It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010
Wow noone mentions NC hell we are the ones who are gonna get the landfall...

Winds usually arent the most damaging thing its the rain. Hurricane Floyd made eastern NC was like a war zone. The ground was already saturated do to a tropical storm a week before. It was the worse flooding in eastern NC in over a century. Coffins were floating out of the ground, the smell along the local rivers was stagnant for weeks. It was terrible. A small scale version of Katrina flooding.

Not all hurricanes are created equal and other circumstances besides their rating can play a huge factor into how much damage they can cause. Their path, how far inland they go, how wet the ground already is etc

Trees in ground soaked soil are way more easily toppled and storm surge especially in low lying areas in dangerous.

Ive lived through several of these. Bertha, Fran, Floyd, bonnie etc
edit on 25-8-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

source

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue declared a state of emergency for counties east of Interstate 95. "Hurricane Irene poses a significant threat to our state," Perdue said, "and we need to take appropriate action to ensure the safety of our residents and visitors, along with property and infrastructure along our coast." The latest hurricane center advisory projects Irene will make landfall late Saturday afternoon near Ocracoke. Tropical storm-force winds and rain are projected to begin late Friday and could increase to hurricane-force winds later Saturday. Evacuations began Wednesday for visitors to Ocracoke Island. Beginning Thursday morning, residents of all of Hyde County and visitors to Dare County are being evacuated. Residents and visitors to Carteret County were ordered out Thursday afternoon. For updates about the storm, follow North Carolina Emergency Management on Twitter, Facebook and on the Crime Control and Public Safety website.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
In the upcoming days, we're going to see the difference between the people in New Orleans and those in New Jersey/New York. Will we see mass looting and riots all over the streets, or will it be like Japan after the earthquake with everybody trying to help each other?
edit on 8/25/2011 by SonicInfinity because: Spelling fix
Do you know how many hurricanes hit around the New Orleans area and NEVER give us the hell that Katrina gave us? The only way this will prove comperable is if it devestates a major citiy. And from the Cajuns that I talk to that have been in the more rural areas (lowlands, whatall), New Jersey folks are more like Cajun Country folks, which means that I'd bet that they wouldn't act like City Hoodlums, but more like the parishes south of New Orleans during Katrina. For all the hell that storm caused, you didn't have nutjobs in those parishes shooting at rescue crews.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

:lol
mg! Wow! Hilarious

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

I was saying noone in this thread has mentioned NC much its been more talk about Jersey. NC is gonna take the brunt of this storm from the looks of it and its current track. While it will still pose a serious threat its not like taking the full punch we are gonna take. More than likely it will diminish to a 2 or 1 by the time it hits our northern neighbors. But like i said that means little when it comes to flooding and rain so everyone needs to take it seriously..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
irene at 0115 UTC / 9:15 PM EDT
winds 115 mph

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4426c9b2f52f.png[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I have a feeling its gonna come more western before going directly north. I think its gonna come more inland in NC than predicted. Just a hunch though well see. Its also shaping up to be a pretty impressive storm imo

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
For those concerned,here is an interactive hurricane tracker.

www.weather.com...

With another one right behind it!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ok, a weather explanation:

There are 2 ways that a hurricane can maintain or even strenghten from the Carolinas to New Jersey area:

1. To maintain a high category the speed the eye travels at has to be seriously fast. Water that is cooler than 80 degrees does not sustain hurricanes, so the slow speed of this storm should make this very unlikely. But if the storm picks up speed, then it may be a problem.

2. To gain strength in that area, the storm has to CHANGE ITS NATURE. They're called Extratropical Cyclones.
en.wikipedia.org...

Tropical cyclones often transform into extratropical cyclones at the end of their tropical existence, usually between 30° and 40° latitude, where there is sufficient forcing from upper-level troughs or shortwaves riding the Westerlies for the process of extratropical transition to begin. During extratropical transition, the cyclone begins to tilt back into the colder airmass with height, and the cyclone's primary energy source converts from the release of latent heat from condensation (from thunderstorms near the center) to baroclinic processes. The low pressure system eventually loses its warm core and becomes a cold-core system. During this process, a cyclone in extratropical transition (known across the eastern North Pacific and North Atlantic oceans as the post-tropical stage)[13][14] will invariably form or connect with nearby fronts and/or troughs consistent with a baroclinic system. Due to this, the size of the system will usually appear to increase, while the core weakens. However, after transition is complete, the storm may re-strengthen due to baroclinic energy, depending on the environmental conditions surrounding the system. The cyclone will also distort in shape, becoming less symmetric with time.
Since this storm is relatively slow, and it may not reach landfall until it is in New Jersey or further north, it has enough time to become one of these monsters. And these do not require beiing in water to be hell on earth.

For example, Lothar ground across France, Germany, and Switzerland (across mountains, tropical Hurricanes don't do well on mountains).

Wind speeds reached around 150 km/h in lower areas and more than 250 km/h on some mountains.
en.wikipedia.org...(storm) If this storm converts and sucessfully gains strength, the thing it will have that's worse than what Lothar did is that this baby is dragging water.

So yes, there's reason to worry.
edit on 25-8-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: c for x

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
i think that as long as your not right on the water youre going to be alright. tommorow is supposed to be beautiful by the way, so take the day off and batten down the hatches. if it even hits us, who knows.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Bloomberg asking residents to evacuate now because roads, bridges, and mass transit CANNOT SUPPORT a full scale evacuation.

Transit authority says mass transit cannot run in sustained winds over 39 mph...
Damn... what a weak transit system.

This right here is all the reason anyone should need to GTFO while the gettin' is good.

Nothing ends up happening? Cool, at least you had the chance to get away from the city for a few days.

If it does turn into a bad scene? Imagine the chaos of all those people trying to get out at the last minute. The word "stampede" will not describe it.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine, but why chance it?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think the storm surge is going to be the biggest problem with Irene. High tide is around 8:00pm for New York and from what I've heard Irene should be coming ashore about then. If my family and I lived in the city you can guarantee we'd be camping west of the storm this weekend.

www.tides4fishing.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Did I hear right, that Mr. Mayor isn't going to make an evacuation notice/order until Saturday AM? Little late imo. Can you imagine the chaos?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
HURRICANE IRENE ADVISORY NUMBER 23

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.3N 77.3W
ABOUT 490 MI...785 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...942 MB...27.82 INCHES

So... Pressure to Cat. 4 levels... just the winds don't get faster... hopefully they don't...

Anyway, I've heard on the weather channel that the jet stream, just north of the hurricane, will keep the hurricane from weakening and will make it stronger... it's called a ``jet streak`` or so he says...

The latest news is that the eye is getting more and more defined and bigger and bigger...

Me thinks we'll see Category 4 tomorrow if not bigger... Me thinks NY will be in for a rough ride.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
good news. irene is turning east. latest tracking at 11 pm on weather.com has it moving from 77.4 w to 77.3 w. That's a good sign this monster could be curving to the east. let's hope the trend continues

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krystian
wow...last evacuation in 1985...

This in itself is huge news, now combine this with all the other ridiculous news coming out each day and the prophecy of the Mayan days of destruction start to make sense...

Stuff is getting real...week by week, day by day...

2012?? We gotta make it through 2011.......

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hab22
good news. irene is turning east. latest tracking at 11 pm on weather.com has it moving from 77.4 w to 77.3 w. That's a good sign this monster could be curving to the east. let's hope the trend continues

Yep this is good... Turning east. I hope it continues...

IRENE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NEAR 14 MPH...22 KM/H...AND THIS MOTION IS
EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD
THE NORTH-NORTHEAST SHOULD BEGIN THEREAFTER.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by Krystian
wow...last evacuation in 1985...

This in itself is huge news, now combine this with all the other ridiculous news coming out each day and the prophecy of the Mayan days of destruction start to make sense...

Stuff is getting real...week by week, day by day...

2012?? We gotta make it through 2011.......

If one is to believe the various prophecies out there, these things will happen in greater and greater severity in ever decreasing intervals over the next year. So this may just be the warm up.. assuming any of that is valid.

edit on 8-25-2011 by rogerstigers because: I was randomly selected for enhanced security screening by the spelling nazi's

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Wow hope this isnt too bad.. I live in Marlton, New Jersey about an hour or so from cape may, ill be working all day saturday and sunday so hoping it wont be too bad

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Come on Irene !

edit on 25-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'm in northern brooklyn, new york. Gonna go shopping for my emergency radios, can goods etc tomorrow morning. MTA Subways are gonna get eFFD, hudson / east river water flooding the tunnels, yikes
I'll second the gentlemen that mentioned the mayan prophecys, the writing is on the wall "People". Earthquakes, bp spill, storms, drought, ice caps melting, a brown dwarf being discovered not long ago roaming our solar system. The Egyptians had a name for an object that passed very close to our orbit every 3600 years & called it the destroyer, because it caused major havoc with climate and the earths mantle & knew it came many times before. So for all that think this is all hype, I say keep a tight @ss because when the # really hits the fan, everyones gonna feel it, no matter where you are on the planet. We ain't seen nothing yet, Watch.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join