It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases details of upcoming moon study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Just read this and was surprised to find that the dark side of the moon really isn't that dark because it has lava flows?

The project aims to study how the moon formed, its interior composition and why the side seen from Earth looks so different from the "far side," which isn't as dark because of lava flows, Zuber said. "Clearly we don't understand what is happening inside the moon," she said.

How is it that I haven't heard of this? Anyone else? I heard they found lava tubes but not active lava flows that give off light.

CNN
edit on 26-8-2011 by kbriggss because: Please move to correct forum...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kbriggss

Why not send some people there to investigate it? It's entirely possible. I think the moon is alot different than we have been made to believe, there has to be a reason we never went back. But what could it be?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This will be interesting. Firstly, wouldn't it stand to reason since the moon is held in place by the earth's gravity that the pull would put any type of eruptions on the 'pull' side?

And this tidbit..

The students will be able to select their own "target areas" of the moon's surface to capture on camera.

I wonder what the resolution will be as far as details of the surface will be. May answer alot of speculations on some anomolies.

Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

$$$$$$.

Always money.

The 42-day launch window begins September 8,

The two spacecraft will be launched in the same housing, which will separate. They will enter synchronized orbits in January, principal investigator Maria Zuber said. The slow trip saves energy.

Really s-l-o-w trip.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kbriggss

How is it that I haven't heard of this? Anyone else? I heard they found lava tubes but not active lava flows that give off light.

I think there is some general misunderstanding going on here.

The lava flows are ancient and dark in color they are called maria. If they are saying the side we do not see is not as dark as the side facing us I believe they to mean that the "far" side has had less lava flows and thus the coloration of the surface would be lighter in tone.
edit on 8/26/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I would just like to point out:.....the dark side of the moon is not always dark, we call it the dark side because we never see it.

Just think of a solar eclipse...the moon is between the earth and sun therefore the sun is shineing on what we call the dark side.

Lava flow on the moon sounds very interesting...nice find OP

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

This will be interesting. Firstly, wouldn't it stand to reason since the moon is held in place by the earth's gravity that the pull would put any type of eruptions on the 'pull' side?

I'm not sure it works that way. The moon is in orbit which means it travels fast enough to be almost neutral in it's relation to earth as it falls very slowly back to earth as we do to the sun. For us on Earth, do volcanoes usually blow at night or during the day? that answer may help but I really don't know. I was surprised to find that their are active lava flows on the moon.
edit on 26-8-2011 by kbriggss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I think there is some general misunderstanding going on here. The lava flows are ancient and dark in color they are called maria. If they are saying the side we do not see is not as dark as the side facing us I believe they to mean that the "far" side has had less lava flows and thus the coloration of the surface would be lighter in tone.

Thanks for the info on the Maria. I'll have to check it out. The wording did seem a bit funky. Would you agree?
edit on 26-8-2011 by kbriggss because: duh

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Yes I would agree that the wording was poor and confusing it is likely that the writer of the article was somewhat confused themselves, typical.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Seems like we should stop spending all this money fighting each other over resources here on earth and put all that effort and money into getting resources from other places (ie, moon). There are entire planets that are full of stuff noone is using. We have the technology.

new topics

top topics

join