It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hab22
good news. irene is turning east. latest tracking at 11 pm on weather.com has it moving from 77.4 w to 77.3 w. That's a good sign this monster could be curving to the east. let's hope the trend continues

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.3N 77.3W
ABOUT 490 MI...785 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...942 MB...27.82 INCHES

Irene is NOT TURNING EAST!

View Rainbow Color Infrared loop: www.ssd.noaa.gov...

edit on 25-8-2011 by robyn because: added loop

edit on 25-8-2011 by robyn because: format

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
reply to post by VariableConstant

Did I hear right, that Mr. Mayor isn't going to make an evacuation notice/order until Saturday AM? Little late imo. Can you imagine the chaos?

I would hope people would have enough common sense to make a decision and leave on their own. I don’t understand why people would have to wait to be told to evacuate.

edit on 25-8-2011 by topdog30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Isn't the storm going to weaken as it moves north along the coast? If the storm is a Cat 3 now and it continues to drop in wind speed and power as it moves north, shouldnt it be just a tropical storm at worst once it reaches NJ/NY? I feel like the news is blowing this out of proportion, but who knows.... I dont think we are going to see another Andrew or Katrina....
edit on 25-8-2011 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I grew up in Florida and I have seen Hurricane's act a little bit like this before. She "should" spend the rest of tonight and possibly tomorrow moving slow and building strength. Then she is going to suddenly lurch forward and increase speed while she burns herself out along the coast and colder northern waters. More time's than not an Atlantic Hurricane like this will suddenly shift direction and head out to sea.

On the other hand last year, this year and next should have extreme and unusual weather patterns. That makes everything more and more unpredictable. But we haven't had a Florida area Hurricane (specifically gulf of mexico) make landfall since the oilspill in the gulf. Personally I think this is just another step in Gods (or mother nature if you prefer) wet/dry vaccuum as He (she) cleans up our mess. Stir it up and flush it out. My theory kindof accounts for the tornadoes of 2011 and the continued ebbing and flooding of the Missippi as well.

Prayers and Good will for the inhabitants of the north east. I hope the trend continues and she heads out to sea without making direct landfall.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I really don't think this Hurricane will be anything too bad.

That being said, i could see some problems arise from flooding but thats about it, nothing like Katrina.

I saw the front page of a local paper this morning with a shot of the storm and the words " MONSTER " written across it. It looks to me like "they" are trying to hype up the storm so people go out and spend to prepare.

Its just a random prediction, but i think we'll see a bunch of small disaster type events take place where the media and corporations will hype them up to get people worried and spending.

Yes?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
*Current forecasts have the storm tracking up the coast, clipping the coast of NC, and heading straight for NYC

*The NE seaboard has loads of moisture in the air right now.

*The ocean temps are just under the temp needed to build strength on the NE seaboard.. They are perfect for sustaining strength, though. (~80°+ to build strength. ~70°-80° to sustain). Right now, as a Cat. 3, it is off the coast of FL. The water temps are ~85°. They drop to ~80° around the Chesapeake Bay area, and are ~75° all the way up to Boston.

Moisture + ~80° water temp = strength building hurricane.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Part of me wants to say Irene will crap out and be the non-story of the year (which I think is somewhat likely) But, the other part of me, the one I usually listen to in these circumstances, would get the heck out of the way... quick... before everyone else get's in your way... Getting grey hair is not a bad thing.

Good luck to anyone in the path.

Boo on Irene

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by topdog30
I would hope people would have enough common sense to make a decision and leave on their own. I don’t understand why people would have to wait to be told to evacuate.

Side effect of our economy and social construct.. If a person evacuates instead of showing up for work and nothing happens, they get fired. If they evacuate because the "officials" told them to, they are ok.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kicking2bears
On the other hand last year, this year and next should have extreme and unusual weather patterns. That makes everything more and more unpredictable.

guess we should take that into consideration. it is now 9:00 at night here and the temperature is 105. thats kinda weird.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Isn't the storm going to weaken as it moves north along the coast? If the storm is a Cat 3 now and it continues to drop in wind speed and power as it moves north, shouldnt it be just a tropical storm at worst once it reaches NJ/NY? I feel like the news is blowing this out of proportion, but who knows.... I dont think we are going to see anoSorry...but that is absolutely NOT going to happen.

This will be a Cat 3 at landfall along the coast of NC and will be a high end Cat 1 or low end Cat 2 as it makes its way up the entire eastern coast. The NHC track is about where we have had our track for some time and is what we are expecting. ther Andrew or Katrina....
edit on 25-8-2011 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

To answer your very logical question, here's a quote from a professional meteorologist (Air ForceMet) on Storm2k weather forum:
www.storm2k.org...

Surge will be a big factor...especially given the size of this system...and the speed of movement....and the winds pushing water into the bays.

This will NOT be a tropical storm by its second landfall. The high-res Euro has the right idea on this. Baroclinic forces are going to start to play a role in this as it picks up speed and offset some of the weakening caused by lower SST's and land interaction. Irene's wind field will spread out even more and this will add insult to injury with the surge...and the downing of trees.

If you look at high res satellite now...you can see the inner core coming together. She is making her run at the low 930's and I would not be surprised to see the 920's before she begins to fill. I made that prediction earlier today and my commander's eyes shot upwards...and the pressure then was 950. We are now at 942 and falling...and the convection is just now getting going. Wait until this convective explosion works its magic.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Haha take that jersey shore! Reminds me of the south park episode where the "jersey" people invade lol.

Oh yea and it also reminds me of that mega disaters episode with the hurricane that slammed new york city.
Kinda scary thinking of evacuating that many millions of people.

That also reminds me of a documentary called babylon newyork or something.
Kinda scary

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Oh no. jersey shore is going to be canceled

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by noobgal

Sadly, you cannot kill off cockroaches that easily...

Sorry, I know that was offensive and rude, but I see absolutely no benefit in the existence of that show.

Back on topic.. . here is a link to our local news site, including clips from Mayor Bloomberg's statement today.
newyork.cbslocal.com...

More interesting is NYC.gov's map of evacuation zones.. mainly low lying parts of the city including Lower Manhattan's Financial district:

gis.nyc.gov...
Second link: gothamist.com...-1

My company (major financial) is already on standby for activating a DR in case many people cannot make it in to work on Monday. I guess we'll see if it's all hype or not.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
There is no local, state, or federal law that says you have to evacuate your home. And if you do evacuate, don't be surprised if you get to sleep in your car for five days on the side of the highway until the "authorities" decide it's safe for you to return. And if you go to one of their "shelters," don't be surprised if you have to endure airport-style patdowns to enter and perhaps having to ask permission to leave. And don't expect your guns to still be there when you get back.

"State of Emergency?" That sounds like a euphemism for "martial law." This whole thing is a drill for when they get serious about their forced evacuations of entire regions. Everytime there is a brush fire somewhere, or a heavy snowfall, or a small flood, they declare one of their 'mandatory evacuations.' I am seeing more and more of them. Oh yeah, this is all part of the agenda.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If this ends up being bad it will cause some costly damage in NY, salt water flooding the transit system sounds like a very costly issue, hopefully the surge isnt bad at all if the storm comes rolling through....

Can't we use HAARP to push this storm away??? JK

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
According to our local weather guy. By the time it reaches New York City, it should be a Cat 1 hurricane.

If it gets bad enough to where you have to leave your homes and have nowhere to go. People up here in my state are already offering free places to stay. Heck, you might even be able to get some petty cash, free food, and a car to drive.

During hurricane Katrina. Our local tree cutting services all decided to leave town and help. During that time we had a very bad wind storm that knocked out power all over and snapped trees across roads, houses, and power lines. So believe me when I say I do hope it doesn't cause too much damage.
edit on 8/26/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Now you just have to wonder--how exactly do they know where this storm is going? They don't. It could go east, west or even south. My bet is it will head out to sea and peter out. Calm down, everybody.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Irene is a name derived from the Greek word εἰρήνη (eiréné) meaning "peace"

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
Now you just have to wonder--how exactly do they know where this storm is going? They don't. It could go east, west or even south. My bet is it will head out to sea and peter out. Calm down, everybody.

Hmm no, it can't go south. But yeah it can go west and east. More likely north east... then north west.

We shall see.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

"state of emergency" is something all states do in advance of a potential disaster (or after an unforeseen disaster). It's only done to clear the way for federal funding to cover costs of whatever happens.

No hidden agenda... just states covering their arsses.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join