It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover massive underground river 13,000 feet beneath the Amazon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Scientists discover massive underground river 13,000 feet beneath the Amazon

news.mongabay.com

Researchers at Brazil's National Observatory have discovered evidence of a massive underground river flowing deep beneath the Amazon River

Like the Amazon, the river flows west to east, but is considerably wider (200-400 kilometers) and moves at only a fraction of the speed of the giant surface river.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The Amazon is Earth's largest river — every day up to 17 billion metric tons of water flow into the Atlantic Ocean. For reference, the Amazon discharges enough fresh water daily into the Atlantic to supply New York City’s freshwater needs for nine years.

news.mongabay.com...

This is fairly interesting
Should we leave it intact or explore it?

INever know what's down there but at the same time if we explore and make a path to it we will probably just pollute it.

news.mongabay.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Pic or it never happen

couldnt resist

Maybe that river lead to the center of the world
where dinosaurs still live
edit on 8/26/2011 by Ben81 because: S&F

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Soz bud, already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I thought it was known there were underground rivers under the Amazon, I guess its the specific river that is new. As for exploration I dont think enough people could go down there to polute it, its not like the can do logging or anything. Actually lets hope there is no oil down there, I take what I just said back, leave it alone. :/

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

kinda makes sightings of giant anacondas a bit more credible,but would not want to visit it in a canoe with xenon headlights

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Very interesting, it seems it was a river created by ancient aliens, for what reason? I don't know.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. The real issue with this is to make sure that it does not get tainted now that it has been discovered. There is most likely dozens of animal life that live off the water that flows through the river.

I also like the theory that it has the potential to run underground to some unknown land where creatures such as dinosaurs etc could possible exist.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hmm this does mean a lot.
If it's true, than this is where reptilians get their water from.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mexicanatheist

I must have missed the part that explained that...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
According to Professor Jostrum of Sweden, in his book "Subdue the Earth", he states that during the depth of Ice Ages sea level world wide drops by as much as 6000 meters below the present day level. Thus even during Ice Ages the flow of the "Hamza River" is going to be 2000 meters above Ice Age sea level. The "Hamza River" is still flowing into the Atlantic Sea Basin at 4000 meters [13,000 feet] below the present day sea level. There must be other underground rivers around the world that are flowing in much the same way out of the continental shelf into the oceans at around about the same 4000 meters below present day sea level. Really interesting since there must be caves that go down to a depth of 4000 meters. The caves would be fascinating to explore, but since they are probably entirely flooded with water we would not be able to. However, there could be areas of the underground rivers that are air pockets ? Connecting to the surface ? Inhabited by lost civilizations ? Does this flow of deep underground water come close to explaining the appearance of "sink holes" ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7c52cc022f0.jpg[/atsimg]

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 27/8/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kolya

i to dont get where ppl could just assume that the river has any reference to aliens im a firm believer in such things but ppl plz dnt make us all look like religious nuts make you reference when you some sort of facts not pure speculation you make the rest of us look like idiots

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

what you have said has gave me one more credible that i can work on see were it takes me thanks i will be making a thread in about a mounth i need this time to gather facts and sound theories on how alot of the topics on this site can be linked not because i say so i will just present the facts and obviously some will be starched but i wonder myself how far

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
According to Professor Jostrum of Sweden, in his book "Subdue the Earth", he states that during the depth of Ice Ages sea level world wide drops by as much as 6000 meters below the present day level.

A mistake in translation? It's more like 120 meters .......

6,000 meters would have left all of the world's oceanss bone dry, with just a few pools left in deep ocean trenches.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Mongabay is usually a pretty reliable news source in my experience, but the whole story just did not ring quite true. And so it is:

Subterranean Amazon river 'is not a river'

The "river" has been widely reported, after a study on it was presented to a Brazilian science meeting last week.

But the researchers involved told BBC News that water was moving through porous rock at speeds measured in cm, or inches, per year - not flowing.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

thanks for the heads up i was about to wast time by checking source thats why i love more minds make easy work thanks to all but thanks to poster of this thread at the time it was more than worth posting

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is very cool & I love stuff like this. Have to agree with the poster saying they hoped it's left alone. Sadly, I'm sure if they find evidence of oil they will ruin it.

And not to bash anyone but do we reallly have to say stuff like, "it's where the dinosaurs are" or "it's where aliens get water." Stuff like that comes off not very good...

top topics

join