It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smooth Jazz to ease your mind in these trying times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I know most of us come to ATS to try make sense of it all and see what's around the corner. That can be taxing on the mind at times, and we all could use a break from all of the stress to sit back, unwind, relax and listen to some good music.

I present to you Kei's Song by Jazz pianist David Benoit. The beginning the song starts off kind of elevator music like, but then it gets real smooth and mellow and relaxes you.

So sit back, free your mind, and unwind.

edit on 25-8-2011 by majesticgent because: I don't know what I typed at first

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Nice, although smooth jazz, I do not think David's talent allows him to be ushered into that dustbin. Look at Watermellon Man by him.

Anyway, as a longtime DJ I will see you a David Benoit and raise you a Black Diamond by the Rippingtons, eh?

Your turn... I like this game. Last one to the Pat Metheny Band is a rotten egg!
edit on 25-8-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

You are correct, David Benoit is an awesome multi-faceted composer and musician! Smooth jazz is just one of the many flavors of music he presents to us.

I like that song Black Diamond that you posted. I've never heard it before and now I have another classic I can add to my collection. I'm still rather "new" to the jazz scene, so there is so much out there to listen to and appreciate.

So you raised me Black Diamond, I'll see your Black Diamond and counter with Walk In The Night by Kaori Kobayashi

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Cool, thought you had given up, let's keep it going. Gonna U2U ya after I post. I got a lot if you are interested.

Fro the first one I kind of cheated. This is Memphis native Chris Botti, who is an excellent trumpet player. So excellent that Sting asked him to join his band. In this one Sting drops in, as he tends to do at Chris's concerts. The oddly seductive blonde in the front row is Stings wife Trudy.

This is another one where you get a better sense of Chris's playing. Sting and Trudy again.

This one is the one that got me interested in Jazz. KPLR Superstation in St. Louis used to have Saturday Afternoon At The Movies, and this song was the cutaway music for commercials and the intro. I used to watch just to hear this song. Took me years to figure out what it was and get it.

Your turn sir.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

majesticgent,

Explain to me how to put the link ot this thread in my signature would you?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena

majesticgent,

Explain to me how to put the link ot this thread in my signature would you?

I'm on my phone now, but when I get on my computer I'll respond back with some more.

For the links in the signature go to TOOLS+ then go to your signature and enter in (url=www.somesite.com)Some Site(/url). Just replace the parenthesis with brackets.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

cool thanks man

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

God damn you for being such a good drummer Damien.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Good tune, and good drummer

While we are on the subject of drummers, Heeeres Buddy Rich.

Was looking for Slo Funk by him, only found covers so far. Still looking though...

But to get back to the smooth jazz. Here is a band called Hiroshima. It is a band from America, whose parents or grandparents all were interned by the US after Pearl Harbor. This was their "hit" from their album, the song which got me interested in them.

I have to get back into being a DJ. Aaarghhh, I miss it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Okay, I laid down to take a nap and had a nightmare about "dead air", the DJ's worst nightmare! So I had to post another one.

This is Larry Carlton, and if I remember right - may be wrong - he was the guitar player for Steely Dan. Interestingly enough Chevy Chase was also their first piano player, before he got into comedy.

Larry can play...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ok I'm going to veer out of smooth jazz for a sec here. This stuff is still pretty smooth but perhaps a bit more chaotic than what you are looking for.

Another of my favorite drummers.

The horns in this song scare the crap out of me. Sooo good though.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Not a great quality vid. Great performance though.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Here are a couple by Euge Groove. For the longest time I was looking for Huge Groove. Well, that's what it sounded like on when they said it on the radio.

and the one that got me interested;

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Then there is the voice...

This might not be strictly jazz, but she raps the hep scat and caused me to fall in love with her. She's gotten quite heavy recently and her band quality has suffered, but in her day she was the queen of cool. Not since Billie Holiday...

and one more time;

Sorry about the vid quality, but it was 79 and 84 respectively.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Can't go wrong with Grover Washington Jr.:

The Brothers Johnson are good if you like it spiked with FONK!

Or Brian Simpson:

top topics

join