It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Suggested board feature: ATS Youtube Collection

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would like to suggest a new feature that (in my opinion) would be a great addition. I've seen so many cool and/or informative Youtube videos linked to all these posts here. As it's nearly impossible to read every post written on ATS or find all those videos linked to I always fear that I miss the best topic/video.

What about an option/counter to say that I liked this YT video or even a fully automated video link list generated out of all those posts? Each time I use those special tags to include a YT video it coulb be added to a global ATS YT list. And if it's possible a ranking system maybe according to the flags the post with this video has.

What do you think about this?




posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Riding The Tube

Many moons ago, back when ATS was written on stone tablets, there was actually a huge tagging project that rewarded members for tagging posts. The tags, in turn, were aggregated into a search feature that offered members a rather handy way of accessing related content.

There were, unsurprisingly, more than a few issues, like "tag spamming for points" and lots of pointless, nonsensical one-off tags, as well as obscene or otherwise inappropriate tags. I don't remember the exact reason, but somewhere along the way, the tag feature dropped off the map.

Sorry, a bit of a tangent, but how that relates to YouTube videos is that I would imagine a feature for aggregating them would probably be similar to the old tagging concept, and probably not limited to YouTube content.

Members are always asking for better search features, and I know Bill often experiments with new ideas, but ultimately whatever comes from it is up to him.

Whether tags or just a simple search for "yvid" tags, it would be a nice option to have, maybe integrated with media.abovetopsecret.com somehow, but as for when or if that would happen, only the Overlord knows for sure.






edit on 8/27/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Or how about 5 or 6 channels on youtube for ATS to post all of the videos linked here. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but what about putting all the videos linked on ATS into one section of the website? Either way it would be fantastic, IMHO.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic
 

Thanks for the reply. I know that spamming is a huge problem with nearly every feature introduced today. I have written some board additions and an IRC bot (intendet to add real value to a channel like adding Google and Wikipedia queries) and noticed that it just took a few days until all those evil users take over your cool feature to do annoying thinks or spam other


And regarding points or whatever system one uses there is one main problem: The evil users try everything (investing hours) to push theit content or make other content bad. The real users with high quality content often don't use these features. I see it myself that I only use those stars/flags for really good ideas as my level of what to expect is quite high. So in percentages all the good content receives 10% of the points and all those evil users pushes their content with the other 90%. But this is a main problem with humans and nothing that can be changed I guess


Hmm, while thinking about this a bit I would like to add something. There is one think that really hurts those evil users: spending money on something. 'm sure that this suggestion want make it into ATS but what about this:

A possibility to add some funds to my ATS profile using paypal or whatever. Than adding QualityPoints to each post. Each time I add a QualityPoint to ones post he will receive 1 Cent (or maybe even adjustable from 1-5 or whatever). And in order to prevent funny point adding from one evil user to another the same amount (or maybe 50%) will be transfered to a special ATS account. You can use these 'donations' to pay a little salary to all the mods here (was a mod in another board and know that it's hard work), pay for the hardware...



new topics

top topics
 
2

log in

join