It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Back in my day!" thread for us old timers...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by OldCorp

Same as you have said without the grandkids.My kids are 12 and 9.
Cheech and chong!,I bet that one is worth some money on ebay.

Ok who remembers Dave's not here The funniest bit I ever heard

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
When dialing (not pressing) "O" got you the operator who did the job of 411, 911, and all other tasks combined.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
back in my day red dwarf was new.
back in my day you could win a packet of crisps in a packet of crisps.
back in my day pot noodle had 2 flavours. beef and tomato . chicken and mushroom.
back in my day homer simpson had a different voice.
back in my day the modem was noisy.
back in my day patrick moore (the astronomer) gave out game cheats on a show called GamesMaster

that'll do.
damn is 26 really that old...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
back in my day red dwarf was new.
back in my day you could win a packet of crisps in a packet of crisps.
back in my day pot noodle had 2 flavours. beef and tomato . chicken and mushroom.
back in my day homer simpson had a different voice.
back in my day the modem was noisy.
back in my day patrick moore (the astronomer) gave out game cheats on a show called GamesMaster

that'll do.
damn is 26 really that old...

Dude ,I graduated from highschool when you were born.
I think.

No,I'm wrong,lost a few years and brain cells in college! '82
Those were the days.
edit on 26-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Back in the day we had water coolers, not air conditioners

Back in the day, flava flav, vanilla ice, and new kids on the block were the shiz nit

Back in the day scary movies were scary

Back in the day I was the first kid who had la gear light up shoes

Back in the day, on weekends, we could play outside all night, while the grown ups got drunk (or was that just my parents? Lol)

Back in the day, prank calling was sooo fun!! and your dad taught u how, lmao good times!

Back in the day we could actually explore the neighborhood without getting in trouble for tresspassing.

Back in the day, the cops just took you home and let your parents have at you.

Back in the day you had to wind the plate in the microwave.

Back in the day, leggings and oversized tshirts wer the style, with of course the big bang hairflip, soaked In aquanet

Im sure I got more :p

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Back in my day words like sh*t and da*n were bleeped out of music on the radio. "Computers" were people who worked for accounting firms. Cameras shot 110mm film and you had to hold them at waist level and look down into the eyepiece at an inverted image. You played outside (barefoot) from the moment you got home from school until it was time for dinner. When the fogger truck drove through fogging for mosquitos, you ran back and forth laughing through the thick smoke being spewed out of the truck. Your dad kept mercury in a jar and would pour it into your hands to let you play with it. You played all night friday night with the neighbors while your parents played bridge with their parents. For fun you'd ride on the "package tray" inside the car (the shelf behind the back seat). Telephones all had rotary dials and you just hated numbers with a bunch of 8's and 9's in them because they took so long to dial. Milk was delivered to your house and it was in big glass bottles. Cokes came in bottles that were all scratched and scuffed from being refilled dozens of times. You built plastic models using Testors glue that would make you high as a kite if you left the door to your room closed. You listened to music on a plastic AM radio that had to have the antenna fully extended and pointed in just the right direction. You laid in the grass at night with the neighbors and pondered the zillions of stars that were easily visible back then. You fired off fireworks in the front yard, just like everyone else in the neighborhood. You ate whatever you got in your bag while trick-or-treating without thinking about razor blades or needles. And you stayed up all night trying to catch Santa, but you never quite made it

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by itbenickp
we listened to our neighbors like they were our own parents,

Oh my yes, and we NEVER called them by their first names. It was ALWAYS the last name preceded by Mister or Missus. Your friends' parents were not your buddies, they were authority figures to be respected.
edit on 26-8-2011 by SavedOne because: Typo

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It seems like only yesterday I was buying a pack of Marlboros for 95 cents and gas was 71 cents a gallon...wow...does that make me old?

Fun thread...cheers to the OP!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Back in my day well when i was young i didnet have to worry bout nothing now i hate lfie i drve my self crazy wondering why i dont know ugh i could go on and on i wish i knew what they dident tel uss now i think i can talk to aliens ha idk im prob just weird

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Anyone remember when they were gonna shut down mtv I think? Lol, all I remember was being taken to concert chanting "i want my mtv!"

On that note, back in my day we mtv really was music telivision.

I remember "the box" channel.

Oregan trail.. Never did win that lol

And if you wanted bootleg movies, you had to have a blockbuster card and 2 vcrs

edit on 26-8-2011 by showintail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I remember my folks buying Lucky Charms..

Just so we could get the kite that came in the box...

It flew too..

just had to add a little tail to it...

but it did fly.....

(had to cut it from the back of the box)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Can we agree that back in the day is a little foggy now,slowly becoming forgotten history.
My daughter could not understand why there wasn't a button to roll down the window in a rental car we had to get one time.I told her to use that handle and roll it down.
That is our generation gap folks.,we grew up with out electronics and computers and cell phones.
The generation now has never been without that stuff.
God help us all!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladerunner44

Originally posted by adraves
Back in my day we ate straw and # gold.

Back in my day we crapped rainbows and # butterflies! We had an immigration tax on the elves that popped out. We took there lucky charms for laughs!

lol...off topic I suppose. It made me laugh at least.

Made me laugh you must have been a child of the sixties like me. What a blast that was, the world was changing and we were riding the wave I wish I could go back for just one day!!!

Sadly, I was not a child of the sixties, but wish I was. I do love the music of the time though. It would have been an amazing time to live. So much was happening.

I am younger than many posters here, but I am starting to feel my age. A lot has changed since I was young. It seems like the only reason we work nowadays is to keep up with all of the changes and afford the newest toys. Progress is slow, but when we look at memories it makes the world seem so strange and rushed. It is surreal to remember how things were. Have any of these changes made us happier?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
AND the original 1/4lb rolling paper that came with C&C's "Big Bambu" album!

Haha, my old man's "paper" was missing off that album cover! I always wondered what used to be there, lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
my first concert was THE BEATLES at the fairgrounds heard nothing but screams and yeah yeah yeah
a Hershey bar was a dime
a pop bottle in the ditch got you a dime
a loaf of bread was fifteen cents
paper route paid 13 dollars a week always some bottles in the ditch my first computer was fire control on nuclear submarine
probably had the power of pong
a cold beer at the tavern was 65 cents a shot was 75
the music of the hour was doors or airplane
i went the other day looking for a turntable poor kid at box store had no clue
still have 5000 vinyl tunes 1963 to 1976 have most everything
and things sure went to hell about the time of the bee gees

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

i bought two so still have one with big bamboo
never unwrapped sweet thanks for that thought of a three hour laugh session use the paper
15 dollars to fill said paper

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
back in my day:

special effects made such a huge leap forward, that everyone was stunned into awestruck silence

mr. tudball met wanda wiggins (out-take, some foul language)

everybody wanted one of these

fun with challk and rocks, or chalk rocks

girls were actually really smart

and some of them were made out of rubber!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by morrow2112
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

the bigtrak was the coolest toy you could get.....i could get mine all over the house and not hit anything...........left 6 forward 2 fire,fire....the funny thing is...it would be a big seller today....

Too right,they were great,and you can still buy them today,I got one for my Niece and she loves it.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314484258&sr=8-1

They use less batteries too-just 3 D cells now.
But the classic bigtrak noises are still there.

Anyhow,here is another song I remember from back in the day:

Classic.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Yea..

I was there in those days..

you just made me miss them....A Lot..

star for you...

great post!

new topics

top topics