It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Ron Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm not from the US and really all I know about GOP candidates is from The Daily Show and ATS

So when read this - I got really confused;

But with this week's latest Gallup poll showing the libertarian pulling ahead of Bachmann and gaining on frontrunners Rick Perry and Mitt Romney, Americans are beginning to sit up and take notice of the 12-term Texas congressman who's considered the intellectual godfather of the Tea Party movement.

Here is the Source .

Can someone explain what is the real connection between Ron Paul and Tea Party.

Thanks and have a great weekend ATS !

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Who cares ! Everybody should be for Ron Paul ..every good human US citizen .. even the most hard core democrats

Ron Paul is clear like mountain water...you are opposing Ron Paul ,then you like invasions,you like wars,you like death , you like imperialism,you like suffering,you like big goverment, you like murdering, you like more people in prison for pot,you like globalism,you dont like constitution. Go tell to small kid what do you like ..he will tell you: You are EVIL .

Things are simple with Ron Paul ..you can't oppose him .. if you oppose him you are not human ..you have only human skin.
edit on 26-8-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

It was Ron Paul's platform in 2008 that really sparked the grassroots movement. In reality there is no such thing as "the Tea Party." It was hundreds of smaller groups that popped up all over the country in support of Ron Paul, and other libertarians, and in opposition to big government and business as usual.

The so-called "Tea Party Caucus" in Congress and "Tea Party Express" used by Sarah Palin are misnomers. Those are not reflective of the real Tea Party movement which is just a loose affiliation of all the little groups of concerned citizens that decided to become active at the same time.

Wiki has this to say:

The theme of the Boston Tea Party, an iconic event of American history, has long been used by anti-tax protesters with libertarian and conservative viewpoints.[15][16][17][18][19] It was part of Tax Day protests held throughout the 1990s and earlier.[20][21][22] The libertarian theme of the "tea party" protest was previously used by Republican Congressman Ron Paul and his supporters as a fundraising event during the primaries of the 2008 presidential campaign to emphasize Paul's fiscal conservatism, which they later claimed laid the groundwork for the modern-day Tea Party movement, although many of them also claim their movement has been hijacked by neoconservatives.

Ron Paul used the term in some Tax Day protests, and in some Campaign fundraising events, and other folks just kind of ran with it. The real Tea Party very closely resembles Ron Paul's ultra-Conservative, Liberatarian, and Constitutionalist views.
edit on 26-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm sure you'll get better answers from other than me, but I'll give you a answer in a nutshell.
Ron Paul ran for president in 2008 with the ideals of personal liberty and following the constitution.
From that a group politicians started the tea party. He is no longer a part of it but is considered the god father because he is the one that inspired everyone.

www.thedailypaul.com - great resource of interviews and articles

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ron Paul can be said to be the Great Great Great Grandfather of the TEA Party. See, back 30 years ago when he first got into the house of representatives. Republicans weren't so bat # insane. In fact back then, the GOP and conservatives were pretty likable people.

Course 30 years in the house has taken it's toll on the dottering old fool, and he probably doesn't realize where he is half the time.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

As far as I am aware, the tea parties were formed as a political campaign drive to support Ron Paul financially and to promote his political stances in public back in 2007. Here's a good example of one of the first tea party websites:
mysite.verizon.net...

Most republican voters didn't take to supporting the tea parties back in 07' or 08' for much of the reason because it was a movement in support of one Republican candidate, Ron Paul (most republicans preferred Romney and McCain during the 2008 elections). In 2009 the tea parties grew beyond that of Ron Paul campaign. In many ways it was taken over by republican voters in general to march against Obama's policies (much of the tea party drive was the result of unhappyness concerning the Republican losses in 2008 on the right). Today Ron Paul and his son Rand Paul make but a fraction of the tea parties support. In 2012 we're going to see the majority of the tea parties back other candidates aside from Ron Paul. Paulers refuse to admit this though, and insist this movement is still very much principaled behind Ron Paul's ideals, and many Paulers continue this delusion that online and straw polls amount to Ron Paul's chances as being elected. Actions speak louder than words though, and we'll see the results in 2012.

So to sum it all up, the tea parties were a movement for Ron Paul's 2008 presidential campaign, and then it grew to be eventually taken over by Republican supporters with a minority of unhappy blue democrats and some self proclaimed independents in 2009. Only fraction of this movement has to do with Ron Paul nowadays.

new topics

top topics

join