It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Paradox of 'Black' 'Holes'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What kind of name is that? You think my brain cells are made of the same stuff you find on the floor of a KFC?

Black, yet the event horizon of such an object is the zone of absolute matter breakdown, i.e. electromagnetic Radiation production, i.e. light.

Hole, what, because a point in space that can be denser than our entire galaxy is.. the same as a void, nothingness in said object?

I got out of third grade along time ago, Scientists.

Time for a new name please. I am not a child that can be easily drawn into catch phrases and pretty pictures.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
collapsar?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
You may not be, but 75% of the rest of the population cannot handle such complicated thinking. Just calling them "black holes" saves them a lot of trouble.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Photon-negating Void.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BornParadox
What kind of name is that? You think my brain cells are made of the same stuff you find on the floor of a KFC?

Black, yet the event horizon of such an object is the zone of absolute matter breakdown, i.e. electromagnetic Radiation production, i.e. light.

Hole, what, because a point in space that can be denser than our entire galaxy is.. the same as a void, nothingness in said object?

Time for a new name please. I am not a child that can be easily drawn into catch phrases and pretty pictures.

They are "black" because they absorb light and it cannot be emitted (usually). Dark/black things have similar properties. Most black holes cannot be seen. Only their gravitational "hole" can be observed. As for nothing being produced by black holes, look up black hole decay (this happens at the event horizon). The only way they can decay is by creating new particles

As for "holes" that is describing the 3d model we use to depict these masses. It is a gravitational well caused by mass. It is a gravitational hole that is so strong it stops light. It is a "hole" in space/magnetism/time. These are all related. A void is the exact opposite of a black hole (infinitely dense versus infinitely empty). The areas around it may be a void, but the black hole itself is a very dense, very real object. We just cannot observe it at this point because of the whole light problem. That doesn't mean our race cannot eventually see into a black hole or come up with a better term to describe them when we finally understand them better. They have been found, but they have been found less than 100 years ago. Progress is slow. We will get here...chill.

As for void...I understand your confusion. It is a void to a sense because nothing escapes it. But it is real and it has mass. It is not a vacuum.

It really is a great term for it at this point. I don't think either of us could come up with a better term. Would it help you if they were called deathstars? IDK. Jeez. It is a term that stuck to describe a very important phenomena that is not fully understood yet.
edit on 26-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BornParadox

How bout "Singularity?"

MAN IM GOOD!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Space thingy. Or maybe Space Vacuum Cleaner.

Paragraph

Cheers

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BornParadox

They are black because they swallow light.

They are holes because things fall into them.

Third grade wants you back.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I like the term star seed or star engine. Black holes just sit there collecting energy and matter. What happens when they are full and cannot accept any more, they switch on and a star is born. Just a theory.

Black holes are apparently made when a very large star reaches the end of its energy stores and what is remains after a supernova explosion. I see them as star engines that cycle on and off over the ages. It is quite possible that they also grow bigger over the generations, from neutron stars to black holes and eventually galactic cores.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

lmao.. that cracked me up.

I hear you man, I've seen the moving pictures ;] It's just that 'statistical improbabilities' would be a better name.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
heh,

...in late 1967, Wheeler introduced a new name, first at a conference in New York and later in a lecture to the American Association for the Advancement of Science: black hole. "I decided to be casual about the term," Wheeler wrote in his 1998 autobiography, "dropping it into the lecture and the written version as if it were an old familiar friend. Would it catch on? Indeed it did. By now every schoolchild has heard the term. Richard Feynman, when he heard the term, chided me. In his mind, it was suggestive. He accused me of being naughty."

blackholes.stardate.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
if in doubt, call it Bob

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have noticed that many times our more discriptive names seem too simplistic after we get accustom to using them.

I had saved this vid clip:

www.linktv.org...

and thought this would be a good place to share it.

Hope it brings a smile to your day.
edit on 26-8-2011 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My bathtub drain has an event horizon and the water moves clock-wise. If it was bigger, I could be sucked down to the bottom of the drain pipe.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well it is not the only case in cosmology.
Big bang, dark matter...
we still need simple words to explain things that are a little complicated.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BornParadox

I don't mind the term "black hole" myself, it sounds like something dark, foreboding, mysterious yet somehow always bekoning at the same time.

What I am concerned about, is the black hole in the center of our Milky Way galaxy. The scientific writers of books will be thrown into redundancy, every time they have to write about the "black hole in the center of our galaxy."

Therefore, to avoid redundancy, we should give the - Black hole in the center of our galaxy- a name, or a name and number.

I nominate: BH-999

BH - as in Black Hole

999 - As the symbol of the apocalypse

edit on 5-9-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

edit on 5-9-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

The black hole at the center of spiral galaxies are super massive black holes, they get a super moniker for their super duper deity.

I thought this thread would be more than syntactic terms.

(If you read this post real fast it could sound religious).

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

How bout "Singularity?"

Ahh, but that's more of a "part" of a black hole, isn't it? Kind of like the event horizon.

top topics

join