It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

its so big that there only, now in the eye,,,
gotta come out the other side now,,,

link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Cheers for the image update mate.

It is actually over Florida, not the eye, but the Western arm...yet nothing about bad weather on the Florida service...or the Bahamas, although they haven't updated since about 5pm.

It does look huge though from those images.

Hopefully, it will weaken somewhat, but if not the Eastern coastline will all be hit. At least long island and Fire islands will be a natural barrier to tidal rises and should protect NYC from a lot of any potential impact from high waves.

Not good for the islands themselves i know..but.

link   
All these naysayers of it only being a Cat 1 storm are forgetting a very important detail:

This particular hurricane is about 800 miles in diameter with a storm trail following it making for a total of about 1200 miles from one end to the other.

Now a Cat 1 is around 85 mph winds right ?

So how long does it take a 1200 mile long storm to pass over your house ?
1 hour ?
2 ?
4 ?

How long can your home, roof, windows, porch, garden shed, garage, vehicle, swing set, etc handle the hammering of non-stop 85 mph winds, rain, and debris before some of it finally gives way ?

Do not poo-poo a Cat 1 storm this size.

And quite frankly, they have no clue what category this sucker is going to be once it hits landfall, they can only give their best guesstimate... And by the time they've figured out exactly what it's going to be and the direct path it's going to take... it'll be too damn late for you to get the hell out of Dodge.

They're evacuating because of the size of this one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollyr0cka
reply to post by spikey

Look for tomorrow. It increases to 75mph. I guess they haven't gotten the worst of it yet.
The Weather Channel

Hopefully it'll get weaker dolly, hopefully.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
New York has now declared a state of emergency

ats thread

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
There is one word that h'aint been altered on that breaking news headline : it's

mandatory

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

I can tell you one thing for sure. Right now 7:30pm,we are getting one he'll of a storm. Lightening,thunder,wind,and heavy rain?I know this big storm wont start until tomorrow? Light are going to go out shortly I think.COuld this crap be related?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just announced on the CNN: the US navy fleet on the move, evacuating early so they have time to get to a safe distance.
Also two more tropical storms developing fast in Pacific, Nanmadol and Talas.

link

It's gonna be a crazy weekend; let's hope that everyone in the affected areas will leave in time and will be safe.
edit on 25-8-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
if mtv don't cancel jersey shore, god will.

Fist pump the hurricane away.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Hurricane Irene From Space - NASA (Huge Storm)

wow

link   
Why are you talking cat1? Hasn't it been upgraded to CAT3?
hisz.rsoe.hu...

I see, it's supposed to drop to tropical storm by the time it hits further north.....so why the mandatory evacuation up north then?

Just trying to learn.
Rainbows
Jane

link   
I think what a lot of people do not realise or know, is that windows and doors are built to certain standards depending on where they are in the USA or Canada.

Link

Windows in the Southern Region have to be able to withstand hurricane test, and are subject to an impact test for this. They shoot a 2" x 4" at 50fps (9lbs) into the window, and it can not penetrate to pass the test.

They also do a wind cycle test on these windows

Windows in the Northern Region are not required to pass Hurricane impact tests.

I think you can see where I'm going here. If the windows and doors can't take the punch, there could be a lot of damage.
edit on 25-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom

I can tell you one thing for sure. Right now 7:30pm,we are getting one he'll of a storm. Lightening,thunder,wind,and heavy rain?I know this big storm wont start until tomorrow? Light are going to go out shortly I think.COuld this crap be related?
Also Delaware gov.declares state of emergency

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
First an earthquake on the eastcoast, now this? Im genuinely worried for everyone in the way.

***Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is live on the weather channel live right now and is requesting people to go find safety and get out of town. they are mulling over a MANDATORY evaq for NYC and will have a decision by tomorrow morning at 8 AM.
edit on 8/25/11 by ziggyproductions05 because: (no reason given)

jowser how long till that ?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Hey, on this vid (National Hurricane Center) at 2:24 minute mark there is a satellite view of the storm which shows the curvature of the Earth. Kindly tell me what is the oddly shaped object (looks like a huge rock?) in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. There is sky in between it and the Earth. Umm... asteroid? Or is the ISS strangely shaped? Link to video: abcnews.go.com...

Ok, I'll make it easier on you guys... screen shot:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Also Delaware gov.declares state of emergency

This is going to be a long night...have preparations to complete before I leave for work. I'm just hoping the lightening stops long enough for this task. Otherwise that stuff is just going to have to break and blow away.
Be Safe everyone

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Latest :

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.7N 77.4W
ABOUT 530 MI...855 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

944 MB of pressure is Category 4 territory... so within hours it could be Cat.4... winds just need to increase to 131 mph... so it might not be a Cat.4 just yet... if pressure continues to drop, winds will increase...
edit on 25-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
CNN is reporting that six states have now declared states of emergencies.

I hope everyone is safe, but there's always some idiot who refuses to leave because he thinks he can save his home in the face of a hurricane, and ends up dying trying to save what is essentially just "stuff".

Stuff, even homes, can be rebuilt and replaced. Lives cannot.

Come on, people. When the authorities tell you to leave because even FEMA is saying this storm "could be the worst one of the East Coast since the 1930's", it's time to go.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Hey, on this vid (National Hurricane Center) at 2:24 minute mark there is a satellite view of the storm which shows the curvature of the Earth. Kindly tell me what is the oddly shaped object (looks like a huge rock?) in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. There is sky in between it and the Earth. Umm... asteroid? Or is the ISS strangely shaped? Link to video: abcnews.go.com...

Ok, I'll make it easier on you guys... screen shot:

The satellite my friend.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollyr0cka
Mandatory Evacuation in LBI

Jeez.. I didn't realize the severity of this storm. For those of us inland, I've heard that the most we can worry about is extremely high winds, fallen trees and power lines and power outages.

Yah fallen trees are not fun. I've seen a whole strip of them down one street. Trees on top of power lines can mean communities without power for days or a week. Electric lines down are a safety hazard. Then there are tornado spinoffs too.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join