It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Die While Dreaming,Would You Awaken Within That Dream Alive?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Very interesting theory. I've thought about that some myself. I would love to know the answer to that. Kinda like the Matrix situation. lol Hmmmm.......*ponders the theory*

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I've died a few times - just the other night i escaped someone through a door and found myself in a field in the middle of a battle. My sword skills sucked and i was run through with a broadsword. It was frustrating, confusing, a glitch in the matrix. After that it gets fuzzy, i was angry at being killed, but realised i was still around being angry at being killed. I think i was now a slightly different character, like dying in a video but having another life, though now the game and my mission had changed.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Curious thread. My grandfather recently died about 2 weeks ago from lung cancer. My dad was in the hospital with him for his last few days alive. Grandpa tells my dad the morning before he passes, "I'm going down there." and points to the ground. My dad says "What? To hell? You're not going there dad, you're a good guy." and grandpa says "No, I'm going down there, I was there last night. I know I'm going there." He was very convinced that he had visited hell and had somehow confirmed that this is where he was being sent when he passed from earth. While my grandpa was starting to slip away and his breathing slowed down, he would reach to the air with one hand and repeat "Pull me up!"... nobody in the room thought he was speaking to them. Is it just the ramblings of an old man on his death bed? Perhaps. But I feel like maybe he did visit this other place in his dreams that he may or may not have actually gone. I didn't know him very well so I can't vouch for whether he was a good guy or not, nor am I the religious type. This thread just got me thinking about it is all. RIP grandpa.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I have a reoccurring dream at least once every few months. Reoccurring in the sense that it is the same place not scenario. This has been happening to me for at least 30 years.

I dream of the house that I built with my wife (now ex-wife) but it is bigger and better than the house we actually built. It has everything I could ever want or wanted.
The house is the same, same staircase, same rooms, same road, same hillside, same people (yes, even the ex-wife!), everything...but I view it from different angles depending on what the subject of the dream is about and who I am interacting with in the dream. Conversations are always different and people come and go.
I leave the house and move around my "town" even recognising the same streets and roads, hills, roadsigns etc.
I'm always happy there and the problems are always solved by the time I wake up. It feels like heaven.

I often wonder whether this is a glimpse of where I am going when I die because it feels so comfortable when I'm having this dream. I always feel refreshed when I awake.

edit on 27-8-2011 by The Ghost Who Walks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Did not read what you wrote. I am answering from the title alone.

To die while in a dream would be okay with me.

It is better then suffering in a veggie state or coma that has no awaken scale.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
Did not read what you wrote. I am answering from the title alone.

To die while in a dream would be okay with me.

It is better then suffering in a veggie state or coma that has no awaken scale.

I wonder how many people have related this thread to the matrix. That's my thought... I didn't read a single post. Go ahead and post your bias based on my post.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Wait, no. I'm sorry. This thread has nothing to do with the matrix, but to due with the concept of that movie called Repo Man. - The Rich get to die in a dream world.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The answer is very likely no: you wouldn't be alive in your dream if you died in your sleep. Your brain would cease to function and therefore your dream would cease altogether.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
this thread remind's me of this video...hahahaha

edit on 27-8-2011 by Noobastronomer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I personally don't believe that is possible.. at least for not any period of time.. like "living on" in the dream.

My personal belief is that when you die.. whatever you believe in as far as God.. heaven.. hell.. reincarnation.. nothing.. ultimately that is what your after death experience will be, as the brain can continue on for an extended period of time after you "die".. your brain is the last organ to shut down I should say. So say you believe as a Christian, and you believe you are saved or whatnot.. I believe that your mind will create that for you after you have died.. meaning that you will live our your vision of the afterlife as the brain shuts down. As this is your last experience.. it would seem as though it was an "eternity" before you went poof.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've had many dreams where I've been falling from a high height (cliff ect) or been in the process of drowining but I've never actually died even though i'm expecting to. I always wake up just before i hit the bottom or take my last breath.

I've always imagined that If i died in my dreams i wouldn't wake up. Nice question for a thread though.

EDIT: After re-reading the OP i've never thought about waking up in a dream if I die in it. Very curious though...
edit on 27/8/2011 by ukredstar because: Just re-read the OP's question, added to original response

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Interesting question and a very difficult one to theorize about, simply because we don't know what happens after death. I guess anything is possible. It would have to be a pretty sudden and painless death to completely lose yourself in your dream, while your physical body is dying. Personally from what I've read and experienced, I don't think that would be the case. You should read up on astral projection and the split mind effect.

The Nature of the Mind Split Effect
www.astraldynamics.com...

www.theartofastralprojection.com...

Horizon - What is reality - Is our reality being projected from somewhere else and do we live parallel lives.

Checkout Youtube for parts 2-6.

edit on 27-8-2011 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
well, guys, i have a news for you...
i experienced title of this thread
that is, i "almost died" (i was on edge og dying) for couple of times during sleep (dreaming) and once i think i "died" for a moment but manage to "came back"..those are experiences that changed my life. it hapend to me while i was sleeping and dreaming, due to breathing and hearth problems.
all that led me to believe that the soul (or something similar) really exists.
but
i cannot describe all in detalis, because English is not my first language, and it would be difficult to exaplin it on english.. but if u insist, i could spare some time to write it.

cheers
edit on 27-8-2011 by griswold because: (no reason given)

also,, i can say that u do not simply stay in your dream when u die, but there is a transition from dream to whatever it is.
edit on 27-8-2011 by griswold because: EDITED

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

About 20yrs ago i was living in Oman with my parents, i went for a afternoon sleep and dreamed that i had a Uzi in my hand, and for some unknown reason i turned the Uzi around and pulled the trigger aiming straight into my chest. I felt a short intense hot pain then a peaceful blackness envoloped me, a short while later i was in a place of utter serenity, peace and a feeling of belonging to some thing or someone.

I awoke sometime later with a complete rush full of excitement and tried to describe it to my father, but he just looked at me with a blank expression. I have never forgot this even now (i am 45 now) it was like a brief look into the next step that we will all take. Perhaps because of this and other wierd experiances i have had that i don't realy fear dying and when i hear people saying they don't believe in life after death, i feel abit sad for them and at the same time thinking they are in for a surprise .

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
reply to post by fooks

i have heard that the light is a trap, if you want to escape being a human being again, you must avoid it.

not sure what i think about that, i suppose ill have to figure it out if and when i see a light.

Yes, but the other option is no fun either, being trapped on Earth as a spirit, maybe there is an end to the cycle, but you have to go into the light to reach it, if you are not done learning then you must become a human being again, I hope it isn't a trap is there a third option besides light or earthbound spirit?
why do so many people feel that they "have" to go into the light? says who? those that have seen the tunnel of light "near death" to me are really only remembering their very first memory, that your brain is bringing out of your subconscious and into your consciousness upon the trauma of dying,the memory of traveling head first down through the birth canal and out "into the light" of the hospital delivery room!....

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula
[m

some say if you die in your dream you die in real life. not sure how true that is

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
reply to post by fooks

i have heard that the light is a trap, if you want to escape being a human being again, you must avoid it.

not sure what i think about that, i suppose ill have to figure it out if and when i see a light.

Yes, but the other option is no fun either, being trapped on Earth as a spirit, maybe there is an end to the cycle, but you have to go into the light to reach it, if you are not done learning then you must become a human being again, I hope it isn't a trap is there a third option besides light or earthbound spirit?
why do so many people feel that they "have" to go into the light? says who? those that have seen the tunnel of light "near death" to me are really only remembering their very first memory, that your brain is bringing out of your subconscious and into your consciousness upon the trauma of dying,the memory of traveling head first down through the birth canal and out "into the light" of the hospital delivery room!....
and how do we "see light" in our dreams anyways, when our eyes are closed? try closing them right now,what do you see? nothing! theres no light entering your eyes so you cant see anything, but while dreaming,with eyes closed,there is light...how? because your actually in another world,thats what i think...forum.davidicke.com...
edit on 27-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

If god created everything, who/what created god?

What was there, BEFORE the beginning of the universe?

What IS "nothing"?

Add your post to the above, and together you have a list that creates a reason to start and STOP using psychadelic drugs.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sumgai
reply to post by blocula

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

If god created everything, who/what created god?

What was there, BEFORE the beginning of the universe?

What IS "nothing"?

Add your post to the above, and together you have a list that creates a reason to start and STOP using psychadelic drugs.

there is still the sound of a tree hitting the ground...one hand cant clap,but it can slap...neither came first,a chicken evolved from something else...humanity created god...another universe...nothing is everything...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am not seeing what is original or profound about this question... Dreaming is a product of the brain, just as consciousness is. If you die, your consciousness ends. Why would your dreams not end? If you actually look at images of the brain when it enters R.E.M., you will see the parts of the brain lighting up that are responsible for your senses. When you dream, you are still confined to your worldly senses. A product of your conscious.

This does not necessarily contradict the idea of life after death. But the awareness YOU have right now is a product of the brain. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I would be quite upset if I "awoke" after death to find that I am still the same hyper evolved monkey enslaved to senses that only developed to perceive the immediate earthly world. I am more of the opinion that if there is a greater meaning to existence, then it is something so extraordinary we couldn't even begin to conceptualize it. Longing for an eternal existence of this life is ultimately a product of desire and the ego. (certainly not mutually exclusive)

I will leave a wonderful quote from a great science fiction series.

"I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull! With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air."

"I don’t want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to – I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly because I have to – I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I’m a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I’m trapped in this absurd body! "

-Brother Cavil

edit on 27-8-2011 by Tralfamador because: Redundant word

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join