It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Irene Just Divide in TWO?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Unless it has been mentioned here is a great resource for weather.

www.nrlmry.navy.mil...

And that blip or second "eye" was no eye the eye is a calm spot in the center of a hurricane it was instead a massive storm cell created and spun off from Irene.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

HURRICANE IRENE 8/26/2011 4:30 am

. . .

FORECAST: HURRICANE IRENE is a Category 3 (temporarily a Category 2 as it undergoes an eye-wall replacement) . . .

Link

You guys are funny.

There was no second eye? The facts beg to differ.

edit on 8/26/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The way the storm came barreling over the islands it should have slammed into Brunswick, GA, Hilton Head and Beaufort, SC, or Charleston, SC. Moving onward to Columbia SC. The water in the ocean at Beaufort,SC is like Hot bath water at this time of year. The water is shallow as well, because the intercontinental shelf is more than 60 miles out from shore. Unlike Florida, where the shelf is much closer to shore and they have more shark attacks.
I was ready to rearange the garage to park the cars indoors to avoid tree limbs and hail. But we aren't going to see a drop of water here now in Columbia, SC. The trees here have a slight rustle to them but nothing to keep a hurricane from making land fall in SC. So, I would say the whole detour Northward is weird.
edit on 26-8-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2011 by frugal because: spelling

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating something someone else has already stated.

Yesterday or maybe late Wed I heard a forecaster (on CNN I believe) say that a second eye formed due to some phenomena. Basically, the 2nd eye will speed up the storm. He didn't say anything else about it other than it's uncommon but not impossible.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
hey TA ... having trouble loading a video and thought you might find this interesting ... not a fan of the site but another poster suggested it so i went poking around and what i see sure has me
wondering

here's a link to the map: CMC Atlantic MSLP
once you animate it ... keep an eye on the PR region (where the 'anomaly' originates)
what's with the (i'll call it "low pressure ball" / color blue) and its trajectory around the western edge of the storm ??

i admit i don't know what it is, but it's certainly 'remarkable' considering the natural evolution of such storms and surrounding pressures. Not asking for any answer mind you just input and possibly a posting of the animation for others to see (i can't figure out how to do it and animate it too)
thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

That is cool.

Looks like Europe will get the left overs of the storm in a week or so

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Check this out:

It appears as if a new eye has developed and is getting its own surrounding mass of swirl, to the northeast of the the original eye.

Anyone?

Look here for animation- click animate at top right:
LINK

I'm afraid you want this hurricane to split. Not because your a malicious person but because your dying for strange anomalies to happen FOR SOME STRANGE REASON. Your over analyzing this storm to another level. That's why most of your constituents have denied your observation.

If a hurricane is going to split it will happen at two points. And those points are when the hurricane is very weak. Which is when upon commencement and in its dying days . Hurricanes with an eye wall do not split. Meaning healthy hurricanes do not split.

In this case the west side is the weakest and the east side is the strongest. The east side will have the "most of everything" and that is why novices(like yourself) would assume the north east corner of the hurricane is magically splitting. Which it is not . This hurricane is slowly dying do to a front(coming from the NW) pushing a lot of wind(east) sheering-off the west side of hurricane irene.

Sorry to burst your bubble bud.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
no no not two it is dieing.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I'm afraid you want this hurricane to split. Not because your a malicious person but because your dying for strange anomalies to happen FOR SOME STRANGE REASON. Your over analyzing this storm to another level. That's why most of your constituents have denied your observation.

If a hurricane is going to split it will happen at two points. And those points are when the hurricane is very weak. Which is when upon commencement and in its dying days . Hurricanes with an eye wall do not split. Meaning healthy hurricanes do not split.

HURRICANE IRENE 8/26/2011 4:30 am

. . .

FORECAST: HURRICANE IRENE is a Category 3 (temporarily a Category 2 as it undergoes an eye-wall replacement) . . .

Link

It formed a new eye (that has it's own swirl . . . which takes over the original eye.). This is called eye-wall replacement.

Sorry to burst your bubble . . . bud.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
yes hurricanes dont divide in nature.

the temporary(?) division we are seeing is mostly likely a transient(?) side effect of the haarp steering from PR.

Oh really?

Hurricane Edna September 11, 1954 ‘Edna’ arrived right on the heels of Hurricane Carol. It formed off of Barbados, reaching Category 3 strength at the Outer Banks of North Carolina, with its highest winds of 120 mph. split into two up to 60 miles apart at times, moving over Cape Cod & the Islands where peak gusts were recorded at 120 mph. Its eastern track, which resulted in heavy rain and major inland flooding, adding 5” to 7” of rain to Carol’s previous 6”. The storm was responsible for 29 deaths and $40 million damage. Ultimately, it made landfall near Eastport, Maine, becoming one of Maine’s worst-ever hurricanes. The name ‘Edna’ has been retired.

Yeah I know, using facts and common sense on ATS before jumping to the least likely explanation is frowned upon here on ATS, but I figured I'd try anyway.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
it's just a rain band. The sea surface temps are a good 80 - 90degrees. The only thing stopping Irene from being a category 3 or 4 or 5 are the land masses that slow the hurricanes rotation down, in return it also slows evaporation down. You can't have a hurricane "split" like it's mitosis or something. Has never happened and will never happen.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You know what I mean
I hope?

This thread is about the suggestion, based on a misunderstanding of satellite imagery, that Irene was forming a second eye and splitting into two.

EWR is perfecty normal behaviour for a hurricane and not what this thread is about at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I hope that it's just a ring of showers or a large cell.

That is freaky.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Breaking News********

Washington DC has run out of sand for making sandbags.....Obama says use hundred dollar bills, we can always tax / print more...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

Has never happened and will never happen.

when o when will the pool of idiots do some research before spouting nonsense???
Hurricane Edna blows your statement right out the ballpark !!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So the answer to the thread title is:

The entire storm did not divide in two, but a new eye did develop, and an eye wall replacement took place- giving the appearance that the storm briefly divided in two. And there was at least one case, Edna, where a storm DID divide in two- so that is possible- making the question a valid one considering what was being witnessed on the screen at the time. Comments about Irene from professional meteorologists corroborate this.

I did ask a question. Not make a blanket statement. So the moral of the story is:

If you are brave enough to ask a question around here- prepare for a category 5 hurricane. Cause dem folks will beat you down every stinkin chance they get, with whatever they got.

Except for my friends. Well.... Even then sometimes. Only way to last around here is not to give a flying **** and ask anyways. So I don't.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Hurricane Edna.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for the update. I saw this thread go up last night and was wondering what the outcome would be.

Don't sweat the haters, ya know the 'net is full of 'em...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

Has never happened and will never happen.

when o when will the pool of idiots do some research before spouting nonsense???
Hurricane Edna blows your statement right out the ballpark !!!!

And I bet you'd never even heard of Edna before today

SSL was quite correct in what he said, given the context. A major hurricane like this has never split in two - nor am I aware of any way it could whilst this vigorous - and even Edna did not split in two as such.

On the other hand, it does look like Nanmadol and Talas coulld well merge. And that's something I don't recall seeing before

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My instincts tell me 1 thing: "Damn, that's a BIG storm!" It's still kicking up the winds, at 110 mph (sustained) and that's the key, IMHO....it's NOT dying! 5 MPH hardly makes a difference. Another thing that caught my attention..was someone who posted a pic...with the projected path...and what states would receive the most damage...and i couldn't help but think.....why would they show a graph, and label something "CATASTROPHIC". The graph showed the NY/NJ metro area, and it was 'EXTREME'; 1 level from 'catastrophic'. I mean, couldn't they have used...Very Extreme instead of 'catastropic'.

This is what bothers me, most.....people are loosing their sense of 'INSTINCTS'....our most IMPORTANT survival tool. Helloooooo out in la-la land.....but THIS IS SERIOUS!!!! Didn't that area just go through, quite a bit of rain and now this? Keep this in mind....if the Hudson River goes, so goes NYC!!! Buh-Bye Wall Street. Oh wait, now that i think about it......this CAN'T BE good. Is this building 7 that's about to fall, for no 'reason'.
"Quick, get rid of the evidence....before we're exposed!!!!"

Another thing, that's pretty worrisome, is the fact that the people over on the east coast, are pretty much, unprepared. Now, they decide to make a run for the stores. I told them, you better run for the hills. The Poconos is a nice place to be, right about now!

What IF this was an ENEMY attack....in retaliation, for the Japan disaster???? Is it POSSIBLE???

And, for all you people that think you know EVERYTHING, about everything....i seriously doubt it. Scientists do this stuff for a living, and they're CLUELESS. Everything we 'think' we know...is all a HYPOTHESIS - an EDUCATED GUESS! So please...if you would...stop acting like our lives, which have been formed by 'educated guesses' is concrete evidence. 9-11 defied the laws of physics...remember?

ETA: She's gonna hit NYC, over the weekend? Didn't what's his face, just bail out Bank of America? Stocks have been shakey, Gold has skyrocketed, wars are starting like crazy...CME's have been pounding the earth (which has to affect our psyche), and now this??? IDK.....jus' sayin'......when we LEAST expect it.

Stocks recover after Bernanke predicts... Could this be the scream before destruction? You know the one that yells.."peace and safety"..."all is well". Or, am i just 'fear-mongering'. lol:
edit on 26-8-2011 by nuttin4U because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join