It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto GM Corn In Peril: Beetle Develops BT Resistance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Monsanto GM Corn In Peril: Beetle Develops BT Resistance

foodfreedom.wordpress.com

Nature herself may be the best opponent of genetically modified crops and pesticides. Not only plants, but insects are also developing resistance. The Western rootworm beetle – one of the most serious threats to corn – has developed resistance to Monsanto’s Bt-corn, and entire crops are being lost. [Image]

Farmers from several Midwest states began reporting root damage to corn that was specifically engineered with a toxin to kill the rootworm. Iowa State University entomologist Aaron Gassmann recently confirmed that the beetle, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera, has developed resista
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Never did I imagine I would celebrate the failure of entire crops of corn. Then again, I never imagined nature wielding another weapon in its endless supply of defenses against the despotic rule of Monsanto.

It seems that nature is so adaptive that it only takes three years for these beetles to evolve a coping mechanism allowing them to adapt to such unnatural agricultural conditions. Although Monsanto is encouraging its farmers to invest strictly in its three-prong-attack corn stock, we now have reason to hope it will only force another adaptation, and another corporate failure.

I want nothing more than the failure of Monsanto. They are the most vile and dispicable of the vile and dispicable. There just isn't enough Makers Mark to calm me down about it.

foodfreedom.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/26/2011 by chasingbrahman because: an arf moment

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ROFLMAO!!!!
Sometimes mother nature has the best laugh! You would think these "scientists" would know by now that nature will find a way. Nature is more powerful than we are, and nature will survive. How many times must insects or bacteria adapt to our ever changing methods of trying to control nature before we finally "get it". We are not meant to control nature, but to live in harmony with it. I am not a tree hugger by any stretch, but I do think we have tampered with nature way too much and sooner or later it is going to catch up with us. We will lose.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
hooray!!!!
but at the same time ACK!
The price of corn will surely be going up once again!

Here's an idea!. . . conventional farming, non-modified seeds and a safe pesticide (if there is such a thing)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That's nature for you.

We accelerate evolution with our crazy schemes, like trying to cure everything with antibiotics, and wondering why all these superbacteria are starting to eat us alive.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Poor Monsanto, trying to figure out how to buy off the head beetle.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
ROFLMAO!!!!
Sometimes mother nature has the best laugh! You would think these "scientists" would know by now that nature will find a way. Nature is more powerful than we are, and nature will survive. How many times must insects or bacteria adapt to our ever changing methods of trying to control nature before we finally "get it". We are not meant to control nature, but to live in harmony with it. I am not a tree hugger by any stretch, but I do think we have tampered with nature way too much and sooner or later it is going to catch up with us. We will lose.

I feel the same way, and I gladly stand corrected when I'd assumed science would have the final say. Objectively, I can't imagine any system's interloper determining with limited knowledge that they're qualified to change the system and equipped to deal with every potential outcome. I've read and listened to the explanations constructed to excuse any modification of nature to suit man's needs, and just thinking of these people behind the scenes makes me laugh. It's like a toddler throwing a toy hamburger on a grill 'cuz hey, anything coming off a grill tastes good, right?

At the end of the day, I swear these yahoos scrape their own dead skin cells, pack them in a pipe, and smoke themselves.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Aint nature awesome!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I wonder why some of these GM companies are so mindless. A couple of years ago (well for me anyway) I studied botany, and I had a couple of Monsato-employees in the same class. After a couple of days, in a BS-session, I asked them if they have managed to engineer their "FrankenCorn" to walk yet, and I explained all the advantages of having walkable corn to them, f.ex, the corn can walk to wetter areas, etc, and they looked at me as though I was mad. A couple of days later, one of my professors (who was with me at university many years before, when I was young, and a full time student), freaked all out about GM plants, and he highlighted resistance-forming, destruction of natural enemies, etc, etc. The Monsato guys just looked at the prof with blank eyes, and never could get it. You might call them scientists, but I don't.

edit on 26/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
LOL
LOL
LOL
I love it. I hope it all falls apart.

link   
Let me see if I've got this straight. We just created a beetle that eats corn and is impervious to roundup.

Huh.

So how are they proposing to stop this beetle from eating all the corn it wants to? The way I see it we just made this beetle much stronger than nature intended it to be.

Maybe I'm just seeing this wrongly but it doesn't sound good, except for the killing of Monsanto products, that's always a good thing.

link   
Nature shows Mankind once more that fooling around with millions or billions of years of evolution is something that man is simply not ready to do as they do not know all of the consequences to their tampering. It goes directly to the main issue I see with GM anything, which is that there are unseen connections and effects of making a change to a complex life form’s DNA or Genetics. And this should be a huge wakeup call not only to the farmers purchasing GM Seeds, etc, but also to any company using GM Foods in their products, as well as the regulatory authorities. Other countries, without the corporate lobbying are much more against GM products as we should be. GM testing, and possibly on crops that are not intended for consumption by any human or animal that humans eat should be outlawed or so strict in research that we don't find out these things after they have been on the market for several years. Most people are unaware of just how much GM food they are eating. And it should be a severe criminal penalty for any regulatory agency scientists or committee to authorize its use based on how much cash was given through lobbying efforts. The big corporations have usurped our system of government and law making by buying off those that make the laws, or blackmail them if they won't play ball.
I hope this is just the beginning of GM's major FAIL and the nightmare against humanity, Monsanto's relegated to the dust bins of history! And all GM food or products containing them should be clearly marked as such. They know we wouldn't buy it, so they lobbied the FDA and Congress to outlaw that marking, even to the point of labeling a product free from GM ingredients.

edit on 26/8/11 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

That is not a surprise, man wants to control nature and nature will always find a way even if that means killing man in its way.

Sadly what Monsanto is going to do is create more toxic pesticides to create new GMO crops that will become more toxic to human consumption.

Still people will keep eating the poison putting future generations of humans in danger as mothers pass the poison to their unborn children.

Is happening now but nobody cares. We humanity will be the end of our own species.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
And here comes the downfall of globalization.

It's going to be really hard for GM food manufactures to stay in business when their products don't work as advertised. I know this sounds bad, but all we need now is for a really good bit of these GM corps to fail and it won't be but a few more seasons and farmers will start going back to growing regular crops.

What it really seems like to me is that all these schemes this megacorps have come up with are starting to fail. Just like with Globalization. A lot of people feel that we are in the growing pangs of Globalization when in reality we are suffering the failure of Globalization.

This failure of crops is just another check added in the failure column.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Let me see if I've got this straight. We just created a beetle that eats corn and is impervious to roundup.

Huh.

So how are they proposing to stop this beetle from eating all the corn it wants to? The way I see it we just made this beetle much stronger than nature intended it to be.

Maybe I'm just seeing this wrongly but it doesn't sound good, except for the killing of Monsanto products, that's always a good thing.

You bring up a good point. In the coming years, it could become practically impossible to grow corn - maybe anywhere. The way I see it, Monsanto took corn, sugar beets and soy away from people a while ago. With this news, corn may return, or it may not. Either way, it was gone from my diet, and the diet of anyone who was aware of GM crops. I know I can't afford organic corn - it just isn't part of my diet anymore.

I don't have a band-aid for this concern. However, perhaps this crop's imminent failure will inform the government of its egotistical ignorance enough to put the kibosh on GM crops. Or we can always hope that they become giant beetles with an appetite for bulls**t and descend on Capitol Hill.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Timing

I agree with you, but the problem is that ATS is probably going to be the only place that this type of thing is talked about. If the GM corn were a political candidate (lol) there would be negative advertisements about this all over the TV, but sadly, this will just get covered up by the MSM who will continue dividing the country based on ideology and diverting the people from the real issues. So yeah, I wish we could go around proving to people that the crops don't work as planned so that people would stop buying it, but the fact is, this will probably get covered up by the MSM.

Wow, someone (me) is a negative Nancy today. Sorry guys.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by butcherguy

I wonder why some of these GM companies are so mindless. A couple of years ago (well for me anyway) I studied botany, and I had a couple of Monsato-employees in the same class. After a couple of days, in a BS-session, I asked them if they have managed to engineer their "FrankenCorn" to walk yet, and I explained all the advantages of having walkable corn to them, f.ex, the corn can walk to wetter areas, etc, and they looked at me as though I was mad. A couple of days later, one of my professors (who was with me at university many years before, when I was young, and a full time student), freaked all out about GM plants, and he highlighted resistance-forming, destruction of natural enemies, etc, etc. The Monsato guys just looked at the prof with blank eyes, and never could get it. You might call them scientists, but I don't.

edit on 26/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

I've sincerely wondered many times since to me, an average layman, it seems counterintuitive to alter as robust a construct as nature, whether it's possible that the scientific minds behind such modifications are actually made out of the same organic materials as my own. I'm not kidding. I feel like they're from Planet Earthskat.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I never thought i'd say this, but i am now in love with bugs. I loves dem soo much.

Bugs 1 greedy bastards 0

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
All hail the 'Diabrotica Virgifera Virgifera'

Monsanto's arch enemy atm.

Im glad toxic corn is dying!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
All hail the 'Diabrotica Virgifera Virgifera'

Monsanto's arch enemy atm.

Im glad toxic corn is dying!

I just hope the natural enemies of this beetle hasn't all been killed in the process too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join