It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane /Disaster Preparedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
With Irene heading up the coast I thought it may be beneficial to discuss what people should have on hand.
Several days of water and canned goods, peanut butter, crackers, etc come in handy, soups, charcoal or other fuel if you can cook outside, batteries, lanterns and fuel, lighters or matches.

Before the storm hits fill any prescriptions so you have extras of you can. If you have to evacuate take your medicines, or a list of them at least if you have to leave in a hurry. Have a bag packed in case you need to leave suddenly with some food, water, change of clothes, toiletries, jacket or sweater and blanket don't forget to bring phone numbers with you. Charge cell phones and do what you can to preserve battery. Text often works when the phone won't. Have batteries in a battery operated radio.&

Fill your tub and pots with water as you may need it to drink, bathe or flush the toilet.

Secure any loose items in your yard, board up or tape up windows. Prepare for any animals. Fill your car with gas. If told to evacuate do so early as the road will be a mess of traffic. Bring some cash with you and first aid items if you have them. Try to stay calm. Stay away from windows.

Here's a suggested list of supplies.

List of supplies

If you lose power keep freezer & refrigerator doors closed as much as possible to keep cold longer.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Here's a link with more to do items to prepare. A good tip from this list is to turn your freezer & refrigerator colder ahead of time to keep things cooler if you lose power.
Prepare

When the hurricane comes it is like a big circle
Of wind. Sometimes you will have severe weather for awhile then it will stop. At that time you may just be in the eye of the storm and the severe weather may start up again. Usually the area on the east side of the hurricane is affected the worst with higher winds and tornados. Stay in away from windows if at all possible.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Aside from supplies, it's also good to stay in contact with your neighbors and find out who has medical training and knows first aid and such; know where your emergency gas, water, and electrical shutoffs are; and most of all stay inside, and stay away from any down electrical wires. During the height of impact and the immediate aftermath, emergency crews may be very slow in responding, so you might be on your own for a while.

(Also, aside from high winds and heavy rain, there may be tornadoes, so anyone not familiar with tornado drills should read up on those.)
edit on 8/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
There is something I wanted to add for preparedness. Don't forget the 30-50 gallon reserve of clean, potable water almost everyone has in their water heater. I recall the period AFTER Katrina was when Media thought to mention that. Well after, as I recall. It's sure not a Plan A but an important plan B.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
That's some great ideas! Thanks for adding.

Water can become vital if the water supply becomes contaminated for some reason or pumps are not working.
The water in the water heater can add a number of gallons to what you have available.

Downed power lines can be extremely dangerous and need to be avoided and everyone should know where their shutoffs are for their utilities.

I am very glad to see the hurricane is slowing down and has been downgraded to a category 2. However it can still do quite a lot of damage as can a Tropical Storm. Please don't think you can take it easy if this storm is headed your way!

top topics

join