurricane bearing down on the city.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i'm a little suspicious of this "over-reacting" of the city officials. The Idiot Mayor/Tyrant Bloomberg bungled the blizzard in a big way - he's trying to save face

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
The more fear mongering about this hurricane I see, the more I feel relaxed about it.
The worst hurricanes I've lived through had little to no warnings, ALL the ones they warn us about 1-2 weeks in advance have all been disappointments.

Something is bizarre about all these states of emergency. I've seen a hundred hurricanes just like this one, what makes this one so special compared to the others? Something just feels "off" about all this hype.

Especially the evacuation of massive 40 US warships
they are ready to waste that much fuel to displace huge reinforce modern army ship .. WTH
something is up .. they wouldnt move those ship unless it was REALLY necessary

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

...its giving me rita evac ptsd syndrome - jk, sorta kinda... i didnt evac (lived just a bit nw of houston then) but many of my family and friends that lived closer to the coast did... what usually took an hour via car took half a day or more... what a nightmare that was because it was handled so stupidly... they shouldve opened up all the lanes on interstates northbound or westbound - but - no, rick perry was too spineless to do that... so lots of folks suffered in grid lock... some died...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Storms like this don't hit NYC regularly, or at least when they do they aren't named storms but have been downgraded to tropical depressions or tropical storms. If this storm were to maintain strength and make landfall at say a cat 3 it would be a hair away from a worst case scenario because NYC is just not designed for frequent storms of this nature. Having worked in the disaster services field for over 3 years this was our nightmare scenario that we discussed from time to time, the prospect of a full blown hurricane hitting NYC directly instead of just grazing.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I'm wondering if the Earthquake felt across the Eastern USA just a few days ago is having an influence on the matter.

Perhaps people are still kind of shaken and all this talk of a hurricane is just adding to the hysteria?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't think it is overreacting, but taking multiple the factors into account.

The size. The storm is bigger than Katrina was at it's strongest. Being as big as it is, there will be a period of sustained high wind activity that could be for a period of in excess of 24 hours. This increases the potential for damage.

The average temperature of the affected areas is higher than normal, in some places up to near 10 degrees warmer than normal. Warmer air can have an impact on the duration of the storm (colder air/water decrease intensity) and wind speeds.

Population density. This part of the US is pretty densely populated, meaning more people affected, and a higher probability of flash mobs and looting after the storm.

As you can see by the above stated factors, there is justifiable reason for concern.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Especially the evacuation of massive 40 US warships
they are ready to waste that much fuel to displace huge reinforce modern army ship .. WTH
something is up .. they wouldnt move those ship unless it was REALLY necessary

First it's navy ships, second they're nuclear powered to fuel is not an issue. These ships are designed to ride out large storms like this in deep water, not slamming against port walls.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Population density. This part of the US is pretty densely populated, meaning more people affected, and a higher probability of flash mobs and looting after the storm.

As you can see by the above stated factors, there is justifiable reason for concern.

exactly, and likewise, theres no reports of national guard or fema response preparedness.

all info points to shutdown, evacuation, and abandon ship. in other worlds, worse than Katrina.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

That, plus National Security. A fleet of ships is useless if they are stuck in port during a huge storm. To avoid that you move them out to sea where they can avoid the storm and still be ready to deploy if needed.

The subs will still be protecting us near shore.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

there are always warnings when it comes to Hurricanes, so you are wrong there....hurricanes do not come out of nowhere like tornadoes do, they take time to develope and are tracked by meteorologist....so saying that one has no warning is false, more likely is people don't pay attention to the news or weather

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think the issue may be there are a lot more glass building now than they had in 1938.

Just something to think on. They know the first floor of many buildings floods with surge as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

I've lived in New England for almost 4 decades, I know hurricanes, cleaned my share of broken trees from them. I made a bet with my gf that our lights won't so much as flicker from this storm when it rolls right on top of us Sunday, and we lose power if a humming bird lands on a wire.

I'm guessing 30mph gusts at best over New Hampshire, which is no different than a regular storm here.
I may actually throw away flash lights and batteries before it gets to me, that's how confident I am that this is just fear mongering for New Englanders.... I'm not saying the coastlines down south won't endure strong winds, I'm saying New England isn't going to get scuffed hardly at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Well this is a busy week for the US East coast

Big Earthquake
Big Hurricane

what could be next

edit on 8/26/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

The only other thing left would be a nuclear issue due to storms

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

8-15" of rain up and down the coast, that is a lot of water for the sewer systems to move not to mention the rain that falls on the higher grounds and runs and pools. That and the ground is already saturated from this and the other storm...

NEW YORK — Record rainfall around New York City hobbled travelers and flooded roads Sunday. John F. Kennedy International Airport reported 7.72 inches Sunday night — the most ever recorded there in a single day. The driving rain broke the previous record of 6.3 inches, set in 1983, the National Weather Service said.
articles.nydailynews.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
I think the issue may be there are a lot more glass building now than they had in 1938.

Just something to think on. They know the first floor of many buildings floods with surge as well.

this is true. i live in williamsburg, brooklyn, where over the past 10-15 years the zoning changed from commercial to residential. Now all the new buildings are "all flash" as i say - they are built to look good, but not very sound. They are almost all glass and have been having issues with flooding/heavy rain already.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join