It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China media dismiss Pentagon accusations as a "cock-and-bull" report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
China's state news agency on Thursday condemned a Pentagon report on China's growing military might, calling its account of Beijing's weapons modernization drive an alarmist "cock-and-bull story. The report say Beijing appeared to be on track to forge a modern military by 2020, a build-up that could destabilize the Asia-Pacific region.

Currently China and the US got a conflict going about Taiwan, who the self-ruled island that China calls an illegitimate breakaway province.

Speculations: On the sidenote we have the Iranian conflict, that China most likely have strong oppinion about, because they buy a lot of oil in the country.

I agree with the Chinese that this is not our business and this report is most likely looked upon with very skeptical eyes inside the Chinese government. I doubt they will continue to ignore alligations like these. I also doubt war with China is on the steps, but they could put some pressure on the economies as a answer to "the provocations". This would hurt their own economy so I'm not sure it is a real option.

One thing is certain, they are building a new hightech military.
The question is whats the purpose with it.
Is it defence from the imperialistic western countries? or
Is it an attackforce to invade Taiwan, other neighbours or even the rising western empire?

The Chinese government has yet to give its official response, which is likely to be tersely dismissive, but the state-run Xinhua news agency made a starting shot.

Fueled by China's booming economy, the People's Liberation Army's weapons upgrades in the past decade have exceeded many earlier U.S. forecasts. China's aircraft carrier program, cyber warfare capabilities and anti-satellite missiles have unsettled neighbors and Washington.

"The allegation is an utterly cock-and-bull story about the Chinese military based on a wild guess and illogical reasoning," the English-language Xinhua commentary said.

"China, which has adhered to a defensive military policy, with its rising economic clout and sprawling commercial and strategic interests around the world, has every right to build a competent military," the commentary said.

Despite "large quantities of antiquated hardware and a lack of operational experience," the U.S. report said the People's Liberation Army is closing the technological gap with modern military forces

The Pentagon flagged concerns about Beijing's widening military edge over Taiwan, the self-ruled island that China calls an illegitimate breakaway province.

China cut off ties with the U.S. military for most of last year to protest at an American arms package for Taiwan, but officials in Taiwan have been outspoken about their continued need of U.S. weapons and fighter jets

Xinhua called the Pentagon's conclusions "much ado about nothing," and said Chinese people thought it "baffling" that the U.S. could criticize China when its own military spending was 40 percent of the world's total in 2010

Source
edit on 26-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What does the US expect? The Govt. sent all the jobs over there. They have the money now. They have the Technology and they have The US Secrets ongoing as they hack!!
I think the US is well aware and won't do a thing!! Just as they did with N Korea and Iran..
Thx for the thread

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So China builds a new boat and everyone starts to freak out? Talk about being over dramatic. The amount of funds that go into American research and technology is trillions more in the last decade then compared to what China has put in. Being in the military at one point in my life, trust me, the USA is at least 4 decades ahead of everyone else. The problem is, they hide it, so you will never know. I guess that is the idea. And the comment about hacking in?
If you only knew the security the military has for its hidden projects.

Dont trust me? Look for yourself. And this is only what is reported by the USA. This doesnt include Black Budget
www.rickety.us...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

It is your own government whos paranoid.

Do you think you can trust the numbers for the Chinese spendings?
I bet they got just as many black projects as the US. And the original post also speculate how trusty the official reports from China is, when were talking about the "normal" military spendings.

Off cause they got insight in US technology.
They most likely did research on confiscated or bought materials from the different wars the US is participating in. (Which probably has been a success, look at how they copy anything else).
They certainly tried hacking too, I cant say if this is a success or not.

They are not making useless wepons, what would they do with those?
If they didn’t have the sufficient technology they would buy from others.

Which by the way is confirmed in this interview about one of the new Chinese Toys the Chengdu J-20, which had a confirmed testflight in january. The australian military analytic Carlo Kopp has suggested that the J-20's overall stealth shaping is "without doubt considerably better" than the F-35 and PAK FA. It is still a prototype in development, so alot of it's childsicknesses isn't cured yet. But when these and other techs is ready for massproduction in a few years you got yourself a worthy opponent.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
and the pissing contest begins.

I can only imagine the horrors that are coming. Everything that has been happening is leading us up to the breaking point. Once the economy totally collapses, the United States government will lash out like mad dogs, and they will be relentless.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Yep. So frightening to think about. After all. The USA created a aircraft carrier in 1922, and almost 90 years later China finally created one.
So scary. Im shaking in my little booties.

Ohh and another thing. I think your mistaking our goverment with the media. Which most common people do. However, they are different. With the media having a different agenda. The media is creating the fear. The goverement is not afraid.

"China Uses Top Gun Footage to Fake Military Strength"

Pretty pathetic when you copy what actors can do in America to represent your own military strength.

www.escapistmagazine.com...

edit on 26-8-2011 by kellynap43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave and kellynap43

I doubt china jump's anyone soon.

They need 5-10 years to build up their new toy's, then maybe they will show their real potential.

There's no reason to believe they aint serious about their wepon's program, the question is how far are they?

top topics

join