It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory: Gun control is the cause of gun culture.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

There is something to what you are saying. Just take pot and liquor. So many drunks saw liquor as forbidden in their youth while many children of drunks dont drink much. But all this psychology represents only a portion of the devleopment. I for one dont see the US as a gun culture to begin with but there are groupd in this country that have an admormal facination with guns and it cant be said in these cases that gun control is the problem.

These gun cultures always have something attached, sonthing the gun helps facilitate...like drugs and gangs. A gun club just shoots guns and there is much of an end to it.

But yea there is a psychology behind the idea that depravity leads to abuse. But its not the whole case.

SM2

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I can back up the Op with my own childhood. My father was a gun collector, so was my grandfather. When my grandmother passed away, we moved in with my grandfather, I was very young at this point, like 4 or 5. So i was exposed to lots of different types of guns from a very early age. I was also taught from that early age what a gun was. I remember the first time i was caught looking too closely at a gun, my father took me to the back yard, and he had his .44 magnum. He sat up a watermelon on top of a fence post and explained to me...guns are dangerous, you have to be careful with them, they are a tool, but can injure and kill. He of course went more in depth and turned it into a long lesson, then he fired at the watermelon to demonstrate. From that moment on, I never got too close to any gun in the house unless supervised by my father or grandfather. One year later i was given a 4-10 shotgun and .22 rifle for christmas. I agree the fascination is largely due to a lack of education. The fears are unfounded, you would be shocked at how many people I have met that have this insane belief that guns just go off all by themselves. Never fear the guns, always respect them, but never fear them. It's the idiot holding the gun you should fear. Yes, before you ask, I do carry concealed. Everywhere I go i have a firearm. I look at no different then I do a pocket knife, or a socket set. It is a tool to accomplish a specific job.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Star and flag for you, Mr Tranny, excellent post on an important issue. I have had guns since I was a young man, got my first .22 and 12 gauge at age 16, and done a lot of shooting. I raised a boy and a girl, we always had guns in the home, I kept several shotguns and two rifles behind the sofa at all time, and a pistol resided on my night stand, and still does, for that matter. I taught both how to shoot a gun, and hit a target early on, and taught then that guns do not kill anything, people do. I am now raising two boys, age 14 and 10, and both are being taught about guns, and are quite comfortable around them, and know the power contained in them. Everywhere we go in our van we take pistols, too many bad people out there not to these days.

I see all of the government's secret plans to get our guns, and all I have to say is good luck on that. When they come to get ours, they will have to go through a hail of lead first.

<< 1   >>

join