It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCIAL: Death Penalty

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The Death Penalty Should continue, but they need to realize some people in the ghetto are often given no choice but to kill. And they need to consider only using the Death Penalty when the person is absoloutley guilty. Plus give a certain amount of time to show evidence of innocence. but keeping someone on death row in jail for like 5 years is rediculous its our tax money going to keep someone alive for a few years just to kill them later.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My problem with the death penalty is that it is to slow.Only on state gets it right and that is Texas. The cost of keeping a Criminal for LIFE and Ending his life Quickly can not even compare. In deed a better system of DNA checks and Balances COULD be put into place to make sure the Guilty are Guilty but the system that we have now is up to par till we get a better one! lets just have um stand in there cells on Death row have um hold out there arms go down the Line Inject Inject Inject.........if people knew that we did that instead of waiting for stays and appeals how fast do you think the murder rate would go down??

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Interesting point, the price of keeping these criminals alive is something that is a pricey opperation, and like you said Hunter, leaving them locked up only to be exercuted is something that is not ecconimally intelligent. Your idea about exercution straight out is interesting, especially when you said it would bring the death rate right down.

But There is a problem, trailing someone takes time, and even if the court is not a hundren precent sure, and DNA evidece etc. is to be used, then the procedure will be drawn out. The only solution really, is to keep the person on normal imprisonment, until 100% ruling has been passed, then a quick exercution to be preformed.

One last part about the Death Penalty, how do you all feel about letting the familys watching this ? It comes accross as unjust and in a way, just as bad. Watching someone die is something, that is disturbing especially taking pleasure in it all.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
Interesting point, the price of keeping these criminals alive is something that is a pricey opperation, and like you said Hunter, leaving them locked up only to be exercuted is something that is not ecconimally intelligent. Your idea about exercution straight out is interesting, especially when you said it would bring the death rate right down.

One last part about the Death Penalty, how do you all feel about letting the familys watching this ? It comes accross as unjust and in a way, just as bad. Watching someone die is something, that is disturbing especially taking pleasure in it all.

Actually this cost factor has been one of the items discussed in the main board thread on this topic. I for one and alot of voters agree: Cost IMO is inmaterial to justice being done. I am a big DP advocate, but I would be wary of a rapid execution. I have no issue with letting the condemed apeal his/her sentance. Within reason. None of the last minute "its cruel and unusual" etc.

I think its okay to have the families if they want to witness the final judgement. Im excited about public broadcasts though. I think in some instances it gives the famlies close. Some may not either though. it should be a families choice. However, i am total support of a seath chamber "scared straight" type of deal. Kids on the line, would be forced to witness. It would scare me

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The Libertarian view on the death penilty was best summed up by Badnarik on the debate.....

I believe the death Penilty should be enforced at the ATM machine when they try to rob you

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
�.. It comes accross as unjust and in a way, just as bad�..

Fair comes to mind more than unjust�.I�m just not sure that any would want to. And if they did I�m not to sure that prurient speciation would be the purpose. How would you feel about allowing the victims family to have a say in mercy?

originally posted by f16falcon[�i]
So you're saying that the murder rate in the USA including the death penalty ia 5.5/100,000? The reason I think that the Canadian murder rate is lower is because of our countries control on guns.

Wouldn�t you think population density would be more of an issue?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am solidly for the death penalty, but only in certain cases. I dont believed it should be handed down freely, but certain criteria to decide if a person must be put to death.

1. The crime must be convicted in cold blood. Planned out, arranged, ect. But it must be done in a caculated way. This is for murders only, or murders with rape.

OR

2.The criminal did the crime and gained great pleasure from it, enjoying the pain and suffering of his or her victim.

3. The convicted should show no remorse for their crime. Total lack of regard of regret over the pain and suffering caused, no remorse. Dehumanized victims.

4. The crime should be heinous and especially, abnormally cruel.

I also believe that it should be a unanimous jury descision of guilt to make a person eligible for the death penalty.

I also believe that each individual state should decide whether or not they want the death penalty.

Federal death penalty should remain, for crimes against the country as a whole, such as treason, espinoage, and terrorism.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I am solidly for the death penalty, but only in certain cases. I dont believed it should be handed down freely, but certain criteria to decide if a person must be put to death.

1. The crime must be convicted in cold blood. Planned out, arranged, ect. But it must be done in a caculated way. This is for murders only, or murders with rape.

OR

2.The criminal did the crime and gained great pleasure from it, enjoying the pain and suffering of his or her victim.

3. The convicted should show no remorse for their crime. Total lack of regard of regret over the pain and suffering caused, no remorse. Dehumanized victims.

4. The crime should be heinous and especially, abnormally cruel.

I also believe that it should be a unanimous jury descision of guilt to make a person eligible for the death penalty.

I also believe that each individual state should decide whether or not they want the death penalty.

Federal death penalty should remain, for crimes against the country as a whole, such as treason, espinoage, and terrorism.

But aint imploying these ideals , arent the governement playing GOD ? I dont know, I just dont agree with killing someone inorder to repay back a debt that they owe. Life is something that cannot be bought or lived more than once. Isnt it the right of each human being to live their lifes to the full ? Ok I know someone is gonna mention the fact that the victims wont get to live theirs. I guess exercution is something that shouldnt have to be employed in a so called advanced civilization.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join