It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell hath no fury like Irene's scorn...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I was bored tonight on my iPhone when I came across a story that said Irene may kick up a few notches to a catagory 4 and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it could hit Manhattan and other major population centers. Pretty scary, huh. Then I started thinking to myself. What if HAARP or another device is juicing this baby up and moving her towards NYC? I'm not usually the kind of guy that believes in all these HAARP and weather changing devices but this did catch my attention now that September 11th (may the victims rest easy) draws near.
Now us in Chicago aren't worried about it but if you are a regular on this site as I am it kind of grabs your attention.
So let's say she hits a major population center or god forbid NYC, what would happen? Those skyscrapers aren't built to sustain catagory 4 winds. I don't even think they're built to sustain a cat. 2 but I'm no arcitect. So tell me ATS'ers what do you think would happen?
Is this just another natural disaster or something more and explain why since i'm not big on the idea of weather altering devices. Have a great night people.

P.S. I apologize for any misspelled words.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
An app on your iPhone is as credible as wikipedia. Anyone could make an app. Just saying

-And no i wasn't ignoring the rest of your post... i just didn't really have anything to add to it. As i find it.. silly

edit on 25-8-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CapSolo

I think it is just another storm, meh. I live in the gulf and we see these kind of thing every year it seems like. What freaks me out is all the damn earthquakes lately, it seems alittle much to be coincidence. BUT I am far from an earthquake science guy, what do I know

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CapSolo

It is an interesting storm, but there is a lot of data out there on storms just like this one. It happens a lot. I know when you think hurricane, you think Florida, but NY and the entire eastern seaboard is susceptible.

I also don't think DC/Virginia when I think earthquake, but it happens.

I just moved to Florida, so I am a little disappointed that this wont be my first hurricane...at least building codes are prepared for these things.

If it happens? Well it wont be the first time, and second it will be all the news talks about for a few days. Flooding, wind damage. I doubt anything will fall over.
edit on 25-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adraves
reply to post by CapSolo

I just moved to Florida, so I am a little disappointed that this wont be my first hurricane...

First, allow me to say I'm sad to hear you just moved to Florida. I've been here about 10 years and can't stand the place. Hope it's better for you than it's been for me.

Second, you should be glad that your first hurricane isn't a cat 4. If you'd have been here in 2004 when Charlie led the pack, you wouldn't be saying that. It isn't any fun. The best thing I did was purchase a house with natural gas for cooking and hot water. Having your power out for almost two weeks gets old really fast. At least with natural gas, you can cook and take hot showers.

Good luck in the retirement/tourist state!

Edit to Add: Florida may be getting another chance though. There's another one growing behind it. (Not the system due directly east of it. The one that's coming across the Atlantic from the African coast.)
www.weather.com...

edit on 25-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Well it's a CNN app so I kind of trust it. I'm not like most of those psyco's on here that blame stuff on Elenin or all that other bullcrap.
As for the hurricane, I was just looking at satillite records of past hurricanes in that area and it seems that this sort of event is not totally unusual but it's not a regular thing.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Originally posted by adraves
reply to post by CapSolo

I just moved to Florida, so I am a little disappointed that this wont be my first hurricane...

First, allow me to say I'm sad to hear you just moved to Florida. I've been here about 10 years and can't stand the place. Hope it's better for you than it's been for me.

Second, you should be glad that your first hurricane isn't a cat 4. If you'd have been here in 2004 when Charlie led the pack, you wouldn't be saying that. It isn't any fun. The best thing I did was purchase a house with natural gas for cooking and hot water. Having your power out for almost two weeks gets old really fast. At least with natural gas, you can cook and take hot showers.

Good luck in the retirement/tourist state!

Edit to Add: Florida may be getting another chance though. There's another one growing behind it. (Not the system due directly east of it. The one that's coming across the Atlantic from the African coast.)
www.weather.com...

Well I never said I like the area. We are going to move within 5 years. Yeah...this place is crazy. I went from a fmaily town of 9000 in WI to Tampa. I thought Chicago was bad! No one gives a crap down here. Grrrr. More the reason for a darn hurricane. Screw this place.

As for the hurricane I am from WI! I am used to long treks camping (2 weeks plus) and have all the supplies for it. I have stoves that run on any white petroleum product known to man (white gas, kerosine, butane, propane, unleaded gas, deisel, etc), extra water, water purifiers that last 12000+gallons aka years, shovels, radios, 2200 lumen flashlights, battery backups on top of battery backups, everything! I didn't screw around in WI and I didn't when I moved here. I think it would be fun to go through it. I told my fiancee that once we go through it we should move to cali and experience an earthquake then go home....ahh....dreams.

I have more than enough supplies for two weeks. I just think it would be good for my relationship. It would be like camping in our own home. Get away from the net and tv. I am prepared, so it wouldn't be life threatening.

One can dream...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I'm glad you're prepared if the power is out and I'm glad you're able to look at experiencing a hurricane as a positive thing between you and your loved one, but I think you need to pull your head out of the clouds.

A few questions for you:
1. Are there any large trees near your home?
2. Do you know the difference between a live oak and a water oak?
3. Have you ever experienced a tornado?

You said that a hurricane wouldn't be a life threatening experience. YOU'RE DEAD WRONG!
As I said in my earlier post, I rode through all four hurricanes in 2004. I stayed in my home alone. It was fun during the daytime when you could see what was going on outside, but during the night was different. Tornadoes sound like freight trains and so do hurricane winds. When you're sitting in the dark with only your candles and hear the wind howling outside, all you can do is hope that you're not hearing the sound of a tornado getting ready to bear down on your home.

Live oaks have deep roots. Water oaks have shallow roots. Even during a cat 1, the winds can uproot and push over a water oak easily. If you have water oaks on your property, I'd have them removed ASAP.

I hope you truly think things through and realize that a cat 4 is nothing to take lightly. Actually no hurricane should be taken lightly. We're getting into the busy season and you should survey your property for any trees or large limbs that may come crashing through your roof. I may have missed it, but you didn't say you had a weather radio. If you don't, get one today. It will be the only thing that can alert you to a possible tornado in the dead of night.

Stay safe and best wishes to you.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Very well thought out response, thank you. Yes, I know they can be deadly. I still want to experience it in my life time. I know that notion is a little crazy, but there it is. As for a weather radio, yes I have one (a hand crank), but no, it is back in WI. Darn. If another hurricane comes this way I will have to buy another one.

The property were are on has no Oaks at all. We are in a rental space right now, and it was built within the last 5 years. Also, we are at least 30 miles inland. We are not in a flood/evacuation zone either (luckily....less than a mile away is however b/c of a river).

Anyways. I still want to go through it...bragging rights and all that.

top topics

join