It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

That second clip made me scream for Jesus...

Cranial sponge, what is the significance of the size with this storm, what are the "usual" diameters of Hurricanes?

Wait I'm lazy....a quick search revealed the diameter of Katrina was 415 mi.

whoa.

So this is 800 mi??

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

I just found on this site that Hurricane Irene is 510 miles in diameter. With all of these states of emergency around me, I'm really starting to get nervous.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

That's the craft where the camera is mounted
edit on 25-8-2011 by Pilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

3/4 million in Cape May county NJ evacuated?

Pretty neat trick considering only (as of 2010 census) 97,000 people live there

Where did the extra 650,000 come from...?

Come on people lets keep it real....

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kreeger
This comment would make me seriously think about leaving

"Those who choose to ignore the mandatory evacuation order have been asked to place an ID card in their left shoe so they may be identified if necessary." (news.sky.com...)

That is exactly the reasoning BEHIND making that statement.

Originally posted by dollyr0cka
reply to post by Pilot

I just found on this site that Hurricane Irene is 510 miles in diameter. With all of these states of emergency around me, I'm really starting to get nervous.

Hang in there and remember, news channels have a very real and important goal in mind: KEEP VIEWERS WATCHING!

So what kinds of things might they do to keep you watching? Think about it.

It's probably just hype. It will all be alright. And even if I am wrong and it becomes a huge problem, you have to remain un afraid and calm if you want to survive.

Be cool and don't panic and I am sure you will be okay! Good luck!
edit on 8/25/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedman
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

3/4 million in Cape May county NJ evacuated?

Pretty neat trick considering only (as of 2010 census) 97,000 people live there

Where did the extra 650,000 come from...?

Come on people lets keep it real....

I'm just quoting the article at the time of posting
edit on 25/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Add to fact its been raining here (NJ) all month - over 10" of rain more than twice normal amount

It rained again today

Ground is saturated, rivers are full (live 1/2 mile from Passaic river)

Means trees are going to topple - taking out houses, cars, power lines, etc

Rivers are going to flood - 12 years ago Hurricane Floyd (1999) came through. It was moving fast, 35 mph

en.wikipedia.org...

Even them picked up 10-12 inches in as many hours. Everything flooded

Most models show a direct hit on NJ or close miss if goes off shore.

Potential is for massive destruction

Since belong to Fire department looks like busy weekend......

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Thanking you for that! I didn't know they looked so odd. So the satellite in the pic is taking the pic? Oky-doke!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

its a summer resort area the influx of people on vacation there in the summer is amazing thats where all the extra people come from in the winter its a sleeply little town kinda feel in the summer u can barely walk through the crowds its nuts all the people that vacation there in the summer

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
From what I have just read.....the pathway of hurricane Irene is very serious. As I set here safe (at the moment) in the pacific northwest.....my heart and prayers go out to everyone on the east coast. I pray for all of you continued safety ......and that includes your pets too.

Tonight if I was on the east coast I would go and stock up on everything I could, water, canned food, blankets, pillows, changes of clothing, have cash on hand....because ATM's may not work.......find a safe place to be...and then wait it out...bring some playing cards and board games too...it will pass the time....flash lights, battery operated radios etc.

I am very, very concerned for all of you.....after all....you are part of my ATS family!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Very useful link telling you what each state involved it doing

CNN state by state

can't add this to the original post

edit on 25/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Ahh - its all "bennies"

Bennie is NJ term used by shore residents for outsiders . Used in prejorative sense do to the often drunken
(think Jersey shore - all of them are bennies by the way...) behavior exhibited by them

I live in Northern part of the stet

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
ok, i only read the first 2 pages of the thread, so i apologize if this has already been discussed, but i mean really people? hurricane evacs aren't that out of the ordinary. i was in a hurricane evac years ago on vacation, and the area we were in didn't even receive and damage.

basically, the evac is assuming the worst case possible scenario, which is not likely to happen. this really is just another hurricane, which doesn't mean it wont be devastating, but this is no doomsday event. i know this is ATS, the conspiracy site, and i love that, but please people, don't over analyse everything you hear.

also, i figured most people knew this, but from some of the posts i just read, people don't realize that as a hurricane goes north, it hits cooler water, lowering its strength. that's why even though it is a CAT 3 as of now, that's just because it is still in very warm waters.
edit on 8/25//11 by superstatue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
from the state by state link New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has said

If the hurricane continues on its current track, then "from a flooding perspective, this could be a hundred-year event"

What does he mean by that? Does he mean that it will be the worst for 100 years or that the area won't be the same for 100 years??? Surely not the latter??

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
reply to post by BobAthome

That second clip made me scream for Jesus...

Cranial sponge, what is the significance of the size with this storm, what are the "usual" diameters of Hurricanes?

Wait I'm lazy....a quick search revealed the diameter of Katrina was 415 mi.

whoa.

So this is 800 mi??

Here's a link to ABC News stating that it looks to be about 800 miles across with an extented storm tail making a total of about 1200 miles end to end...

This damn thing is massive !

Edited to add:
What makes it even worse is the fact that it's only moving at about 15-20 mph... another words hurricane winds/rain/debris could take hours to pass through an area.
edit on 25-8-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flying Sorcerer
from the state by state link New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has said

If the hurricane continues on its current track, then "from a flooding perspective, this could be a hundred-year event"

What does he mean by that? Does he mean that it will be the worst for 100 years or that the area won't be the same for 100 years??? Surely not the latter??

In terms of storms, to say something is a "100 year event" means that it is something that only happens every hundred years or so.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

thank you for clarifying that

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

The categories only go up to 5 for Hurricanes.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Wow noone mentions NC hell we are the ones who are gonna get the landfall...

Ive lived through several of these. Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Bonnie etc growing up in eastern NC. Some were nothing bad at all but others were very damaging. So dont take them lightly.

Winds usually arent the most damaging thing its the rain. Hurricane Floyd made eastern NC look a war zone. The ground was already saturated do to a tropical storm a week before. It was the worse flooding in eastern NC in over a century. Coffins were floating out of the ground, the smell along the local rivers was stagnant for weeks. It was terrible. My uncle almost drowned when his truck got swept away by the Tar river flooding. It was a smaller scale version of Katrina flooding.

Not all hurricanes are created equal and other circumstances besides their rating can play a huge factor into how much damage they can cause. Their path, how far inland they go, how wet the ground already is etc

Trees in ground soaked soil are way more easily toppled and storm surge especially in low lying areas in dangerous.

edit on 25-8-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You people were warned. If something like Katrina happens to you again, don't be crying afterwards...
I'd be getting outta town, even for a few days.. Before everyone else decides to.
Better safe then sorry...
edit on 25-8-2011 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join