It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN: 'Climate models will need to be substantially revised'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

you mentioned the baseline of the 1920s, not me ... you might wanna consider a few more years in your attempt to infer 'historically' anything.

as for your supposition that the temps are increasing ... it is most certainly arguable ... even i remember DC being shut down last year (blizzard conditions or something) and something about record snowfall during the GW Summit overseas ... but yeah, by all means keep insisting the temps are rising ... it is still summer so for a few more weeks i guess you can be 'right'

however, truth be told, many moons ago it was believed that we were entering a 'cooling cycle' ... and you ought to really get a kick out of this ... back then, it was inferred that Man was contributing to the global COOLING cycle as well.
Now, isn't that just the best scapegoat ever ??? >>> That Man ... he did it

from Time mag back in 1974 ...

Time mag
Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds — the so-called circumpolar vortex—that sweep from west to east around the top and bottom of the world.
---- snip ---
Man, too, may be somewhat responsible for the cooling trend. The University of Wisconsin's Reid A. Bryson and other climatologists suggest that dust and other particles released into the atmosphere as a result of farming and fuel burning may be blocking more and more sunlight from reaching and heating the surface of the earth.
---- snip ---
University of Toronto Climatologist Kenneth Hare, a former president of the Royal Meteorological Society, believes that the continuing drought and the recent failure of the Russian harvest gave the world a grim premonition of what might happen. Warns Hare: "I don't believe that the world's present population is sustainable if there are more than three years like 1972 in a row."

so Kro, if you have "no agenda", why do you keep insisting global warming is even a concern?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Techata

pseudoscience is good ??

do you even know what that word means ??
here, let me help ... pseudo = FALSE science ... how is that anywhere near good ??

while i applaud your observation that humans contribute to climate change, we are hardly responsible for the changes it is destined to exhibit.

As for CO2, did you know that if we planted more trees, consumed less plastic/throw-aways and got back to the basics as far as gardening goes ... it is a more likely hypothesis that the greenery alone would absorb (that's right ABSORB) the excess CO2 that is being deposited in unnatural ways.

but no, let's not consider the REAL science behind the global balance we call climate ... that would be the prudent and proper path ... but i suppose we abandoned that long ago ...

what a shame

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I never said it was a concern. I only said that recently global warming is a fact and I don't have to go back further because that wasn't my point. If you feel like saying all the readings have been false and the earth has been cooling the last few decades than that's your right though you would be in the minority.

The only globabl cooling that's happened in recent years is when Mt.Pinatubo erupted lowering global temperatures by 2 degrees for 2 years. Other than that the global temp (average) has been increasing.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

According to ice cores from Antarctica, the past 400,000 years have been dominated by glacials, also known as ice ages, that last about 100,000. These glacials have been punctuated by interglacials, short warm periods which typically last 11,500 years. Figure 1 below shows how temperatures in Antarctica changed over this period. Because our current interglacial (the Holocene) has already lasted approximately 12,000 years, it has led some to claim that a new ice age is imminent. Is this a valid claim?

So we are currently in a warming period according to cores taken from the ice sheets. Tell me how that is a cooling period?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a065de68584e.gif[/atsimg]

www.skepticalscience.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Well, that was the verbal assault i was expecting, hehe. But here we go.
I didn't mean that Pseudo science was good, well i did, good for thought. It allows us to interpret and think about things in a non conventional manner, allowing different possibilities out of the norm. Just like the now known scientific method constraining though process to one route. Is there only one route from your house to the grocerey store?

We are not responsible for the outcome of the climate change, no. We ARE responsible for speeding it up with the excess CO2 that we cannot filter because of deforestation. Yes i am aware that plants absorb C02 and release oxygen. I did pass grade 3 science. Sorry that was insulting.
Can we really plant that many trees to absorb all the running cars in the world? I have no clue but could be a neat research project for someone with the drive to do so.
As I stated before, we are only now starting, and key word, starting to understand how "IT" works.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

the chart you posted shows us in a cooling period. If I see it right we have passed the maximum temp.

Do you want to start again ?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Finally, after 2 years of waiting for results from the CLOUD experiment !

And just as most of us expected....

Physics and scientific observation shows, yet once again, that computer modelling and assumptions are pseudoscience.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

ditto and a star for your observant self.
i'm guessing Kro needs a refresher but then again, that seems to occur frequently with Kro's topics.

@ Kro -- so, please share with us what the humans were/might have been doing to create or contribute to the temperature rise that was greater 100,000 yrs ago.
Also, you stated that temps have been steadily rising for decades, please indicate where your posted chart supports that claim.

@ Techata - from your response, i'd guess we agree?
if so, then why don't we (humans) do something to help remedy the situation?
surely we don't need govt approval or do we?

Can we really plant that many trees to absorb all the running cars in the world? I have no clue but could be a neat research project for someone with the drive to do so.
it wouldn't necessarily have to be trees but the world sure could use a greenery buildup.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Yes, agreed. We need to respect and work with our environment. We put how many countless numbers of dollars into power research and where has that gotten us. Into a radiation polluted planet because of 3 reactors. Take all that money and put it into natural power, I.e. harnessing the tides, lightning, solar, friction, what ever else have you, albeit all with their own hic-ups so to speak, but we conquered the atomic hic-up didn't we. Its amazing what 1 person can do with a devotion to a certain topic, ie Tesla agreed? So imagine all of earths scientist putting their minds to the job. = done. truly sad that we take our planet for granted. Just its out there, i am not a tree hugger by any means, however I do believe that we are not functioning to our own and, galactical standards, for lack of better words right now.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just checked wikipeadia, atmospheric CO2 is 0.039%, just over a third of one percent, a third of one percent? How can so little gas have so much effect the the rest of the atmosphere? Methane hold 20 times the amount of heat CO2 does, but it never gets a mention! In the last 2,000 years, volcanic activity has gone up 300%, with a yearly out put, along with the rest of the 'natural' world, of 5 gigatones per year of 'crud', sulphurous acid, helium, hydrogen, ash particulates, Methane, CO2, Argon (more Argon in the atmosphere than CO2!) water vapour, Hydrogen sulphide,
etcetera.
This I find hard to swallow, Termite produce more Methane than cows! (who belch, they don't f++t)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Just remembered a news item from Auckland, New Zealand a few weeks ago, snow for the first time in 75 years, yes I know it is winter there, but, snow for the first time in 75 years, says to me something is not right, no idea what.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Think .039% would be about 1/26th of a percent rather then close to 1/3rd of one.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think CERN might be in trouble with Gore. If you don't agree with him, your racists: dailycaller.com...
I'm not gonna get too deep in this, cause it's pointless. Do I think man is responsible for global warming? I'd say in a very small part maybe. But you have to look through history, the world has had warming periods and it's had cooling periods, it's the Earth, it's what it does and it's been doing long before man came around.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Global warming is a myth creating by power hungry politicians to try and spread fear that WE are to blame when in fact it has more to do with the sun. The sun is the post poweful source of energy in this solar system, it controls all weather along with other gravitational influences.

Btw. Why are you so quick to dismiss nearly all claims against the government? You seem biast in most of your posts and I've observed that, you are really quick to jump into any topic that has evidence of conspiracy and you don't even bother to check the evidence and instead try to spread your biast opinion.

I am sorry, but unless you are open minded, you will never arrive at the truth. That or I suspect you are one of the governmental trolls paid to try and spread disinformation. There I said it, someone had to and I mean no disrespect, it's simply how you appear to be.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Global Warming has definitely effected mental health...There's way more proof of that!
edit on 31-8-2011 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Honor93

Well if a cooling cycle begins that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that since the 1920's roughly the temperature has been spiking generally upwards.

What's your point?

You are full of S

Another Ice Age?
Monday, June 24, 1974
www.time.com...

Telltale signs are everywhere — from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.

Kro why do you keep posting these lies? I challenge you to disprove this. And when throw up your graph that shows the warming and cooling periods you better learn how calculate trend lines because it is clearly a downtrend.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

According to ice cores from Antarctica, the past 400,000 years have been dominated by glacials, also known as ice ages, that last about 100,000. These glacials have been punctuated by interglacials, short warm periods which typically last 11,500 years. Figure 1 below shows how temperatures in Antarctica changed over this period. Because our current interglacial (the Holocene) has already lasted approximately 12,000 years, it has led some to claim that a new ice age is imminent. Is this a valid claim?

So we are currently in a warming period according to cores taken from the ice sheets. Tell me how that is a cooling period?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a065de68584e.gif[/atsimg]

www.skepticalscience.com...

How about a little focus on the graph.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
reply to post by Chance321

Global Warming has definitely effected mental health...There's way more proof of that!

Great pic, yeah, I can see him foaming at the mouth off camera cause nobodys falling for the lies.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join