It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the biggest rock ever? Astronomers discover planet made of DIAMONDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The Bling is out there.A entire planet made of diamonds has been discovered.Imagine if we could get there to mine it. Mind you would have to invent a machine that could bend time and space to get there because of the vast distance. Begs the question are there other gem or solid gold planets out there.

It is certainly what you could call a gem of a discovery.

Astronomers believe they have found an entire planet made of diamonds.

Scientists at the University of Manchester think they have unearthed a once-massive star in the Milky Way that has been transformed into a small planet made of the precious rock.The international research team first detected an unusual star, called a pulsar, and followed up their discovery with research using a telescope based in an observatory in Cheshire.

The findings led the scientists to discover the gravitational pull of a small companion planet orbiting the pulsar.

Pulsars are small spinning stars more than ten miles in diameter – the size of a small city – that emit a beam of radio waves.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 26-8-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

star and flag!

if there was a planet made of gold or diamonds and we could get there and back, the value of gold and diamonds would drop. the company that mines these planets would continue to make the precious items scarce in order to make the most profit.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Neat discovery! I suppose the cynical side of me did think about the fact that if altruism, science, discovery and advancement aren't enough to continue fueling space exploration - profit would be -

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Existing discussion going on here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
That's just cool!

Always wondered if the earth could be the remains of a star- maybe that's how we got the theorized molten core? Maybe we're just burning out, and all the mantle and crust is, is various cooling rock sediments- getting thicker and cooling more every day...

I dunno. Crazy me. *shrug*

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
All ready posted

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Im sure its still not enough diamond for some woman ;p
Second Line

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

If a diamond as big as a planet were accessible to human beings, diamonds would cost less than rhinestones.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Diamonds (the clear ones we're familiar with) are nothing more than shiny rocks like any other gemstone and really have little more value than any other rock that we'd consider to have less worth. It does have good industrial value for cutting due to its superior hardness but that's about it. The artificial value placed on diamonds is just some clever marketing by the dutch corporation (DeBeers I believe) and they maintain the price by advertising to increase the appeal factor (eg 'diamonds are a girl's best friend') and controlling the supply. Discovering a massive supply of diamond they couldn't control would collapse the value down to something like that of glass marbles or, at least, cubic zirconia which is almost indistinguishable from genuine diamond.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

Sorry was in a rush this morning and thought I had the scoop. Had to hit and run as was on way to work. My apologies and please contribute to existing thread thank you.

new topics

top topics

join