It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Irene Just Divide in TWO?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by exo87

Are hurricanes and such that different from tornado's?

I know that tornado's down here dont actually "split" BUT they do "spawn".

I've seen one go to three before. Pretty amazing stuff.
Hurricanes are groups of masssive thunderstorms that either converge or split due to how well formed they are. Tornadoes are plural vortexes forming off of 1 thunderstorm or a sweeping line of thunderstorms. Comparing the two is like comparing a tornado to a dust devil or even to a thermal column. Yes, there are a lot of physical similarities, so the physics that govern how spinning bodies work will affect them all, but they are not so close that we can assume that they are perfectly alike.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
My girlfriend has a lay over in NYC JFK on Saturday, I hope she doesn't get stranded there. (or worse) I'm really nervous... if I had nails to bite I would be.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Dogmire because: gratificational errors.....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well, I was going to agree it was just eyewall replacement, but after seeing this, not so sure. I've put numbers in the two eyes, and drawn arrows in showing outer perimeter of potential rotation. Looks like it's cutting its own path into the first. But on radar it looks like it's just getting absorbed into the first right now. So I don't know.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlUnleashed

Soo... all this CONTINUITY OF GOVERNMENT blah blah..

Do the NYC stock exchanges have geographic backup systems so trading will not be halted?

What do they do if there is damage? Trading down ?

That will hurt.

After 11-09-01 they built a hot backup site some place in New Jersey so trading could resume almost immediately.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You know, a lot of people around here are really knowledgeable about earthquakes and volcanoes, but when it comes to hurricanes...WOW. I'm just sitting here laughing my ass off over the ridiculous notion of another eye forming. That has absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever and goes against the principles of hurricane formation/stability. That is NOT a second eye forming. A second eye formation would rob Irene of EVERYTHING, and would start falling apart instantly. Please put this idea to rest.

And please, take everything out of the equation involving "haarp" and Irene. This is mother nature doing what she does best and has done for billions of years.
edit on 26-8-2011 by edgecrusher2199 because: More Info

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
good sit to monitor the Hurricane

Hurricane live
edit on 26-8-2011 by borutp because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Reply to post by edgecrusher2199

Hi.

Hurricane Edna would like to speak with you.

As the storm passed Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, something unusual happened. The eye of the storm split into two sections. One eye was said to be over Cape Cod near Brewster, while the other was said to be northeast of Provincetown. Record pressure readings at Truro (28.29") and Nantucket (28.18") supported the presence of the two eyes as they are over 60 miles apart.

Link

Continue laughing your ass off at all the less knowledgeable fools, though.

edit on 8/26/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Hi.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yeah, don't you just love the drive by posters? What seems to bury me as the OP turns out to be case of no read Edna... Sending him flying back into the great beyond wishing like hell he never would have made that post.

And besides, if two eyes would weaken the bitch, then let's hope it's true...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

No, it is a typical eyewall replacement cycle which is totally normal in strong tropical cyclones

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dogmire
My girlfriend has a lay over in NYC JFK on Saturday, I hope she doesn't get stranded there. (or worse) I'm really nervous... if I had nails to bite I would be.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Dogmire because: gratificational errors.....

omg....i'm still half asleep.

when i read that i thought it said she was going to hold up at the NYC KFC......then I started getting hungry.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well, I don't think winds and cat 1 or 2 or 2 cat 1 or 2 Hurricanes are the real issue here for the north east. You see there is another problem with that large storm that dumped on the east coast the other day. The ground could be highly saturated at this point. This could mean flooding, really bad flooding when you look at the size of this thing.

Remember in a hurricane it isn't just a worry of a roof being blown off, there is also flooded sewers, streets, subways and of course houses; we all know about electricity and water don't mix. I'd say say it's a multiple billion dollar storm no matter what.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Hi.

As the storm passed Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, something unusual happened. The eye of the storm split into two sections. One eye was said to be over Cape Cod near Brewster, while the other was said to be northeast of Provincetown. Record pressure readings at Truro (28.29") and Nantucket (28.18") supported the presence of the two eyes as they are over 60 miles apart.

Link

Continue laughing your ass off at all the less knowledgeable fools, though.

Ha! I love it when this happens

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Most recent image from the NOAA floater:

source

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This reminds me of Katrina how at one point it split into two hurricanes because of the manafactured weather.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199

Hi everyone, I've just joined up and this is my first post.

I found this pdf on tracking multi-centred cyclones.
I hope the link works for you all.
PDF

edit on 26-8-2011 by weirdguy because: Link fixed

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MRedfield

This is what is happening to it right now, which is why it's down to a Cat 2, and seeming to fight itself. This may be good for NC, but worse for those states up North when it reforms and gains strength again further up the coast than it would've before.

I went to the CNN hurricane tracker website www.cnn.com... and took this screenshot.

It looks like it plans to gain a little more strength (wind speed), around 2pm saturday

ETA - CNN is currently saying the wind speeds are 110 mph
edit on 26-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brad Jones
This reminds me of Katrina how at one point it split into two hurricanes because of the manafactured weather.

Really? In which fantasy world was that?

Anyway, there's no new eye forming (the latest visual satellite image above makes that quite clear) so end of discussion.

At least we have (hopefully) learned that there are different types of satellite imagery and that these show different things - visual, infrared, cloud temp, rainfall, water vapour etc - so best not to jump to conclusions in future unless you know exactly what it is you're looking at

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

As the US braces for the arrival of Hurricane Irene, images showing the extent of the storm have been transmitted from the International Space Station.

Further to the "Eye Wall Replacement" angle. Mentioned on the ISS in the video above at 1:19.
edit on 26-8-2011 by PW229 because: Adjusted timestamp for video.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

HAARP?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Reply to post by Essan

Anyway, there's no new eye forming (the latest visual satellite image above makes that quite clear) so end of discussion.

The new eye already replaced the old one. It did so overnight. So there was, indeed, a new eye forming

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join