It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gryffy's CPR topic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ok guys and gals...time for some basic first aid training from ur resident psyco medic...gryffy!! lol

What i am planning on doing with ur approval is basic easy steps of CPR and Heimlich Manouvers and any other important Basic First Aid training. I know many will probably know this but this is for those who may want a fresh update of sorts ok.

List of Agendas

1: Basic First Aid kit
2: CPR
3: Heimlich Manouver
4: Poisons
5 Eletrical Shock

Im planning on doing 2 areas per post with graphics and links to help provide you with more information and probably better spelling etc lol

ok...but now....lets go through the Basic First Aid kit everyone SHOULD store in there house and Car etc.

Basic First Aid Kit Supplies

ok...from clockwise

1: 2 x bandages...preferbly guaze and elastic
2: Cleaning wipes for small abrassions or hands
3: a type of antibacterial cream/spray like Savlon or TCP etc
4: A set of gloves...preferbly powdered Latex..available from pharmacies
5: Scissors...u get metal ones or childsafe ones
6: Tweezers for removing stings and other foreign objects in body
7: Plasters...preferbly fibre ones and breathable
8: Assorted sizes of wound dressings...Meopore has sticky around in Melonin hasnt.
9: Micropore or wound dressing tape
10: Tampax...great for bad nosebleeds...seriously!
11: First Aid Guide.

It can also be advisable to regulary check and rotate stock for emergency use.

All these i am sure you will use at least 1000 times in your lifetime...but you all know how accidents can happen and how advisable it is to keep storing these boxes up on a monthly basis.

You can normally spend anything between �10-50 on diffrent first aid boxes, depends on supplier of items inside an where u get it.

OK...now...CPR!!

As well all know...or hopefully know...CPR stands for...yes...thats right..Cardio-Pulumonary Resusitation...lets take a wee look at the ABC of CPR is.

Imagine ur walking down the beach one day, happy as larry and singing a song while watchin the kids play in the sea...all of a sudden u see a man lying on the beach, not moving and obviously unconcious. You run over and turn him over, he isnt breathing and u havent got a slight clue of what to do.

1st: Check his Pulse

Do this by placing ur two fingers on the left hand side of his neck, just where the shoulder meets the neck...feel for a thumping...if you can feel it...good...if not...you need to move fast...you also need to get one of ur kids to run for help fast or call from a mobile or near phone *999*

2nd: Check his Breathing

Best way to do this is by puttin ur ear to his mouth and watching for movement of his chest...signaling his breathing is ok...if not...you now have to proceed to full CPR measures.

3rd: CPR

Hopefully you are calm...u need to be to be able to help anyone your treating.

Make sure the man/woman is flat on there backs and that they have no objects near them. Since were pretending your doing this by yourself, you have to follow this list to the letter ok.

1: Make sure there mouth is clear from obstruction...check for false teeth or there tounge...move both to clear area if needed.

2: feel for there rib cage...in the middle is the Sternum...hard thing between ur breasts..at the bottom of that about an inch down..is where u have to cup ur hands over each other and use them to apply steady pressure in pushin motions.

k..now....time to supply oxygen to the person...you take a deep breath in using ur mouth to cover his...blow it in to him two times to make it a whole breath.

4: after the two breaths...find that mark below his sternum and push down and up his chest...makin sure u dont cause injury to him. do this 5x for every 2 breaths.

5: You must do steps 2-4 twice before you can check for his pulse again...if still no pulse continue doing CPR until help arrives.

6: If the man stirs and groans...he is alive...give him another breath and compression and he should regain conciousness and begin to throw up water.

7: To make sure he doesnt swallow the water again...move his left leg up so his knee is bent...fold his left arm onto his chest and roll him so he is in the recovery position.

8: Keep him calm and secure...talk to him and reassure him help is on the way...BY NO MEANS DO YOU REPLACE FALSE TEETH OR GIVE HIM FOOD OR WATER!!

9: When help arrives...give full details and continue on with activities unless services need to know details.

images

steps 2-4 are from clockwise.

Related Links

www.openseason.com...

Well guys...hoped this helps anyone who is wanting to learn CPR or just a refresher..

cheers
gryff

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Gryff, you are such a dear. I passed the first adi kit part, hands down. I even have anitbacaterial ointment and hydrogen peroxide that aren't expired dates.

I want to thank your for explaining CPR step-by-step. I think I'm gonna print it out for muself....although I hope I never have to use it.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Great Post! (are you a medic for real?) That was concise and informative. I have been a BLS instructor in the past and that was a great lesson you just gave!

Two things I would add:
Over the counter meds: Tylenol, asparin (for heart attacks) and benadryl (for alergic reactions) (If you have kids childrens versions would be handy too!)
If you can get your doc to write you a script for one an Epi pen is even better for allergic reactions

Latex Gloves: alot of people are allergic and the allergy is primarily from cumulative expose. latex powder is the worst. I would recoment non latex gloves like Nitril.

FredT, RN, BSN, RNTS (Pediatric Critical Care Transport Nurse Extraodinare)

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Gryff, you missed the most important first step!

DANGER!

Always check for Danger before attempting any sort of assistance or resuscitation. You might come across someone lying in a pool of water who has been electrocuted. You will have to find a way to shut down the current before attempting a rescue.

Always check for and deal with any danger present before attempting rescues or resuscitation. Otherwise the next poor guy to walk along has to try and rescue/resuscitate 2 people.

In Aus we teach a different order to what Gryff posted.

We go D-R-A-B-C

Danger
Response
Airways
Breathing
Circulation

PDF explaining the RLSSA method here.

I use to teach this myself a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
fair comment...yes i did Kano...yeah guys...always make sure yourself is safe from danger before attempting BLS *basic life support* or first aid.

Fred...yeah...army medic...my first aid kit is like...100x bigger than the one in the pic but went for basics for everyone.

Gloves...yes Nitril *they are normally coloured...purple is common over here* or even some sort of non powdered?

Epi pen is a epinephrine..or adreneline to us lot in the UK...basically u jam it in the heart if u need to...anyone seen The Rock with nicholas cage...the Injectors are full of the stuff.

Also forgot to add...Mouth Sheilds....very important...you should be able to get them via pharmacies or specalist companies...they guard your mouth from diseases such as types of herpies and HIV..Hepatitis and assorted others....also stops u gettin any vomit they throw up into your mouth.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nice information Gryffen have to make sure my mums med box is upto scratch nice to know what todo when your in that kind of situation.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Fred...yeah...army medic...my first aid kit is like...100x bigger than the one in the pic but went for basics for everyone.
Gloves...yes Nitril *they are normally coloured...purple is common over here* or even some sort of non powdered

Yeah, my medical kit is really overkill too. From Chest tubes, Fibreoptic larygoscope blades, full set of code drugs, albumen, lots o Atropine for chemical attacks etc etc

Yea we have the Purple Barney Gloves over here too! Small world eh?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
my basic kit includes

5 IVs
Field dressings
micropore *about a ductape roll of the damn stuff*
Code drugs and assorted other controlled drugs including andreneline etc
Basic first aid kit
Compression padels...defib wand
assorted basic plasters and bandages..wound dressings.
Oxygen tank...contains about a litre and assorted wires.
Cardio monitor...BP..BM and stethescope.

I love those barny gloves lol

also have sugar sweets for those who need energy boosts and Rehydrating powder for liquid consumption.

also crap load of other stuff.

all in total my medical kit weighs about 3-4 stone.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Great post Gryffen and very informative

if possible could you add information regarding burns to the list, like 3rd degree burns etc

i did some basic first aid back at college but its best to keep updated with this sort of stuff so well done on posting this

looking forward to the updates

rynaldo

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ok...here we go again...for those interested at least.

Heimlich Manouver

The Heimlich Manouver is normally used in situations where there is an object blocking the flow of oxygen into their body and is constricting or completly blocking there ability to breathe. Normally it is one of 4 reasons.

1: Choking
2: Choking infant
2b: Saving yourself
2c: Drowning
3: Asthma

Lets begin at number one and i will give u basic intructions on each manouver as well as diagrams and links.

Choking

Its gonna be kinda obvious if someone is having trouble breathing due to choking on something they have swallowed or ate. Normal signs include:

: Turning blue *asphyxia*
: Thumping themselves on chest or back
: Panicked look and expression.

Since a choking victim obviously cannot speak or breath, you need to move very quickly so they are partially able to help you before they pass out, making matters very much more serious.

FIRST OF ALL...STAY CALM AND FOCUSED!!!

1: From behind, wrap your arms around the victims waist.

2: Make a fist and place the thumb side of your fist against the victim's upper abdomen, below the ribcage and above the navel.

3: Grasp your fist with your other hand and press into their upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Do not squeeze the ribcage; confine the force of the thrust to your hands.

4: Repeat until object is expelled

How to do Heimlich Manouver when victim is unconciouss or when rescuers arms wont reach around victim

1: Place the victim on back

2: Facing the victim, kneel astride the victim's hips. With one of your hands on top of the other, place the heel of your bottom hand on the upper abdomen below the rib cage and above the navel.

3: Use your body weight to press into the victim's upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Repeat until object is expelled.

4: If the Victim has not recovered, proceed with CPR.

The Victim should see a physician immediately after rescue.

Choking Infant

Again...same as choking adult..cannot speak or breathe...u need to work fast and calmly.

1: Lay the child down, face up, on a firm surface and kneel or stand at the victim's feet, or hold infant on your lap facing away from you.

2: Place the middle and index fingers of both your hands below his rib cage and above his navel.

3: Press into the victim's upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust; do not squeeze the rib cage.

4: Be very gentle. Repeat until object is expelled.

5: If the victim has not regained conciousness or recovered, proceed with CPR.

The Victim should see a physician immediately after rescue.

Heimlich for self choking

Same rules apply again...stay calm and focused.

1: Make a fist and place the thumb side of your fist against your upper abdomen, below the ribcage and above the navel.

2: Grasp your fist with your other hand and press into your upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust.

3: Repeat until object is expelled.

Or if you have one handy...lean over a flat object and push in your upper adomen and make a quick upwards thrust.

Drowning

Always remember this....You cant get the air in...till you get the water out.

For victim lying down

1: Place victim on back. Turn face to one side to allow water to drain from mouth.

2: Facing victim, kneel astride victim's hips.

3: With one of your hands on top of the other, place the heel of your bottom hand on the upper abdomen below the rib cage and above the navel.

4: Use your body weight to press into the victim's upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Repeat until water no longer flows from the mouth.

Standing in a pool or river

(Bouyancy of the Water Lightens Victims' Weight)

1: Stand behind the victim and wrap your arms around victim's waist.

2: Make a fist and place the thumb side of your fist against the victim's upper abdomen, below the rib cage and above the navel.

3: Grasp your fist with your other hand and press into the victim's upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Do not squeeze the ribcage; confine the force of the thrust to your hands.

4: Repeat until water no longer flows from the mouth.

5: If no recovery, proceed with CPR.

Heimlich for Asthma victims

Performing the Heimlich on a person who is having an acute asthma attack or who is unresponsive to there medication and also who cannot take there medication due to the effects of the attack.

1: If you are performing the maneuver on another, wrap your arms around the victim's waist from behind.

2: Make a fist and place the thumb side of your fist against your (the victim's) upper abdomen, below the ribcage and above the navel.

3: Grasp your fist with your other hand and press into your (the victim's) upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust. Do not squeeze the ribcage; confine the force of the thrust to your hands.

4: Repeat if necessary.

5: Alternatively, you can lean over a fixed horizontal object (table edge, chair, railing) and press your upper abdomen against the edge to produce a quick upward thrust. Repeat if necessary.

6: If no response, perform CPR.

Hope this all helps everyone...

Related links

www.chclibrary.org...

kidshealth.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Very informative!

I'd also recommend steri strips for your First Aid box though, they're essential for when you can't get stitches immediatly, and they help prevent infection and stop the bleeding:

-Becs

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Great work gryff, and very informative,

I think its always best to get clued up on your first aid, Its something that at some point in our lives we all need to use,

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
another excellent post in this thread, once again great description and something which is an important topic

looking forward to the next installement

keep up the good work

rynaldo

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Nice information Gryffen nice to know what I can do when a mate or myself is chokeing. Then I would't be just standing around watching someone chokeing to death.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Solid work again!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I didn't think the "Heimlich Manouver" was used anymore... a lot of damage can be done if the manouver isn't done correctly... broken ribs...
Instead, i was taught that force is applied to the back using the base of the hand. The hit/slap... LOL! Well thats wat we're are taught here in Australia.

[edit on 25/8/2004 by jameo131i]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yeah the Heimlich can be very dangerous if used incorrectly.

Most injuries normally happen when excessive force is used on the victim causing bruising and even broken/fractured ribs. Also internal damage has been known to happen so if u are using it, always beware of ur strength and who u are rescueing.

top topics

join