It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the United States Become Isolated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
What would happen if the US isolated itself from the rest of the world? In no way am I advocating this, I just think it would make an interesting topic.

We spend BILLIONS of dollars a year on foreign aid alone. These are not loans, they are gifts to other countries. Just imagine what this could do for our infrastructure and economy if this money stayed home.

Also, how much money do we spend on the military in foreign countries. I'm just talking about our military based in foreign countries, not combative operations. If those troops and machinery were to be housed in the US, not only would the budget be lower, but our borders would be much more secure than they are now. Would this eliminate terrorism against the US?

These actions, of course, would have adverse effects as well. If we were to eliminate foreign aid, what would happen to the other countries around the world dependent on us? Would they survive? What kind of impact would this have on the US, and more specifically, the world?

What would happen if the US military presence around the world were to leave? Would countries fall into disarray and would anarchy reign?

Could the US economy survive on its own? Exactly how dependent would we be on foreign imports if we kept all of our money at home? Would we open ourselves up to attack by simply keeping our money and resources home?

I realize this isn't practical, but I am interested in your thoughts.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Then we bring home all soldiers, re-evaluate international relations along with our trade agreements. After that, it is hard to tell. One can never predict the future.

If the USA isolated itself, the world around would complain, while a rare few would approve.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
many times i've wished we would become isolationist, even if just for a short amount of time. for example, every time i hear of an "ally" turning it's back on us or bad mouthing us in it's press after we've sent them who knows how much in financial and humanitarian aid. some people believe so much of the world hates us. well i'm willing to bet if we went isolationist, those countries would quickly reevaulate themselves and realize just how co-dependent they're on us.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Or the rest of the world might find out they get by just fine without us.

I think our economy depends too much on what goodwill we have left in the world to ignore it. Isolation might work for a year or two, but so many of our trade partners expect some fed kickbacks (my term, others call it foreign aid) for them to maintain a favorable trade environment. If they don't get the frosting, they won't want the cake.

Did that make sense??

God, I hope so....

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Or the rest of the world might find out they get by just fine without us.

I think our economy depends too much on what goodwill we have left in the world to ignore it. Isolation might work for a year or two, but so many of our trade partners expect some fed kickbacks (my term, others call it foreign aid) for them to maintain a favorable trade environment. If they don't get the frosting, they won't want the cake.

Did that make sense??

God, I hope so....

Good Point - Wouldn't it make sense, though, that if they wanted to maintain that favorable trade environment, they may be willing to make some concessions to us to continue this environment?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Wars outside the US are generally fabricated on lies. For an excellent and timeless essay on this written by a famous Marine who won two MOHs read:

lexrex.com...

With a country as robust in climate and resources as the US we could stay militarily neutral with only a self-defense force and do very well for ourselves. Just look at Scandanavian countries, or Switzerland.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   

The countries getting foreign aid aren't really big trading partners.
All of the biggest trading partners are donators of foreign aid themselves.
There are military bases in some of those countries but I don't think they would be sad to see them go.

Here's a list of recipients of the $19 billion in foreign aid for 2005:
FY2005 US Foreign Aid recipients

[edit on 21-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf

Good Point - Wouldn't it make sense, though, that if they wanted to maintain that favorable trade environment, they may be willing to make some concessions to us to continue this environment?

Well, yes and no I think. To be Isolated we would also have to get rid of the lowered tariffs, subsidised shipping and other perks we give corporations in other countries to make sure they come and play in our yard.

Without those they may find greener pastures elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
The countries getting foreign aid aren't really big trading partners.
All of the biggest trading partners are donators of foreign aid themselves.
There are military bases in some of those countries but I don't think they would be sad to see them go.
[edit on 21-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

Please see the post above, I include those items\practices as fed kickbacks. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. Notice I was worried about making sense!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
Wars outside the US are generally fabricated on lies. For an excellent and timeless essay on this written by a famous Marine who won two MOHs read:

lexrex.com...

With a country as robust in climate and resources as the US we could stay militarily neutral with only a self-defense force and do very well for ourselves. Just look at Scandanavian countries, or Switzerland.

Thats True, But I'd rather be a military super power then just another guy(country).

Although I think that we give way to much money and food and aid to other countries. We even offered North Korea help when they had that train explode a few months back! Did they (or ant other country) send us any sort of aid or money or help when a category 4 hurricane hit Flordia.No.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Well, yes and no I think. To be Isolated we would also have to get rid of the lowered tariffs, subsidised shipping and other perks we give corporations in other countries to make sure they come and play in our yard.

Without those they may find greener pastures elsewhere.

I agree. However, if many of those overseas companies didn't come here, wouldn't we have more jobs? Of course, these jobs wouldn't be as high paying as they are now, but our cost of living wouldn't be as high. Of course, this is all speculation. Who could really "predict" the effects?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well, I guess we could look back at other times the US has assumed an isolationist stance and see what happened then. I am definately not a good enough historian to comment on that, but maybe someone else here is?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Well, I guess we could look back at other times the US has assumed an isolationist stance and see what happened then. I am definately not a good enough historian to comment on that, but maybe someone else here is?

It's a good thought, but the last time we were isloationist the world was a much different place. In my opinion, we have gone down that slippery slope where we can't go back. It would be nice, however, to dream as to what it would be like. Perhaps the world wouldn't dislike us so much (even though we contribute much more than we detract).

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

lexrex.com...

Thats True, But I'd rather be a power military super power then just another guy(country).

So basically, 30% of every one of your paychecks is the cost you're paying for you, personally, to be a military super power.

"You," the taxpayer, are not a military superpower. You pay for one and somehow connect nationalistic pride to the military.

We could be a military superpower by protecting ourselves.

If we are truly interested in protecting America, it should be done without sending the bulk of our military to the other side of the world to play in the quicksand invading third-world countries.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Nah, people ALWAYS hate the fat cats. That's just human nature. Maybe we could tie a 1000 dollar bill around our necks to get other countries to play with us?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

lexrex.com...

Thats True, But I'd rather be a power military super power then just another guy(country).

So basically, 30% of every one of your paychecks is the cost you're paying for you, personally, to be a military super power.

"You," the taxpayer, are not a military superpower. You pay for one and somehow connect nationalistic pride to the military.

We could be a military superpower by protecting ourselves.

If we are truly interested in protecting America, it should be done without sending the bulk of our military to the other side of the world to play in the quicksand invading third-world countries.

Exactly my point. What would be the monetary benefits to the common man in the form of taxes as opposed to the negative drawbacks from this new policy?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Is it time to cut off Isreal? What is our infatuation with this country? Why are they the biggest recepient of foreign aid? They have a military that is clearly dominant over their immediate rivals.

Is this one of the main reasons the US is so hated throughout the world? Is this why OBL and his followers wish to attack us? What effect would it have on the world (and us) if we were to mind our own business and stop being big brother?

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Is it time to cut off Isreal? What is our infatuation with this country? Why are they the biggest recepient of foreign aid? They have a military that is clearly dominant over their immediate rivals.

Is this one of the main reasons the US is so hated throughout the world? Is this why OBL and his followers wish to attack us? What effect would it have on the world (and us) if we were to mind our own business and stop being big brother?

Because Israel does what America wants done, but they can do it without dealing with all the political pressure. If the US bombed Iraqs nuke plant back in the 80's we would still be hearing about it today, But Israel did it, and America agreed with the smart move.

America and Israel agree on a lot of things, like not wanting any damn country to get nukes like NK & Iran.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I agree. It's like Israel is our hired thug in that region, but don't other countries in Europe have the same concerns regarding turmoil in the Middle East? While I know it's not going to happen, perhaps it is time to take the training wheels off of the bike of Israel and let them be an adult.

If we weren't so involved in their business (and other countries as well), would the hatred of the US by terrorists be softened just a bit? Maybe it is time to stop being the world police and start concentrating on solving our own internal problems.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Isolationism is dangerous and has really never worked well for the US, nor for the now-modern role it has in the world. If the US takes an isolationism move, this will further endanger our foreign policy initiatives, credibility, economy, and will undoubtedly have a drastic effect on the world economy, since the US economy now acts like an "EverReady" battery for it.

seekerof

top topics

<<   2 >>

join