It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could the "virgin" mary have become pregnant in a public bathing pool?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

funny. you think its ok to believe a bit , just in case , the story might be true. sorta like hedging your bets.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

its not about something being black or white?

its about having faith. if you question some of the stories, you don't have faith. when you have faith or reach a point of belief, nothing matters anymore, you just accpet it all.you cannot have a bit of faith. it is because it is. when you still have questions you are lacking in faith, but dont worry, jesus will forgive you, he is waiting for you.

That sounds terribly black and white to me.

Blind, unquestioning faith doesn't sound even remotely Jesus-y to me. I doubt he'd approve.

I agree, if Jesus were here today, he would probably be what most people call a "hippie".

have you read the whole bible much? just curious.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

You have to take into account a more universal picture though. Mass extinctions and clade sizes. Which are the most successful species in the very long run? Non-sexual reproduction is the winner in those terms. Our existence is a only a blink of the eye in the scheme of things, and our continuation no certainty, individually or globally. More complex does not necessarily mean better, universally speaking.

Self replication is inferior to genetic combination. The only reason it still exists is that every inch of the planet hasn't been destroyed completely. It's all in the numbers. Eventually, every environment will have an encounter wih obliteration at some point in time and over time these self replicating species will die off due to incompatiblity with its environment. However, if the species has had a mutation that helps its survival in a niche environment then it has a better chance of surviving in said environment. Sexes offer extra genetic diversity which increases chances of beneficial mutations or combinations thus making them more capable of continuation. Bacteria exist everywhere and reproduce rapidly, many self replicate but there are bacteria that sexually reproduce. The only way to eliminate self replication would be to eliminate bacteria and thus everything. Even if earth was shattered some bacteria can survive in space on comets and such. The survival of self replication can be accounted toward its sheer numbers, but in a changing environment, genetic diversity of species ensures differences that allow for survival in changing environments. intelligent complex life would have not be here if sexual replication and genetic diversity through this process didn't exist.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

reply to post by KilgoreTrout

funny. you think its ok to believe a bit , just in case , the story might be true. sorta like hedging your bets.

So your saying that I'm not allowed to use stories contained within the bible as a moral guideline unless I blindly believe it all. You don't understand the ignorance in this mindset? Just in case what? You don't think that if there was a god he might want to throw out a test to see who is truly worthy to be called intelligent and worthy of ascension. You wouldn't blindly follow me off a cliff if I offered you a steak dinner when we hit the ground would you?
edit on 26-8-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Christianity: One woman's lie about having an affair that got seriously out of hand.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

its not about something being black or white?

its about having faith. if you question some of the stories, you don't have faith. when you have faith or reach a point of belief, nothing matters anymore, you just accpet it all.you cannot have a bit of faith. it is because it is. when you still have questions you are lacking in faith, but dont worry, jesus will forgive you, he is waiting for you.

That sounds terribly black and white to me.

Blind, unquestioning faith doesn't sound even remotely Jesus-y to me. I doubt he'd approve.

I agree, if Jesus were here today, he would probably be what most people call a "hippie".

have you read the whole bible much? just curious.

I grew up in a very religious home, went to church evey Sunday, I've read quite a large portion of the bible. My favorite books......

Ezekial and revelations

Just having read it doesn't mean you understand it. Have you ever heard of the denominations of Christianity. These differences are attributed to disagreements in translations and meanings. So, ill let you choose your book and understand it he way you want to while I continue to look at each book separately and understand that a person combined them to suit his/her interests. It's called tolerance, learn it. My mind works in a logical way, those that follow anything blindly, their mind just doesn't work. Don't take things at face value. Read, interpret, understand but have tolerance for altered interpretations and understanding. I like to look at things and say "hey, is his really the way I think this subject should be looked at?" And "you know, I don't have a problem with that guys interpretation but it just doesn't sound right to me". Also "what might this book have been explaining thousands of years ago when it was written".

It's called perspective, learn to view the world from more than just your own perspective, have respect for the perspective of others. Religions cause blind misunderstanding which leads to intolerance and war.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm I've read quite a large portion of the bible. My favorite books......

Just having read it doesn't mean you understand it.

Thats one of the funniest things I have read on this site. You have read a large portion if it?
Its really not a huge mass of work.

Just having read it doesn't mean you understand it ??? Its a bloody start though.

I really don't think you understand what the bible is and what's its purpose is. You don't seem to understand the concept of faith either.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm I've read quite a large portion of the bible. My favorite books......

Just having read it doesn't mean you understand it.

Thats one of the funniest things I have read on this site. You have read a large portion if it?
Its really not a huge mass of work.

Just having read it doesn't mean you understand it ??? Its a bloody start though.

I really don't think you understand what the bible is and what's its purpose is. You don't seem to understand the concept of faith either.

I understand the concept of faith, I just realize its irrelevance.

Not a huge mass of work? I didn't say anything about its length, I said a read much of it. I have also read much of hop on POP by Dr. Suess. I've read a large portion or the harry potter books. Having read a large potion of something has nothing to do with its length, everything is composed of 100% of itself regardless of size.

Your post is a great example of the intelligence behind blind acceptance.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Nvm, mixed ids on first page.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Your post is a great example of the intelligence behind blind acceptance.

I would be grateful if you could explain this coment. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
You don't seem to understand that having read a large portion of something does not require a large amount of work. I'm just showing that this kind of simple misunderstanding of reading a large potion of something clearly represents an intelligence level. I've never met someone who thinks logically that blindly follows anything. How can you expect to understand what you read when you clearly don't understand the concept of portions.

You do realize that questioning the books of the bible is how its modification to its current contents has occurred. Maybe god is guiding those of us who question it to correct its fallacies. Things change overtime and any god would account for that in a document such as this.

There was a discussion a while back about the infallibility of the bible simply because the bible says it is infallible, however, this thread op did not understand the way the bible has changed over time. So, at what point in time was it correct, which version. Can a god not account for cultural, scientific, and social changes by guiding the proper questioning of the books contained within.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The real miracle conception:
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
The real miracle conception:
abcnews.go.com...

Wow, that is impressive, at first read of the itle I expected a story about a knife that was used in a knife fight and just happened to have sperm on it. Haha. Very interesting.

This story does support the survival possibility of sperm in water that could make its way into a woman and cause pregnancy.

I dont like the way so many people simply discredit an idea because of improbability. Improbability does not imply impossibility.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I think your hypothesis fails for several reasons. The main one is your idea of female anatomy. Where on Earth have you got these notions from?! The vagina isn't like a coastal cave with the tide sloshing in and out; it isn't 'open all seasons' and sucking up whatever comes near. After going to the beach, a woman isn't going to be finding sand or sweet wrappers have somehow gotten lodged away...although sand does seem to get everywhere.

There's also a reason for lubrication under arousal as it helps sperm touch base; sitting in a pool was less stimulating, in that sense, than for our hypothetically excitable man. The chances of sperm entering a vagina by the method you suggest is likely impossible.

Another biological likelihood is that the semen containing the sperm would be diluted away in the water and leave the sperm dead. Secondly, sperm only thrives in neutral Ph fluid so if the water was anything but neutral, it'd be dead again.

Also, if you're thinking about the toilet seat, it's another non-starter!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Can a god not account for cultural, scientific, and social changes by guiding the proper questioning of the books contained within.

Cool, yeah, I guess. A god that kinda changes with your views. That would be nice.

You can take the bible whatever way you want but like i said already you dont understand what it is and what its purpose is.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
And to think that if she just would of swallowed, we would be talking about all this crap !!! lol

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Hi
It is extremely unlikely that the Virgin Mary or any other woman could get pregnant in a public bath house without having sex.
1. It is very unlikely that sperm could survive in water unless the water was around 37 degrees celsius.
2. It is unlikely there were mixed bath houses in Nazareth at the time of his birth for cultural and social reasons though I stand to be corrected.
3. Its quite a strange idea that there may of been men in the mixed bath houses masturbating.
4. As has been mentioned by others unless Mary was sexually aroused the sperm would not be able to get deep enough into the vagina to fertilize an egg.

Are you suggesting that God put some sperm into a bath that Mary was having and that is how she got pregnant?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Nah she was inseminated by an alien visitor she thought was an angel. The hymen was never broken and her hybrid son was eventually born.

Can't believe you didn't know that

Yep! That is the way I see it too. Not only that, but [Jesus,] not his name at all, was not the only one sent here to teach humanity how to live. There were many others. Jesus and Muhammad were just the only two that people made into gods and formed book religions around. The rest of the teacher's students listened to them, and took what they said to heart.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I've come up with my own theory.

I'm pretty sure it was man parts that got her pregnant.

Yep.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ok hands up how many on this thread are women..
I'm not trying to be sexist, I'm just wondering how some folks can be so wide off the mark about the process of conception.
You only have to look at any forum given over to women who aspire to have children to be given a wealth of knowledge on how small any women's chances are of conceiving, even young women without any known fertility problems. Even throwing the dwindling statistics regarding age away, it's about 20% chance.
A woman's egg once released only lives between 12 - 24 hours that's if the woman ovulates at all ( It's known that even for perfectly healthy women that some months sometimes they don't)
Sperm on the other hand, whilst they can live from 3 - 5 days (The boy sperm faster but shorter lived than female) They need to be in the ideal position i.e the vagina for those of us here slightly confused.
Once the egg has been released it makes its way down the Fallopian tube, the optimal time to have sex therefore is the 5 days preceding ovulation in order to catch the egg before it's on its last legs of course theres always the chance then of an ectopic pregnancy.
Cervical mucus plays a huge role in all this...Regardless of amorous jollity the cervix changes the make up and thickness of it's mucus over the month. During ovulation you will find an egg white cm, see through and stretchy which helps your little soldiers know which way they are supposed to swim in that black warm snuggly fun tube we call the vagina...I repeat IN the vagina...

Even if the Blessed virgin was involved in some riotous gangbang within a public bath it's highly unlikely she would conceive unless deeply penetrated (Good Lord I feel dirty and guilty even typing it and I'm not religious) at the point of ejaculation. As sperm just floating hopelessly around the water would carry on doing just that and even a shallow ejaculate would most likely achieve the same wasted spermy fate.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join