It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gana La Verde

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It is a favorite pastime of many Americans, including many here, to speak of the gross injustices of American society, the corruption of our government and its leaders, yet every day many people risk life and limb to come here to live the American dream.

Now there is a spanish-language TV show that airs in California and Texas in which those who wish to live in the US legally submit themselves to all manner of indignities and dangers to receive one year of legal assistance to receive a "Green Card."

"Gana La Verde" is considered by many to be both exploitive and demeaning, but the show has a waiting list of individuals who are willing to suffer these indigities for the chance to win, not a green card, but just the chance that they might qualify for one.

What say ye?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I know, from first hand experience via travelling and speaking with people from other countries that when they (people that want to go to the USA) talk about America, they think they are going to the "Land of opportunity". They see American Television, see Americans that visit their coutnry and think..."if I go to America, I can be just like them."

America (and all other "rich" nations) don't advertise the unatractive side of the coin. Sure, it is the land of opportunity, but only if you work hard, are smart, and really know what you are getting in too.

However, that said, I'm sure many imigrants would much prefer to "live of the system" in the USA or any other "rich" country instead of what they are dealing with now.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan America (and all other "rich" nations) don't advertise the unatractive side of the coin. Sure, it is the land of opportunity, but only if you work hard, are smart, and really know what you are getting in too.

Does America advertise? Is it really correct to say that every wart on the nose of America isn't broadcast all over the world every day? This is an international website, how much good do you read about America here? How much of these negatives come from Americans themselves?

One would think that anyone with a brain would want to live anywhere but here.

[edit on 04/8/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This program is not made in the US it is from mexico and air in texas and new mexico.

personaly I think it should be banned from US.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043 personaly I think it should be banned from US.

That's an interesting position. Wouldn't that be censorship?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well you have to consider that they are giving away green cards as a price and is illegal in US, they are giving away false hopes.

After all it is not made in US, and it is not censor by US standards.

But then the questions of legality come and well where are the morals.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well you have to consider that they are giving away green cards as a price and is illegal in US, they are giving away false hopes.

Please read the article. The contestants don't win green cards. They win one year's worth of legal aid to assist them in qualifying for a green card. There are no guarantees.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, that then does not guarantee a free pass in the US, but then again most of the contestants are already illegal in the US to begin with.

My first job when my husband got station here in Georgia was with a lawyer that specialized in immigration process, only takes five years of living in the US and working to get in the list to become a citizen, it is not hard at all.

The problem is not the five years but how expensive the process is to this people.

new topics

top topics

join