The "Back in my day!" thread for us old timers...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I will start off the thread with:

Back in my day music came on a thing called cassettes. Cd's were a privilege, and no one had anything other than a boombox to listen to personal music.

Back in my day a 32" TV weighed 140 pounds and had 3 inputs on it! Svideo was cutting edge!

Back in my day we got 3 TV channels on a black and white TV that had no remote control!

Back in my father's day he grew pot for fun as a hobby! No one cared.

When I was growing up there was no internet! We used something called an encyclopedia.

When I grew up school was taught on a chalk board and tests were taken on paper....and we didn't have calculators!

Back in my day there were 9 planets!!!!

Back in my day we read goosbumbs!

Back in my day it took 4 hours to download a 30mb copy of south park because cable didn't carry the channel.

Anyways have anything else to share? Time seems to be moving so fast!
edit on 26-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Back in my day video games DIDN'T suck.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Back in my day....5 people living in one house with only one phone number between us..

And I was the remote control, beer getter, and cigs buyer for my pops and the age of 8.. All I told the clerk was "They are for my Dad."
edit on 26-8-2011 by BlackOops because: Had a few

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Im only 20 but i remember back in the days collecting TAZOS from walkers crips packets

Tazos

Anyone else remember them?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
back in the day, pogs were about the closest you'd get to a portable game

and it used to snow in december instead of mid spring

ed: I vaguely remember tazos >_> the name at least
edit on 26/8/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
Back in my day video games DIDN'T suck.

Back in my day games were constructed around story and not graphics. Whole worlds you could interact with were created around the story.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
back in the day, pogs were about the closest you'd get to a portable game

and it used to snow in december instead of mid spring

ed: I vaguely remember tazos >_> the name at least
edit on 26/8/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

Oh god pogs and beanie babies happened at about the same time. It was crazy how bad kids wanted them. It was like kid crack.

Back in my day Ninja Turtles kicked arse!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Back in my day, you programmed computers with cards.

And the nearest thing you got to a game was Will Crowthers's Adventure.
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"

edit on 26-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

peice of card with a picture on it, great marketing right? xD I had about 200 but a fad is a fad, and I have no clue where they are now.

im not exactly an ol' timer but I don't feel young anymore xD

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
in my day
the best computers were
comodore 64 and zx spectrum
the programme had to be run of a tape
and took about 1/2 hour to load
oh those were the days

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

You get the picture.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

back in my day

Gamers played Monopoly, on a flat gameboard on the floor.

There were cars with no headrests, seatbelts or outside mirrors.

Smokes were 45 cents a pack, and there wasn't 300 brands to choose from.

T-shirts were white, and you wore them under your button-down collared shirt.

Most people believed what TV newscasters told them.

Music was on thick LP (long playing) record albums.

Radio broadcast was on AM.

Gay men were known as 'confirmed bachelors' and that's all that was said.

Women wore dresses & skirts most all the time.

There were no Malls. The concept didn't exist yet. There were a few Shopping Plazas, which was new; it was a strip of stores in a line.

Grocery stores were very small. There was very little frozen or prepared meals. Fresh and canned, some frozen things.

People bought gas at Service Stations. 'Service' meaning they would gladly check your tries air pressure, check the oil level, wash your windows, speak English.

Many places gave Trading Stamps when you made a purchase. Mom would put them in flimsy little booklets and trade them in once a year at a Redemption Center. You could get a wide variety of items, for free.

Banks would give you a toaster for opening an account.

If you cracked wise to a School Teacher, you would experience pain as a result.

---- i'm old as dirt.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
reply to post by adraves

peice of card with a picture on it, great marketing right? xD I had about 200 but a fad is a fad, and I have no clue where they are now.

im not exactly an ol' timer but I don't feel young anymore xD

God back in my day we used APS or 35mm. I remember my first digi. It was less than one MP and stored about 12 shots on an xD card.

Yeah I do not feel young or old at this point, but wow, I am definitely not young anymore. When I started saying damn kids and this music is trash, I sort of figured that out. *Cringe*

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
in my day
the best computers were
oh those were the days

jeez. That brought back memories. I remember the first computer my fathers office bought. It had a tape back-up system that took 30 minutes plus to complete (we are talking megabytes not gigs) and was not all that reliable.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
in my day
the best computers were
oh those were the days

Haha Some did, not all.. I mean some only took 15 minutes!! 8^]

Until that fastload tape came out frome who knows where... 15 mins to 15 seconds!

miss those days.. lol miss the old 64k corall (sp?) magazine that used to be out for the zx too..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I wish i could go back to that time, im getting crazy with all the phone and facebook/social media stuff.
How can they even call it "social", everybody is living on it's own these days.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Back in my day computers were run on steam power.
And there was always a decent tune on the wireless that you could whistle to.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by adraves

back in my day

Gamers played Monopoly, on a flat gameboard on the floor.

There were cars with no headrests, seatbelts or outside mirrors.

Smokes were 45 cents a pack, and there wasn't 300 brands to choose from.

T-shirts were white, and you wore them under your button-down collared shirt.

Most people believed what TV newscasters told them.

Music was on thick LP (long playing) record albums.

Radio broadcast was on AM.

Gay men were known as 'confirmed bachelors' and that's all that was said.

Women wore dresses & skirts most all the time.

There were no Malls. The concept didn't exist yet. There were a few Shopping Plazas, which was new; it was a strip of stores in a line.

Grocery stores were very small. There was very little frozen or prepared meals. Fresh and canned, some frozen things.

People bought gas at Service Stations. 'Service' meaning they would gladly check your tries air pressure, check the oil level, wash your windows, speak English.

Many places gave Trading Stamps when you made a purchase. Mom would put them in flimsy little booklets and trade them in once a year at a Redemption Center. You could get a wide variety of items, for free.

Banks would give you a toaster for opening an account.

If you cracked wise to a School Teacher, you would experience pain as a result.

---- i'm old as dirt.

Holy shiz you are old as dirt, but that is why this thread was created. Things change so fast, and it is fun to talk about things long gone/they way they were.

Okay monopoly is a common point...but

No head rests? No seat belts? No mirrors?

Thank you for your post. It has a lot of good points. I am in a transition sate where I see kids not remembering the way things were. Your post makes me feel like a kid trying to understand a different time. If this thread was worth anything it was because of your post. Thank you again.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our BUTTS! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your BUTT and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternator

The only social media we ever had was meeting up with friends and talking in person.
It all went down hill when they brought in this newfangled electricity nonsense.
edit on 26/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join