It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't more people open to this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Several years ago I got a random text from a stranger on my brand new cellphone (I'd only had it for about 3 weeks then). This is usually the type of thing that happens once, the texter realizes it's a wrong number and that's the end of it. However, this time things went much differently. The text message I got said "Hello? ne1 thr?" and since I was feeling in a rather playful mood I responded by saying "Nope." I got a reply and we started to chat.

In the end I made a new friend out of a completely random text message. Turns out the person on the other end was just bored and we happen to have some common interests. It was interesting. We never actually met but once in while we'd text a few times back and forth about random things. It was kind of cool.

So back to my question. Why aren't more people open to that kind of thing? When I tell people about it they think I'm stupid for actually talking the person. All I have to say in response is that if I hadn't then I would never have had this cool story to tell. It's my own humble opinion that people should be more open. I know things could have turned out bad. The other person could have been an axe murderer, or stalker, or whatever else your imagination can think up. Chances were equally good he/she wasn't a bad person. And since nothing bad came of it I'm open to more random communications. Who knows who I could end up meeting. It's interesting to think about, ya know?

Anyway. I'm all for random communications. The end. :-)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I like your random story. Never understood how someone (ex-girlfriends) can just text or talk on the phone for hours on end. I'm one of those guys who can only stand talking on the phone for a few seconds. Non the less I like your opening post.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
One question comes to mind.. What if it's not a random stranger, And you are being tracked.. Brand new cell phone compromised..

Call me paranoid.. Well I AM paranoid.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
thats funny....

Once I got a random message from a stranger on my mobile..... we got chatting/texting and to cut a long story short eventually my sister ended up dating him..... It didnt work out but we all had some very funny times.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aletheia

I accidently typed the wrong address when trying to email my brother once and didn't realize it. The next day I got an email back saying, "I don't know you, don't write me anymore!" I couldn't help it lol and responded. Long long story short me and this woman ended up being together for 6 year and got engaged. The random things that happen are funny sometimes.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Anyway. I'm all for random communications.

lol, I think chatroulette might be something right up your alley.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You know, it's funny you should mention this topic! When I was younger (much younger), I'd sometimes send a message such as, 'Hey I'm bored, who is this'. I know it sounds crazy but I was young and you'd be surprised how many replies I actually got!

I am fully aware of how weird I have just portrayed myself and I kinda like it ha ha. People aren't generally open to this due to the fact, it could be anyone but then if compare it to using the Internet... I guess it's just the same thing really!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
imagine my surprise, discovering your post wasn't about [perversion] after reading the title!

Really? First I see you post about you [perversion] 5min ago here, and now this? I think you're on the wrong forum.

Ever watch 'To Catch a Predator'? lol, I think that alone is probably why people aren't into this. Also, as far as Americans go, we're not very chit chatty with people we do not know.

edit on 25-8-2011 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
thats funny....

Once I got a random message from a stranger on my mobile..... we got chatting/texting and to cut a long story short eventually my sister ended up dating him..... It didnt work out but we all had some very funny times.

That's awesome! Randomness can be fun. Who knows what will happen with random events... they're so... mysterious. I think that's why I enjoy them so much.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by aletheia
That's awesome! Randomness can be fun. Who knows what will happen with random events... they're so... mysterious. I think that's why I enjoy them so much.

it can..... but it can also be dangerous..... My sis and I struck lucky, if my daughter did the same thing I would be quite distressed....

Dont rely on luck being on your side.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

see how many stars that got before if was removed?

censor humour

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'm open to it
Before the internet, when I was a teenager, me and a friend used to pick names we liked out of the phone book and call them up and start a conversation like we known them all their lives.

Met quite a few "phone friends" doing that.
People I never met in person, that didn't even live far from me, just someone to call up when you wanted to vent, or chat about nothing.

People I haven't thought about in years...... Makes me want to make a few phone calls

Thanks for the reminder!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
imagine my surprise, discovering your post wasn't about anal sex after reading the title!

feel free to hit me with an OT stick, couldn't resist...

I was thinking threesome, but anyway...

I think that is a very cool story and I have made friends out of random strangers as well.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

Same amount I got for noting your hornyness.

Censor Bad Humor!

edit on 25-8-2011 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

top topics

join