It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS Survial Guide --- A Book You Must Get!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi guys, i bought a book about 6 months ago called the SAS Survial Guide by John 'Lofty' Wiseman, and i must say, it is an excellent book. It covers everything you can think of, like how to make rafts and shelters, to how to survive in every climate and continent. It is truly a guide you need if in trouble. I recommend this book to everyone. You never know when you need it.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
does the book say which plants you can eat in Europe?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Common sense is all a man needs to survive. One of the recent topics, the woman stuck between rocks for a week and surviving on rain and such. Also the big mall collapse in japan, where the woman was trapped for over 2 weeks! And lived.

Neither read that book or any other survival book for that matter. There's a Discovery show called "human body" or something, and they showed/explained that our mind will react differently when we are 'dieing' or in need of food/drink.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I have that book, aswell as the earlier version. I've read it a few times and i agree with the OP!

Definitely very usefull and not only when tshtf, but also on more common accidents or situations/vacations to be prepared for.

Also, i think it also covers european plants and mushrooms (from the netherlands myself).

Edit: Offcourse common sense is key here, but isn't it also common sense to learn knowledge that is available? Or going to places prepared?
edit on 26-8-2011 by Elexio because: additional text

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Yes it does detail some.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I agree with the OP

Its covers everything and now can even fit onto your portable device for easy carrying

You can download it here, but it is not free

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01

There's a Discovery show called "human body" or something, and they showed/explained that our mind will react differently when we are 'dieing' or in need of food/drink.

Lol well I'd say its a given that your mind will react different when you are dieing or starving, if not you must truely be mad!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

There's a Discovery show called "human body" or something, and they showed/explained that our mind will react differently when we are 'dieing' or in need of food/drink.

Lol well I'd say its a given that your mind will react different when you are dieing or starving, if not you must truely be mad!

Before 'trying' to be funny and make yourself look silly, look it up and watch it.

It changes "chemical" reactions in your brains, lowers your energy output, and even put you in a survival mode. So again before making lame saractic remarks and looking stupid, watch it OR research on what our mind/brain can do in extreme situations talking in matters of life or death.

We are BUILT for survival, we suppressed several abilities, and we hardly use any brain capacity at all. There is way more to our BODY alone then we know.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Better it explains how to deduce if an unknown plant is edible

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

i agree - a very informative book. knowledge is power and in a survival situation you can't afford to learn by your mistakes.

my favourite tip from the book: how to catch seagulls - wrap a stone in a piece of bread and throw it to a seagull in flight - it will swallow it straight away and become too heavy to fly - it's then simply a matter of running it down!

yet to try it myself

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
he did do a tv series explaining basic SAS survival techniques many years ago, not sure if its available on youtube etc

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Common sense is all a man needs to survive
reply to post by Required01

i'd rather have knowledge, better yet experience, best of all good luck!

in my opinion the least useful thing is complacency. what seperates us from animals is the degree to which we rely on culture over instinct to survive.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

that title has been mentioned in several good Survival threads. even wrote it down on a 3x5 card thats been sitting right here in front of me for weeks now. another recommended title i noted is Survive! by Les Stroud.

only reason i don't have them yet is i'm frugal (lol...cheap) and i prefer to buy my books used. i read stacks then donate to the library. good deals to be had on eBay, ebay's Half.com, amazon and by looking through the listings at abebooks

and libraries have excellent sales worth checking out. they can only shelf so many, and many donations aren't what belong in a library, so on the sale table they go.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by aynock

in my opinion the least useful thing is complacency. what seperates us from animals is the degree to which we rely on culture over instinct to survive.

Going with your 'gut' feeling, works out better 90% of the time.

Just saying..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Not if your gut tells you to eat a poisonous plant lol. Does your gut tell you how to test out if a plant is eadible?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Just saying..

That was absolutely one of the most idiotic things I think I have ever heard.
I trust you were kidding.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Just saying..

That was absolutely one of the most idiotic things I think I have ever heard.
I trust you were kidding.

You will find out soon enough...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Back On Topic!

I have this fantastic book, funnily enough a good friend gave me it a couple of weeks ago

www.abebooks.co.uk...
ISBN 10: 0007158998 / 0-00-715899-8
ISBN 13: 9780007158997

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Here is the US Armys version…and it’s free! Just download the PDF. It also pretty much covers the world.

www.equipped.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I'm so happy to hear this! I ordered this book about three months ago, but have since been reading Cody Lunden's "When All Hell Breaks Loose" which arrived in the same shipment. I highly recommend his book, especially for anyone who has an easier time remembering information that is presented in a graphically different way on every single page. I'm not sure why but I can recall the information more easily when I can picture the page it appeared on with one of the illustrator's funny or silly pictures related to the lesson. And nobody has ever done such a thorough job at hammering home the fact that it's absolutely critical to get control over your fear and panic. I can say I really, really get why panic will all but carve the headstone now, and that I just didn't get it before.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join