It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Die While Dreaming,Would You Awaken Within That Dream Alive?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Alot of people die in their sleep. It makes me wonder how often this happens. How often is REM sleep occuring when this happens? Part of me thinks it must happen fairly often. The body also releases '___' when we die so you can be pretty sure the brain is doing something when this happens, and there is a vivid experience taking place. I guess a quick way to research this would be to find out what hour people that die in their sleep usually die. Is it early in the night, or closer towards the morning? If its closer towards the morning it's more likely they were dreaming, as that's when the longest REM cycles occur. If it is early in the night, then a much smaller portion of their sleep had dreams. But I would say that once the body releases '___' while you are sleeping, you are going to also have some sort of experience.

Not a bad way to die. In the event that you die while in deep dreamless sleep, well you certainly aren't going to feel anything there either, and if you gain awareness there it is an amazing experience from what I have read.

I'd bet sometimes what happens is a person tries to wake up, because they know something is wrong. They want to wake up to get to their medicine or so they can fight. This could lead to a bad experience, because that's like trying to wake up from a nightmare that you can't wake up from. Maybe you succeed and you wake up and live, but the tricks to waking up from a dream is to close your eyes and let it happen basically. I do this at times when someone is calling or trying to wake me up, I panic and try to rush to wake up - it never works, it's unpleasant, and it makes me be drowsy and imbalanced for the next couple of hours. I'm trying to teach myself to stop trying to force myself to wake up and just let it happen, don't panic cause it does no good. (You can be very calm in a dream and the moment you "wake up" find your body ready to go and literally leap right out of bed, but not a moment before you have truly woken up)

Also, it is quite possible in dreams to be absent of pain even if your body hurts very bad. I experienced this one time I had a very nasty flu (I know it's just a flu but it was very painful for some reason). I went lucid in the dream and was simply astounded at how easy it was to breathe in the dream and how there was NO pain. I'm willing to bet that if your body is exhausted and in pain, it's MORE likely to be absent of pain in a dream (because that's what your mind is disconnecting from intentionally). Of course it is possible to experience pain in a dream, but more often than not, pain is not near as realistic and acute in a dream. It's not like Inception where the guy gets shot in the leg, well really Inception is not accurate at all when it comes to dreams, but a good movie.

Now if there is an afterlife and we go flying around as a spirit when we die, then I would expect the dream to slowly fade away and then you begin to experience the white tunnel or what is commonly told to us about NDE's.

I can't imagine a better way to die than to die in a dream. Your body can be aching all over and in a dream it's very possible and likely that you don't feel any of that pain. The pain of suffocation especially.

I think that if there is an afterlife, (and I do) it will be sort of dreamy. But I think it's above dreams. I think you could go back to "dreams" as a spirit and incarnate there, or "just visit" because while the realms will differ, it's not flesh and so a spirit could fit in quite well in these heavenly realms. You could go in and out of dream worlds and spiritual realms, the same way you could in theory fly from one planet to the other. But you could/would also enter different states, the same way we fall asleep and wake up now.

A lot of what I think the spiritual existence will be like is based on my dreams. I guess just experiencing a few possibilities makes it sort of make sense. Sort of how we take our life on earth for granted even though it seems scientifically impossible that anything exists, we certainly believe it. Once you feel and experience something you just believe it. I once dreamt that I visited my parents in their heavenly retirement cabin, in their afterlife. They were very happy and simple and wise. The people in this place went down to the river every day and sat on benches in the river with their feet in it, to "wash the dust" off their feet.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I've died in my dreams a time or two and what has happened is that I'd acknowledge it - like "Oh man they killed me" or "Oh man, I just died" and then another dream would start that would be totally different.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
reply to post by TrueAmerican

72 virgins would be stupid, I want 72 sluts that know what they are doing

Not me. I'd take the 72 virgins. Cause I figure I'd have the rest of eternity to train em how I want.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Maybe this life now is yust a preprogramed virtual reality - simulation that we choose ...

I watched a program on the TV once about our dream centre in the brain...they said that they found it....So if any of you remember your dream ...you dreamed a looong dream..many things happened to you...but this dreams you had, lasted just for about 5 seconds....SO it look to me like a highly compressed video

So now imagine that you could attach some kind of machine-simulator to this dream centre and run the simulation program...you could be attached to this simulation for just 1 hour and a few years passed in this virtual world....
What if this world you are living in now is just a simulation ? And when you die..you woke up somewhere...get a beer and go buy another simulation from the store....
Just crossed my mind a few times and I have to tell you this

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I have died many times in dreams.
In some I watched my body from above, with my family around it at my own funeral, and watched them bury me.
As far as I know, I am still alive!

well so you say, maybe we are all dead.

what can you really believe? stuck in the ATS hell, arguing about ron paul or reptiles, for eternity?

then you kinda die again someday without missing a beat.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by borutp

couple movies about that.

probably before your time.

kiffer sutherland and another movie with a big gold tape.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This thread is also useful to see how often people don't even read the OP, much less make an effort to understand the point of view and specific question. I'm not hating I'm just saying, and I've done it too, it's just so obvious in this one, LOL.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I don't think so and here's why:

Dreaming is a normal brain function. Dieing is not a normal brain function. I don't think you can have both occurring at the same time.

Dreaming could be a place existing outside of time, thus temporal logic and time goes out the window. What else could be beyond outside of time.... eternity!

In a timeless, space-less world, life and death doesn’t exist, however both exist in our temporal logic of space time awareness. I think you can have both.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I'm no physician, but I don't think you can sleep through your own death. The term "dying in your sleep" seems to me to be a little deceptive. If your heart stops beating, wouldn't the symptoms of your death wake you? If you lose your air supply wouldn't you wake up in a panic trying to take a breath? Even if it's a painless process, I imagine that you'd briefly wake up only to die shortly after.

If you are dreaming as you are dying, wouldn't your brain start to relocate it's resources toward survival instead of continuing some dream? To continue the dream beyond your physical death is assuming that thought is independent of the brain and the physical realm.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by l_e_cox

comm on, dude,

you think that dreaming is what the afterlife is?

it will be like if you were awake and passed.

you will go where you go.

dreaming is important to purge yourself of things.

work things out at another level.

this shouldn't get technical. it was an interesting question.

our souls may be able to travel through endless dimensions...a quote from einstein >>>"the apparent seperation between past,present and future is an illusion"...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisasterButton
My opinion:

If I were to die tonight in my sleep whilst in a dream, I believe the dream could in fact continue. I say this because time is non-existent in dreams. So in the last few moments of my life, I could live for a while in the "dream-world."

However, I understand that many people are saying that this is impossible which is nearly an outrage. If our mind can create a dreamscape that is so incredibly life-like, why is this concept impossible? Our realities seem real when we are "awake," much like a lucid dream.

Maybe you've got it all wrong and reality is like time - immeasurable.
hi...thanx for your comment,dreams could be when our souls escape the chains of time and travel through dimensions and within alternate realities...when i dream in this world,i'm awake in the other world...when i dream in the other world,i'm awake in this world...think about that!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I don't think so and here's why:

Dreaming is a normal brain function. Dieing is not a normal brain function. I don't think you can have both occurring at the same time.
well...we dont know what dreams really are,what we say they might be are only theories...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
that is something i have wondered about.

i believe everything is one entity, one life force, I AM, "God", the great tree of life and we are merely leaves on different branches.

what if everytime "i" go to sleep "i" wake up a new person and forget the dream before.
what if its always different every single time.
what if you live a billion trillion zillion lifetimes all over the universe and beyond before you finally wake up a day on some similar planet where things are somewhat similar to the last day you had on earth, and then when you fall asleep on that world you wake up here and you think how odd that dream was and how it dealt with all the things that happened yesterday.. lol

why not?

or better yet, what if the "dream" is just your "mind" interpreting all that you have learned from those trillion billion zillion lifetimes that would somehow apply to your present moment here in this one? but it stays mostly "subconscious"
its all about what happens behind the scenes in every "life", always that one entity learning from all his many dreams.
the physical reality is just the dream of the universe
edit on 26-8-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)
excellent comment...nice!...edgar cayce,the sleeping prophet,with over 15,000 in- trance readings! said that we experience past lives and future lives in our dreams and that the dead can visit us in our dreams...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
reply to post by fooks

i have heard that the light is a trap, if you want to escape being a human being again, you must avoid it.

not sure what i think about that, i suppose ill have to figure it out if and when i see a light.
yes thats what some say and believe,the light is a trick,lucifer is a being of light correct,venus, the morning star,the captured comet that thrashed our world,tilted earths axis and caused the flood...remember the movie poltergeist..."come into the light carol ann"...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I think if you're a complete Jerk in this life, you deserve to die in your nightmares
and then wake up in one. That is the law of Karma. What comes around, goes around.
edit on 26-8-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I have died many times in dreams.
In some I watched my body from above, with my family around it at my own funeral, and watched them bury me.
As far as I know, I am still alive!
this thread isn't about dying in a dream,its about dying while your dreaming...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

You know...that is very very interesting. And for me, personally..here is why. For the last year, I've had a really really "real" dream. I'm in this apartment with this other husband, and I have a job, and kids, and all my dream is showing me is this everyday life. My parents coming over for dinner, going shopping. Nothing in the dream is significant, except for the fact that when I wake up? I miss them..and my apartment. After a few minutes it fades, and I'm back to "reality" and everything is okay..the feeling of "missing" them is gone and my feelings of being disoriented are gone. The other strange thing with this dream, is I wake up, completely out of breath, with an obvious headache from receiving no air. I figured...sleep apnea..which is the most obvious conclusion. But it has seemed more odd, then other dreams I've had before, more real? Like, from before when I've had dreams, always somewhere in the dream (probably right around the parts where I'm about to wake up) I always sort of know that I'm dreaming, and when I wake up, I know immediately that I was in fact dreaming. But these dreams, when I'm in them, and when I wake up, I'm disoriented at first,....I feel like I'm really there, and when I wake up? I'm not sure where I'm at, until I turn over and see my "real" husband next me, lol. Its really weird.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by awareness10
I think if you're a complete Jerk in this life, you deserve to die in your nightmares
and then wake up in one. That is the law of Karma. What comes around, goes around.
edit on 26-8-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)
EXACTLY!!! i thought the same thing...
edit on 26-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

There is only the world which you are aware of.
You take the world with you.
Always take the weather with you.

youtu.be...
edit on 26-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nkinga
reply to post by blocula

You know...that is very very interesting. And for me, personally..here is why. For the last year, I've had a really really "real" dream. I'm in this apartment with this other husband, and I have a job, and kids, and all my dream is showing me is this everyday life. My parents coming over for dinner, going shopping. Nothing in the dream is significant, except for the fact that when I wake up? I miss them..and my apartment. After a few minutes it fades, and I'm back to "reality" and everything is okay..the feeling of "missing" them is gone and my feelings of being disoriented are gone. The other strange thing with this dream, is I wake up, completely out of breath, with an obvious headache from receiving no air. I figured...sleep apnea..which is the most obvious conclusion. But it has seemed more odd, then other dreams I've had before, more real? Like, from before when I've had dreams, always somewhere in the dream (probably right around the parts where I'm about to wake up) I always sort of know that I'm dreaming, and when I wake up, I know immediately that I was in fact dreaming. But these dreams, when I'm in them, and when I wake up, I'm disoriented at first,....I feel like I'm really there, and when I wake up? I'm not sure where I'm at, until I turn over and see my "real" husband next me, lol. Its really weird.
thanx for your comment...and when you "dream in that world" your dreaming about this world!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join