It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb incident in Canterbury. We've been evacuated

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Canterbury East Station is the main epic centre. A package has been found on the tracks; a specific threat was made to the police, via a phone call. Reportedly, unconfirmed, but certain "keywords" were used in the warning. Would venture into town, but the police have shut everything down.

Army is currently out.

If they use code words as you claim, then they know who it was.

Most likely, the RIRA.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What is the purpose of hoaxing a bomb at a train station? The only thing I can think if is a diversion, but a diversion from what?

Glad you and the rest of our UK members near the area are ok Infinite .

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Keywords = "bomb", "kill", "death", "maim", "Allah Akbar", "of course I mean it", etc.

Why = "disgruntled twat", (Britsh use of the word), "because someone can", "wants to be annoying". Just like someone who sets a fire and sits and watches the response "for a laugh".

Who knows why people do things like this, but bomb alerts are fairly common and nothing to write home to mother about.

Regards

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
What is the purpose of hoaxing a bomb at a train station? The only thing I can think if is a diversion, but a diversion from what?

Glad you and the rest of our UK members near the area are ok Infinite .

Disruption duh

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

If you pick a particular station that is a convergance point in the network, such as Reading (IRA bombed it in the 90's) or Birmingham, then you can litterally choke a significant portion of the entire rail network. For example, shutting Reading down would cut off Wales, the South West and portions of the Midlands from London.

Doing something at Canterbury isn't quite so obvious as it is in Kent and away from the bulk of the UK network, but would still cause significant disruption with the loss of through trains I suppose.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

If you pick a particular station that is a convergance point in the network, such as Reading (IRA bombed it in the 90's) or Birmingham, then you can litterally choke a significant portion of the entire rail network. For example, shutting Reading down would cut off Wales, the South West and portions of the Midlands from London.

Doing something at Canterbury isn't quite so obvious as it is in Kent and away from the bulk of the UK network, but would still cause significant disruption with the loss of through trains I suppose.

You will have to pardon my naivety as I don't live near any railways that are used for public transportation. My understanding of them comes from a brief visit to Manchester a few years ago and a few years riding the BART in Cali when I was in the NAVY. I honestly didn't realize the amount of disruption a situation like this could cause or how wide spread it could be. Thanks for replying with intelligence as opposed to others who answered my question.

So, this was to cause a sever disruption in the transportation system that would affect a wide area of public transportational coverage. Ok, I understand that, but then that begs the question, why is this person/group trying to disrupt the transportation system? I think I am trying to dive into the heads of these nut jobs.
edit on 27-8-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
News is reporting its a hoax.

not sure if you knew.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You will have to pardon my naivety as I don't live near any railways that are used for public transportation. My understanding of them comes from a brief visit to Manchester a few years ago and a few years riding the BART in Cali when I was in the NAVY. I honestly didn't realize the amount of disruption a situation like this could cause or how wide spread it could be. Thanks for replying with intelligence as opposed to others who answered my question.

Not a problem chap
.. You would be surprised just how much disruption something seemingly minor or random can have if it is done at the right time and place.

Even in my day to day job, given a certain set of circumstances, a foolish mistake or maliciousness at the right time, I could cause blackouts nationwide, the collapse of the telephony network, cut off the BBC or even significantly hinder the work of the Government, depending on what it was that was done.

God forbid any terrorists ever actually plan a proper attack and figure out that the poorly secured building I work in would be ideal to shut down the UK. All you have to do is beat up a Latvian or Nepalese security guard at the front desk, force him to open a couple of doors and all hell would break loose.

Thankfully though, terrorists are actually quite inept and hit soft targets of no real stretegic value other than causing fear...

So, this was to cause a sever disruption in the transportation system that would affect a wide area of public transportational coverage. Ok, I understand that, but then that begs the question, why is this person/group trying to disrupt the transportation system? I think I am trying to dive into the heads of these nut jobs

To be honest, this could have been a hoax by an organised gang or group, or some random disgruntled nobhead just out to cause trouble.

If it was an organised group, such as RIRA or some Islamic cell, quite why they would choose Canterbury for this activity is beyond me.

It wouldn't affect anything than local traffic from that area of Kent, nothing of any real significance is there and even the Eurostar (which goes near Canterbury) uses it's own high speed rail line as opposed to the standard network and as far as I know, it hasn't had any disruption..

It's all a bit strange..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join