It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hi all, I've been on ATS for a couple of months now, and I noticed that there is a huge anti-scientist sentiment over here. Why is that? If it were not for scientists, technologists and engineers, ATS wouldn't even have been possible, so how come so many posters view scientists and engineers as to be the devil-reincarnated?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Not sure what your seeing but I haven't noticed that. Alot of people on ATS are very aware of science and base alot of their information off of it.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I am not anti science but against science that plays for god (technological enlightenment) and that wants to make us immor(t)al.

The problem is that all things that were invented as to help humanity ends up a lot in destroying humanity, look at in-fertilization through GM foods for example.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Really ?

I don't see that. I see the opposite. There's TONS of science and pseudo-science here.

Stick around.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Not sure what your seeing but I haven't noticed that. Alot of people on ATS are very aware of science and base alot of their information off of it.

Lol, maybe I am just reading the wrong posts, like the ones from Elenin, HAARP, Fukushima, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Read some of the fragile earth forum and you'll see alot of science especially from the guys that post alot about earthquakes and volcanos. Also alot of the astronomy threads hold alot of science.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Look, if some people believe in free energy that doesn't mean every one on ATS is anti scientist!

And for the record I believe free energy technology is very much out there and is being suppressed, just like the Palestinians in Gaza.
edit on 26-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Read some of the fragile earth forum and you'll see alot of science especially from the guys that post alot about earthquakes and volcanos. Also alot of the astronomy threads hold alot of science.

As long as it is not the Elenin-threads in the astronomy-forums.

I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable persons on ATS too, but I can't help but seeing all the attacks on them when they post valid scientific knowledge in some of the threads.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Many conspiracy theories and other unconventional beliefs that people here like to talk about are incompatible with the scientific worldview, and scientists tend to be skeptical. This creates tension. Also, a lot of it is people who are exceedingly uninformed and who adopt a belligerent attitude towards science and scientists because they think it's all dogma, that if you buy into it your a sheep, and that it's offensive to treat ideas that are incompatible with established science any differently than any other ideas.

I, for one, bet on science as helping us. I have yet to see how it fundamentally endangers us, even with the H-bomb lurking about. Science has given us more lives than it has taken; we must remember that.
-Philip K. Dick

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There is a genral distrust of scientists here because of things like the NIST 911 report, BP oil spill, global warming, vaccines, fukushima, etc. Many "offical" scientists can not be trusted.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Thanks, now I feel better again. I was quite close on leaving ATS after some ppl attacked me severely for posting some scientific facts. I know there are always 2 sides to a story, and I try to be very open-minded, but I also tend to be skeptical, but I was not prepared for the anti-science feeling some people have. I am quite willing to be convinced that I am wrong, provided you can show me some valid reasons, and not posting some (obviously) faked you-tube videos.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You will be called a troll if you dont agree with some of the wacky threads on here, i have been called it many times.

Doesnt matter if science proves it to be untrue, some people are just stuck to their beliefs and nothing will change that

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
There is a genral distrust of scientists here because of things like the NIST 911 report, BP oil spill, global warming, vaccines, fukushima, etc. Many "offical" scientists can not be trusted.

Is it the scientists that cannot be trusted, or the people behind them with mainly financial agendas? I can think of a couple of those, and I am quite willing to provide links with evidence, but right now I am just being too lazy to find all the references. The Tobacco campaign, the AGW campaign, Ozone, Malaria, AIDs, etc, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

Is it the scientists that cannot be trusted, or the people behind them with mainly financial agendas?

You just hit the nail on the head. Too many scientists have allowed they're findings to be slanted or misinterpreted by they're financial backers. Its a all too common trend.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Well - in my view, you find groups of people on ATS from both extremes - one being the "if its not proven by science it doesn't exist" and its opposite "I believe what I choose no matter what facts say"

It is much, much more challenging to be both open minded to new ideas, theories and circumstances, and at the same time carefully looking at disciplines such as science for validation, input, etc. Some call the middle approach as open-minded skepticism, but I think that description falls towards the "official proof" mindset. I prefer to refer to it as open-minded with sense. Its probably obvious by now that this is what I consider the "sweet spot."

In any case, I think it is too much of a challenge for some scientifically-based intellects to appreciate the depth of the as-yet-undiscovered mysteries - especially challenging to a paradigm of belief that we know what we know. Nothing more dangerous than to be certain as a society and culture that we know what we know. It is an equally challenging concept for those who refuse to use logical-based approaches and science when considering what "truth" is.

The good news for us in the middle of the spectrum is that at ATS both extremes make valuable contributions - like a huge buffet. It is up to the individual to choose what to consume at take with them.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

True, I have studied many things in my life, from engineering, to physical sciences, to medical sciences, to life sciences. In each group I have found a couple that were like, "OMG, is he a real scientist?".
When I studied Botany, I met some fellow-students that were employed by Monsato (GM foods), and when I joked about their "FrankenPlants", and asked them why don't they breed plants that can walk and find the best water resources, etc, they just looked at me with blank eyes. I actually don't know why they were even studying, because they were not really interested in the wonders of Nature (the reason why I study). I wouldn't call those guys scientists by any definition. I guess those are the kind of guys that gives most scientists a bad name...

edit on 26/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In my opinion both Science and Theology lead to the same end, yet are apparent opposites in the world today.

Science is the study of the physical world around us. It is used to help us understand how things are made and how they work. It is limited by our ability to understand, using the tools that we have.

Theology helps us to understand the non physical world around us. It gives us the ability to dream and create as well as gives us a reason for being. It also is limited to our ability to understand, using the tools we have.

As I see it, Science and Theology are like the candle lit at both ends. The closer the flames come together the more we begin to understand how they go hand in hand within the physical world. Science has begun, through studies like Quantum Physics, to show that the non physical world can be manipulated through both the mind and Science. Theology has begun to show that Science does show us what the world around us is just not why it is(as of yet).

Here is an example:

We know, through Science, there are many ways to start a fire. Flint and steel, concentrated light, heat, etc. We also know through Theology that you don't need the physical to start a fire and it can be done with the mind by exciting the molecules through energy transfer. Here is an example of what I mean.

Honestly I think that people have a hard time with accepting acts of the non physical as true because Science has found other ways of explaining it. Here is an example:

The problem is that Science refuses to accept that the non physical technique is possible simply because it can explain a physical way it CAN be done and ASSUMES it to be a hoax. But what of the Paranormal? Theology shows a shift in consciousness can allow one to see and/or communicate with the deceased. Science has attempted to capture or record the occurrences using machines or sensors, like cameras or EMF(Electromagnetic Frequency) monitors but, as of yet, can not prove one way or the other.

I think the proof is there we just have not been able to find a way to show it Scientifically yet.

On the other hand I believe that the Human mind can do anything it desires to do with a single thought, but because of technology and religion it is hindered. Technology can do it for you and religion says "Its of the Devil" and people do not go through the training.

In todays world with all the people purposely perpetrating Hoaxes and Prestidigitation(Magic of illusion) the proof is not only sought but expected as well.

Until the non physical reality can be explained or entered into by all this debate will have people all along the scale from one extreme to the other claiming their stances. In my opinion, when speaking of ATS, the "conspiracy theory" bunch are naturally skeptical to what is real or not and the debates can get heated from time to time. I think, for both sides of the extreme, the word "Maybe" should be added to the vocabulary.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
Hi all, I've been on ATS for a couple of months now, and I noticed that there is a huge anti-scientist sentiment over here. Why is that? If it were not for scientists, technologists and engineers, ATS wouldn't even have been possible, so how come so many posters view scientists and engineers as to be the devil-reincarnated?

They think they sold out to the highest bidder or were 'scared straight.'

I believe this applies to many of them. The others, those not afraid to lift the veil show tremendous courage. After all, lots of scientists have died under mysterious circumstances. It would surely give me pause, before I opened my bit fat mouth!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I am a Scientist.

top topics

join