It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Back in my day!" thread for us old timers...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alternator
reply to post by adraves

I wish i could go back to that time, im getting crazy with all the phone and facebook/social media stuff.
How can they even call it "social", everybody is living on it's own these days.

Christ "social networks" weren't a thing 10 years ago. Wow they only caught on what 5 years ago? It was and is a fad. Those sites needs to die. I hated them when they came out and still do (privacy is golden). We don't need those sites and don't want it beyond an address book and birthday reminder...god I do so hate those sites.

This is so weird for me to say because I am an extreme tech nerd. I have been and always was cutting edge, but FB and MS kind of ruined it in a way... All of a sudden we were all expected to be extroverts and sell our souls to the devil.

There is Google too. I can and could tech support just about anyone off the top of my head(windows based), but Google took that away from me. No biggie I guess Lets sell our souls instead....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Moon

I can honestly say that your post has been the best so far. Way to rant. I loved it.

It is also why I started this thread, Rant on young/old.transition people....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Google?! Lemme tell you, when I was a kid, the nearest we had to that was the old local hag who would consult the tarot cards for information. Then she got burned at the stake, after she gave us all the plague.
But we didn't sit around moaning about it, we just got on with it!

Bloody kids today have no respect...

edit on 26/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: spelling

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Four Yorkshire Men.
edit on 26/8/2011 by Mr Moon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Back in my day the federal debt was under 700 Billion, gas was 60 cents per gal. Airport security checked my knife to make sure the blade was less than 4 inches. My first computer had a 20 MB hard drive.

link   
Back in my day we ate straw and # gold.

Back in my day we crapped rainbows and # butterflies! We had an immigration tax on the elves that popped out. We took there lucky charms for laughs!

lol...off topic I suppose. It made me laugh at least.

link   
reply to post by Mr Moon

That video doesn't seem to work. Wouldn't have happened in my day. Wood engravings were always visible when you looked at 'em.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Moon

LMAO

Baby safety carriers were a bassinette on the back seat.

Cars only came with stereos on option.

Bakelite was the only plastic.

Calculators were called adding machines.

Computers filled large rooms and could only be found in universities.

A digital watch was a rich man's toy.

Air conditioning in a car was winding down the window.

Workplace safety was making the boss a cuppa in the morning.

Mathematics went hand in hand with a slide rule.

Kids were $#!t scared of statements such as "Just wait until your father gets home".

Classic thread S&F

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i remember back in about 1982
my father came home with a toploader vhs player
the things were so expensive that people rented them from granada rent
and wen you pressed eject on the machine
it would shoot up so fast and literally lifted the player of the floor
then my dad got a remote for it
these remotes had to be plugged in
with about a 10 meter wire lol

hahahaha i bet someone will come along and say
in my day twas horse and cart to get around lol
edit on 26-8-2011 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2011 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Back in my day we had three tv channels and one tv

if i was cheeky/rude to an adult i got a smak on the back of my head

but people died in my local police station(Hyton liverpool) so it was'nt all good got my first police kickin aged elevin
edit on 26-8-2011 by marvinthemartian because: dyslexic

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Back in my day there was this thing called NEW music styles.
As in, a totally new type of music that you'd never heard before.
Disco,
New wave synthesiser,
Rap,
Heavy metal,
Death metal,
Prog rock
Glam
Industrial
Techno
Punk
Gothic
...and many more.
Even if you didnt like them, at least they were new and different.

I always thought I'd try to keep up with the latest music when I became older.
But I didnt, and for a reason that I could never have imagined.
Music became dull, boring, recycled, derivative manufactured garbage that I've heard a thousand times before.

edit on 26-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by davesmart
in my day
the best computers were
comodore 64 and zx spectrum
the programme had to be run of a tape
and took about 1/2 hour to load
oh those were the days

Haha Some did, not all.. I mean some only took 15 minutes!! 8^]

Until that fastload tape came out frome who knows where... 15 mins to 15 seconds!

miss those days.. lol miss the old 64k corall (sp?) magazine that used to be out for the zx too..

I remember playing Frogger as the first game i ever played on a tape cassette!

Back then we didn't had trafficbumps, but holes in the ground..

I miss the old cartoons, nowadays it's all totally spies,megamindy and worse for kids to grow up with..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Elexio

hi
frogger was a great game
and as for cartoons
i loved inspector gadget and batfink
i just recently watched a great old cartoon from my childhood
the mysterious cities of gold

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
hahahaha i bet someone will come along and say
in my day twas horse and cart to get around lol

No, but something similar.

Back in my days, we didn't have speedbumps, but holes in the road.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
back in my day.... there were lunch counters at department stores.....not McDonalds at the back of Wallmart.... but real food and real people GO BEN FRANKLINS.....GO MCORRIES 5&10 may you both R.I.P....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
back in my day we ate tons of junk food and played video games all day and yet nobody was obese.

on the weekends I would make sure I'd get control of the tv to watch my cartoons only to have my older sister beat my ass and put casey cassem on.

kids would spends hours walking around the neighborhood trying to get enough people together for baseball, football, hockey, manhunt, etc...

back in the day when you got a new computer game, you couldn't discuss it with anyone, cause nobody else had one.

we could play outside all night cause kid snatchers only existed in the movies and camp fire stories.

the first kid to get his hands on mario 3 ended up having to convince his mom to let 20 kids sleepover till the game was beat.

if another kid pissed you off, your tonka truck became a certified instrument of death.

getting a lousy g.i. joe was the perfect time to test out the new firecrackers.

fistfights were serious business and needed to be coordinated through a network of friends, and be scheduled for a certain time and place. then afterwards your mom would force you to be friends with the kid.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Riding your push bike with no lights, bald tyres, bad brakes, no helmet/arm/knee pads and bent wheels on the pavements.

Fishing along the rivers without a license.

swimming pool entrance costing 12 pence for as long as you liked, unless the place was busting at the seams.

Cinema queues stretched right around the back of the cinema and you'd be turned away as all seats sold...

Tesco was a small, high street food shop.

Bus to town was 10 pence (about 2 miles travel)

Bunking off school at 15 to go grab a pint, or three, at the pub in town, then go off to see an 18 rated movie.

Petrol was 30 pence a litre.

freezing water in moulds made from the impression of a 50 pence piece in order to feed the electric meter.

Car insurance cover notes were waterproof so you could wash them in brake fluid to remove ball point pen ink and write in your own 'new' dates.

The local fish and chip shop would buy the Chub (a fish) you caught from the river.

One black and white TV with only three channels, no remote and all channels would turn off around midnight to 1am.. BBC would play national anthem... then sit and watch the white dot as the channel goes blank.

Coal and wood fire in the living room was only source of heat for the entire house.
Having several blankets on your bed to keep warm at night in the winter.. Duvets were yet to be introduced.

Being one of the last to get a VHS video player.

Central heating was a new idea... only for it to be heated by a back boiler behind the wood/coal fire.

The summer of '76... cracked ground, ice creams melting before you got the wrapper off..

7" singles cost 75p.

Cars came with only one speaker mounted in the middle of the dashboard.

Being able to walk into almost any place of business and ask for a job and actually get it!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpal

My little bro used to love Tazos-he collected the entire star wars set,and he's still got them in a book.

Back in my day it was cassettes for music-and I still remember my dad having a "4 track" cassette player in his car,circa late 1970's.

We got the "pong" game console when I was little in the early 80's.Then it was on to the sinclair zx81 "computer" and learning to programme games.
Think that had 16k of RAM!!!!Wow the power!

When I showed my niece aged 6 the pong game she couldn't believe it was a game at all-"its just two lines and a dot!"
I showed her a cassette and the player,and said what is that?
She reckoned it was a machine for winding "plastic!"
Oh and I remember my mum had a complete list of "E numbers"(chemical food additives)which only went up to about E 400 in the 80's.
There are more than 1500 on the list today.

Radio Luxembourg was still on the air when I was I kid,I used to love that at night.

People really did used to leave their doors unlocked if they went out.No more.

People could drive,and actually enjoy the experience,without the daily rush hour jams/road rage we get nowadays.

You never had to check food ingredients for GMO's as they did not exist.
Obesity was not a problem,as kids played outside instead of on the Xbox.

Wasn't all good fun though looking back-we had Thatcher as PM,who just loved the murderous General Pinochet,and hated the unions.

Petrol was affordable though,so was food.
There was almost zero CCTV in towns and cities.

There were nearly two and a half billion less people on the planet compared to today.

Our Irish brothers and sisters were the engineered enemy of the day,and the US were supporting them with money and Gaddafhi was selling them arms.

We were great mates with Saddam and co!
We were helping supply what would become the Taliban with arms to fight the Soviets.

50pence and 10 pence pieces were massive,and we still had £1 notes and 1/2pennies.

Ah those were the days....
Good thread!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
the nearest neighbor was a mile away
hauling water from the pond so you could flush your toilet.
reading by oil lamp,
getting paddled at school by the principle meant getting paddled at home.
missing the school bus meant pulling weeds all day till the 4pm, then you had to do your regular chores.
listening to "Fibber, McGee and Molly" or "Mr. X" on each Saturday on the radio.
Christmas toys were handmade.
American cars were made in America, and you didn't have to be a "technician" to work on them.
You could smoke in restaurants, courtrooms, on planes, buses and inside hospitals, and no one would care.
Pot was something you cooked in.
Watching a movie was a special occasion the whole family enjoyed.
Families worked together, played together, ate together, prayed together. and stayed together.
You turned in your 22 rifle to the teacher at the beginning of class, got it back at the end of the day, cause you might need it to kill a rattlesnake that may be in the pathway on the trail home from school.
The younger kids at school would gang up on the bully to teach him a lesson, and nobody got in trouble.
When people helped each other out, it was with no strings attached.

Things were simple then. We worked hard, played hard, and were satisfied with the simple things.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
When I was young, people had a gun rack in the back window of their pickup. And it usually had a shotgun, a rifle, or both hanging on it everywhere they went. Teenagers even drove to school with a gun in the back window. If a cop pulled you over, he didn't pay much attention to the gun unless it was unique, or he just wanted to make sure it wasn't loaded, because it would be dangerous to you and others if it accidentally discharged.

I also remember some bringing their new shotguns and hunting knives to school after Christmas break for show and tell in class. The teacher didn't think anything of it. It was no different than bringing a Barbie doll.

I could go on, but you get the point. Try any of the above now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join