It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NBC Doesn't Broadcast the Olympics Live

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
NBC through Vivendi network decided not to broadcast the Olympics live in 2004. I don't think enough people are aware of this fact. NBC instead decides to nip and cut the events for prime time viewing. While NBC's viewership greatly increased, what is this doing to the people of America?

apnews.myway.com...

But the footage will be highly restricted to protect lucrative broadcast contracts, which are sold by territory - $793 million paid by NBC alone. Web sites must employ technology to block viewers from outside their home countries, so U.S. Web surfers won't benefit from the BBC's live coverage. They'll have to settle for highlights posted after NBC broadcasts, which are already largely tape-delayed.

Olympic coverage has become very territorial. Companies such as NBC seem to be softening up the Olympics to make them more enjoyable to the American people.

I've been watching a lot of the Olympics and I can only remember 3 times the entire I've been watching that the US has lost a game. While I know the US wins a lot of events, I don't like the idea I am being censored from much of the competition. As well, I do know there is a multitude of Olympic coverage.

But, I think an ulterior motive is to boost pride for the American country. Don't get me wrong I love America, but I don't like to be sheltered in any form. I'm sure this is very close to many other countries, though I know some offer a live feed.

Why can't we just see things the way they are? Any thoughts?

[edit on 20-8-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
and that my friend, is the tip of the ice berg!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Perhaps it is because of the time difference and any live broadcast would happen during the day when no one was home. NBC paid a lot of money for the rights to the Olympics, and they are going to get their monies worth by showing them during prime-time (ratings).

Also, they do show many live events during the day on USA, MSNBC and CNBC.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yea, but I was talking more about the footage they chose to show. From what I've seen, it is most definitely geared towards Americans rather than an un-biased view of the Olympics at large.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Yea, but I was talking more about the footage they chose to show. From what I've seen, it is most definitely geared towards Americans rather than an un-biased view of the Olympics at large.

Sorry, I guess I missed your point. I think it is because as Americans, in general all we care about are stories regarding the US. Sure, we are compassionate regarding feel good stories, but in general we care more about the American stories.

I'm sure the same sort of "bias" is evident in other countries (ie China, Australia, etc)

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
we in australia have two channels (on free to air non didigtal tv) that cover the olympics. Channel 7 and SBS, they both show mainly aussie events, but we do get to see a lot of the soccer (football), volleyball (beach and court) and baseball that we arent involved in, we get live coverage starting aroun 4pm and going all the way through untill around 4 am, then between 4am and 4 pm we get replays of non-aussie stuff and of aussie medal's etc. we also have this cool show called, the dream with roy and HG, you can download it using bit-torrent from bit-torrent sites, it is a funny show. all together i can say i have been happy with the coverage of the olympics so far.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Same way they play the waterpolo games DURING WORK HOURS OR LATE AT NIGHT. NBC pisses me off, waterpolo should be played all 24 hours, non stop, with the games playing over and over. None of that other stuff like Gymnastics, Basketball, Fencing, Rowing, etc. It should be PURE WATERPOLO.

*Wakes up*

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
To be fair I have already seen enough badminton to last two lifetimes watching the Olympics and havent seen one American team in it yet.

I understand your point though but I feel most countries do this people just want to see there own country more then others.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
They also show a lot of baseball in Canada, even though its an American sport. Not only that but theres also softball, which is exactly the same as baseball.
So far I only liked the gymnastics, diving, soccer(football), Table Tennis and Regular Tennis.

How did one man rowing become a sport? Its not like you can practice, more like geared towards the rich.

I like the idea of them deciding to introducing squash and rugby into the competitions. If they brought in squash I would be glued to the television set, since its a lot more fast paced than regular tennis. Should be interesting.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I wish they had American Football in the Oylmpics I would watch that all the time. I know they have a European Football league but its got alot of Americans in it. There is not alot of World interest in the sport even though it is so fun to watch IMHO. That dosent stop America from putting a soccer team up in the Oylmpics

Too bad I will most likely never see it in my life tme.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I wish they had American Football in the Oylmpics I would watch that all the time. I know they have a European Football league but its got alot of Americans in it. There is not alot of World interest in the sport even though it is so fun to watch IMHO. That dosent stop America from putting a soccer team up in the Oylmpics

Too bad I will most likely never see it in my life tme.

Actually, the we didn't qualify for the Olympics in Men's soccer.

On a side note, it is strange which events are in the Olympics and which ones aren't. Trampoline, skeet shooting, synchronized swimming and diving and badminton are sports. Why not golf, bowling, billiards and darts?

[edit on 20-8-2004 by dcgolf]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
At least we put a team up to try to get in the Olympics even though they didnt qualify.

I would rather watch billiards then badminton any day. Heck I watch the billiard match they show already those guys are great.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Yea, is this bias a good thing though? Does any know of any live feeds available in the US? The article was saying that a lot sites offering live feeds are blocked to Americans, but I haven't tried any of them.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
They are probably "blocked" because NBC obtained the rights to show the olympics in the U.S. They show the events that will draw the most viewers. I think its a shame it's so commercialized.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
i dont get it. other countries do this. they focus more on their country in the olympics than showing as mant events as possible as people want to see their own country in the olympics and want to see them win. this is perfectly natural and normal behavior.

normally you and i are on the same page with most things but i dont get what you're trying to say here. is it ok for other countries to do this but not america? this isnt the first time the "media" focus more on america's atheletes and the events their in than the events at large. so why act like this is a "bias"??? should we should only show events that americans arent in to prove we arent biased? is it wrong to cover your own country's participation more than the events in general? maybe to those who are just dying to see more table tennis or some obscure event.

if its wrong for the US to do then just about every country is wrong as well as i have a feeling a lot of them do this. the world should be ashamed for giving any attention to their own coutnry's team! what bias! i mean really, its so blatant.

relax...take a deep breath, its not as big a deal as you think it is.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Oh, I'm just speaking from my experience Prank. And I was assuming it was the same with other countries. Honestly, I just want to know how to see some live coverage instead of this marked up, commercial BS.

EDIT: I like seeing American countries win, but that's not the ONLY thing I want to see, you get what I'm saying.

BTW, I'm watching the Olympics right now and I'm seeing the same highlights of American athletes I've been watching for the past week or so. I mean, there's so much olympic coverage, why don't they show some other event. Uh oh, commercial time...

[edit on 21-8-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I don't think we are talking about the states doing anything different. Just that it would be cool to tune into other countries' coverage.

I will occasionally tune into American stations to see how they are doing and to the BBC to sey how the British are doing. It is cool to see the games from a different angle and since other countries are not participating in as many events you see more of them without a national biase from the reporters.

From what I have seen of american coverage, and because it is edited, it only focuses on American athletes. Which is fine but other coverage is blocked. How many people in the US have access to CBC Newsworld International or BBC for example?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
i agree with you on the commercial part and a little on the taped part.

part of the problem is if they were to only show live feeds we'd all be asleep as greece is several hours ahead of us.while its like 3 am here its like 10 AM there (this is an example im not sure of the actual time difference, im guesstimating). we're sleeping and events are going on over there.

however i dont like it when they dont show more coverage of events in general. its all snipped down and edited to show the event and the win. well thats no fun! i kinda like what i watch to be somewhat condensed but when you show the same stuff over and over...it gets boring.

i agree with some of what you're saying. they can show some live stuff. although i have a feeling they wont in case of terrorist attacks. just a hunch on that.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
About the only sport they show live is water polo, and usually it's late at night or right in the middle of the day when no one watches TV. Now that's not bias towards a country, that's bias towards certain SPORTS. Truthfully, how many people here have actually SEEN a water polo game? It is truly incredible. For all of those interested there is a LIVE game today at 3 PM on NBC. USA vs. Russia, Mens.

[edit on 8-21-2004 by WaStEdDeAtH777]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaStEdDeAtH777
Truthfully, how many people here have actually SEEN a water polo game? It is truly incredible.

Yes it is!

I saw the Canadian women beat the Americans in a really good game.
The Americans scored four unanswered goals and the Canadians responded to win the game in the last few minutes.

I'm getting a little tired of the CBC going on about Canada's medal tally though. Enough whinning already!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join