It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Die While Dreaming,Would You Awaken Within That Dream Alive?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
I can only hope not...there are so many really bad dreams! One dream I have had many times I am wondering around in a twilight mountains with a group of scared people we are running and hiding, we find something a weird thing made of wood kinda half train rail shaped about 20 ft long with a big bow shape on the front on the ground in a small valley I am very scared and upset and I wake up.
What if i had to stay there !
you were there,either in the past,or in the future, from another life.or your soul traveled into that reality while you were dreaming.when the you in that reality falls asleep,you dream of this world...think about that.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I think its absolutely plausible. However, we may never find the answer to your theory.
second line.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
All right, here's the scoop on death in dreams. But first you have to understand how dreams work. Dreams form through archetypal chaining, an archetype being the sum total of association to any given topic. For instance a beach archetype would have associations such as sand, water, life guards, bikinis, ect. As long as you focus on one archetype, it will continue to manifest it's associations until one of those associations captures your attention, thus becoming the dominant archetype and manifesting it's associations. The process continues non stop during the dreaming process.

The more stable and well established an archetype, the more reliable it is. But some archetypes are not very well defined at all, such as death. Nobody really knows what happens when you die. If you steal in a dream, you could have a clear connection to breaking the law, which connects to police, which connects to jail, ect. But when you die, you personal schema draws a blank. To use a programming analogy, when a program call a function or file that doesn't exist, it returns an error and crashes the program. So too will you dream crash when you dream that you die and you don't have a well defined example of what comes next.

Of course this isn't always the case, and it is possible to have a death archetype defined on a personal level. This is especially true for those who overdoes on video games. The repetitive nature of video games will define your dying archetype, and you could use that so that your death mirrors what happens when you die in your favorite video game.

But for the most part, we really don't know what happens upon death, our subconscious kind of draws a blank, the dream destabilizes, and you wake up.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

No, I do have bad dreams....really scary, bad, I'm-gonna-die-now dreams. And yes, I seem to be more able to remember my dreams than most people. My dreams are in "living color", with senses of touch, smell, hearing, continuity of time, all that....

I know some people only have fragments of visions in wild colors....not me. It's like a different life that I live while asleep.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
All right, here's the scoop on death in dreams. But first you have to understand how dreams work. Dreams form through archetypal chaining, an archetype being the sum total of association to any given topic. For instance a beach archetype would have associations such as sand, water, life guards, bikinis, ect. As long as you focus on one archetype, it will continue to manifest it's associations until one of those associations captures your attention, thus becoming the dominant archetype and manifesting it's associations. The process continues non stop during the dreaming process.

The more stable and well established an archetype, the more reliable it is. But some archetypes are not very well defined at all, such as death. Nobody really knows what happens when you die. If you steal in a dream, you could have a clear connection to breaking the law, which connects to police, which connects to jail, ect. But when you die, you personal schema draws a blank. To use a programming analogy, when a program call a function or file that doesn't exist, it returns an error and crashes the program. So too will you dream crash when you dream that you die and you don't have a well defined example of what comes next.

Of course this isn't always the case, and it is possible to have a death archetype defined on a personal level. This is especially true for those who overdoes on video games. The repetitive nature of video games will define your dying archetype, and you could use that so that your death mirrors what happens when you die in your favorite video game.

But for the most part, we really don't know what happens upon death, our subconscious kind of draws a blank, the dream destabilizes, and you wake up.

how would you explain the three dreams that i had,which i described in detail above? one of which i was speaking fluent german. i dont know how to speak german...and in this hypothesis, i mean that you "actually die" while you are dreaming,like have a heart attack in your sleep or whatever "while" you are dreaming...i dont mean dying in a dream...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well I personally believe we exist in a dream world prior to birth, so yes, I believe we would return upon death...

The specific dream you were dreaming when you died "for real". Well I think that would defeat the purpose of what the dream world actually is... a collection of countless dreams.

If I believed that though, I would hire someone to wait by my bed with a shotgun waiting for my signal

I know this is not what you meant, but at first I though you meant die in the dream world. So I have a spin on your question, for everyone:

If you die in the dream world, do you awake within the dream world but into another dream story, or do you awake literally in your bed, or do you just resurrect in the same dream story? I honestly can't recall a time I died in a dream and didn't wake up from it
Interesting to me at least.
edit on 26-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Everytime I read this topic, I read it wrong.

I think you'd just continue to dream and dissolve until you become full conscious again, in another life, or at least tied in like a data connection - to someone else's life that you resonate with.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I think you'd just continue to dream and dissolve until you become full conscious again, in another life..

i like that idea, reminds me of this brilliant film about a guy having trouble waking up..

edit on 26/8/11 by mzungu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Interesting...My dreams are realistic to the point of indistinguishable to real life.
I have had several dreams in my life where die, I always float and remain aware after the death, it is always really terrifying but at the last moment before death I always feel ok with it.

I also have what feels more like a memory then any dream of my life before I was born last time, I remember 3 other lives and some pretty bad stuff in 2 of those one really nice lifetime.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
the words i say,things i do,places i visit and people i meet in this reality...are what i dream about within another reality...and the words i say,things i do,places i visit and people i met in the other reality...are what i dream about within this reality...we,our souls,the life force,may be like fractals,ever expanding within forever,traveling between endless dimensions and infinite worlds....[a quote from einstein > "the apparent seperation between past,present and future is an illusion"...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I'm no physician, but I don't think you can sleep through your own death. The term "dying in your sleep" seems to me to be a little deceptive. If your heart stops beating, wouldn't the symptoms of your death wake you? If you lose your air supply wouldn't you wake up in a panic trying to take a breath? Even if it's a painless process, I imagine that you'd briefly wake up only to die shortly after.

If you are dreaming as you are dying, wouldn't your brain start to relocate it's resources toward survival instead of continuing some dream? To continue the dream beyond your physical death is assuming that thought is independent of the brain and the physical realm.

I don't have a lot of evidence to draw from, but I have heard of people who died in their sleep right next to their mate. I imagine if they had struggled, the mate would have waken up and tried to help, etc. I thought it was common for a person to lose conciousness in the moments before death, even if they die in the middle of the day. In cases of extreme pain before death, it is said that the body blocks out the pain or you pass out if it becomes too much to bear. Either way, your body is releasing chemicals like '___' when you die which is more powerful than any drug on the street. I think there are a lot of reasons to think that this transition into death could occur in the sleep state, the dream state, or a more in between sort of loss of conciousness.

If it was all about a loss of physical exertion and a struggle to the end, everyone would die during the hectic daytime. But so many people die in the peaceful hours of night, when their body demands the least. I think if there is anyway to die that is painless, it would be in the dreamstate or at least sleep paralysis - where there is a physical disconnect between your body and your brain. And of course it is good news if it's true, because it means death doesn't have to be scary and you can be as concious of it as you want/prepare to be/are meant to be.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
so in effect,we die everytime we fall asleep...would a person even know they've died? or would they just effortlessly merge within an alternate reality? maybe sleeping in the other world is somehow connected to being awake in this world and vise versa and the transition between the two are inter-twined...
edit on 26-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I like how you've continued the thread as it went and I would say that on the spiritual level of that: that our spirit bodies will also have moments of rest, a sleep of sorts. One thing you might notice if you live a simple and healthy life, and attempt to be meditative and disciplined (though discipline may not be the right word/be misunderstood) you sleep not because you are tired. You sleep because it is a (necessary) bodily function. And you actually sleep best when you aren't tired. It's a natural bodily function that has nothing to do with being tired. A lot of people only do it when they are "tired," and that is sort of missing the point to do it that way.

Even people in peak condition, even marathon runners will fall to sleep when they are not the least bit tired, but because they are sleepy, and there is a difference. How much moreso in the spirit world, when we are in spirit bodies that can't really get tired anyway? There is still a purpose to that sleep, even if it's a cat or dog napping throughout the day.

So I don't really see being asleep here as being awake somewhere else, I see it as a function that follows through all existence, and means different things at different levels. I don't think reality is engineered to drag us along, and when we do X, we experience Y. And that there is a formula to the whole thing. Rather I see experience as a constant, and whatever mistakes in perception, and confusions we come to from our own dysfunction, shape what we make of the experience. Even to the positive, and often so.

edit: and when I reread what I wrote, I guess I could see how what we are doing here now, in the world, could be our spirits way of disconnecting with it's spirit body the same way the mind disconnects with the body when we dream. So we well could be doing that sort of thing you theorize. But when your body is relaxed and you are generally aware, dreaming is not that simple. It's more of a continuation of your prior awareness, and it just gets better and better as you continue it. The funny thing is that in this world you have to be doing a lot of things right to even be aware, and since you do it that way you end up healthy and lucid. So I don't understand how if we are spirts asleep and dreaming, why it seems so damn real and why it lasts so long. If that's what happening it should be like a dream you dream while in heaven, lighter and more carefree than anything you could imagine.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is a fascinating thing to think about! It doesn't really sound implausible to me, but then again I am most definitely a dreamer so to speak. I really feel like the dream world is an actual place that I visit when I sleep. I also know that many people believe that the dreams we dream actually create the terrain of our "afterlife" if I understand correctly. This scares and excites me. My nightmares are really scary, but other dreams are simply like paradise for lack of a more appropriate term.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
reply to post by blocula

I like how you've continued the thread as it went and I would say that on the spiritual level of that: that our spirit bodies will also have moments of rest, a sleep of sorts. One thing you might notice if you live a simple and healthy life, and attempt to be meditative and disciplined (though discipline may not be the right word/be misunderstood) you sleep not because you are tired. You sleep because it is a (necessary) bodily function. And you actually sleep best when you aren't tired. It's a natural bodily function that has nothing to do with being tired. A lot of people only do it when they are "tired," and that is sort of missing the point to do it that way.

Even people in peak condition, even marathon runners will fall to sleep when they are not the least bit tired, but because they are sleepy, and there is a difference. How much moreso in the spirit world, when we are in spirit bodies that can't really get tired anyway? There is still a purpose to that sleep, even if it's a cat or dog napping throughout the day.

So I don't really see being asleep here as being awake somewhere else, I see it as a function that follows through all existence, and means different things at different levels. I don't think reality is engineered to drag us along, and when we do X, we experience Y. And that there is a formula to the whole thing. Rather I see experience as a constant, and whatever mistakes in perception, and confusions we come to from our own dysfunction, shape what we make of the experience. Even to the positive, and often so.

edit: and when I reread what I wrote, I guess I could see how what we are doing here now, in the world, could be our spirits way of disconnecting with it's spirit body the same way the mind disconnects with the body when we dream. So we well could be doing that sort of thing you theorize. But when your body is relaxed and you are generally aware, dreaming is not that simple. It's more of a continuation of your prior awareness, and it just gets better and better as you continue it. The funny thing is that in this world you have to be doing a lot of things right to even be aware, and since you do it that way you end up healthy and lucid. So I don't understand how if we are spirts asleep and dreaming, why it seems so damn real and why it lasts so long. If that's what happening it should be like a dream you dream while in heaven, lighter and more carefree than anything you could imagine.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)
hi and thanx for your comments, its just like yawning,which has nothing to do with sleep,but what it actually is,is stretching our face muscles...and why do we sleep anyways,what is the real reason? no matter who you are,no matter how hard you resist,you will have to fall asleep...why? and the same thing happens to animals as well. are we being "plugged back into the matrix" ?!?!...i guess yawning is a little more complex and mysterious than i thought >>>en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 26-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Haha
yeah, I agree. It's funny when I am at work and someone yawns, it never fails SOMONE has to say, "hey you can't be doing that." You are going to make everyone else start yawning and we are going to have a mild disaster on our hands today. Like it's a crime to yawn. I've held for quite a while that yawning is a healthy thing to do.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
This is a fascinating thing to think about! It doesn't really sound implausible to me, but then again I am most definitely a dreamer so to speak. I really feel like the dream world is an actual place that I visit when I sleep. I also know that many people believe that the dreams we dream actually create the terrain of our "afterlife" if I understand correctly. This scares and excites me. My nightmares are really scary, but other dreams are simply like paradise for lack of a more appropriate term.
hi...theres good and bad surrounding us night and day in this world as well. check out the three "other life" dreams i have had that i described in the pages above. theres no doubt in my mind that i was,or still am, really there...the people in those dreams knew me and i knew them,theres sight and light,color and sound,all through these dreams...incredible!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I will check them out when I have some time to really read, I must log now. But first I wanted to say I have dreams like you do too it seems. I even recall one in particular that as I was waking up I was thinking that I need to come back there. I knew that the people there would like to see me again. ..... I haven't been back there again though. I look forward to the day.

Great topic. I love this stuff and knowing others feel/think the same about such things.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

If you die in your dreams youll most likely have a heart attack, alot of people will say they have died in their dreams but they are lying, like the split second before you die it goes to a different dream or you wake up.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I doubt it. Because I had died after being killed in one of my dreams. Being a lucid dreams. I'm aware and can feel anything in my dreams. This wasn't the only time I was killed. Of course I felt being killed by the individual but I know I didn't die as a result of the dream.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join