It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just checked the sat image on NOAA, that thing is huge!

It reminds me of those fictional super-cells in the movie 'The Day after Tomorrow'

Regards, Skellon

edit on 25-8-2011 by Skellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for that kdog.

But NOAA say that at 5pm EDT it was directly over the Bahamas. (27.0N 77.3W)

Bahamas weather, as of 5pm EDT (directly under the eye of Irene) reports wind speeds of 20mph, gusting to 35mph.

Doesn't add up to me.

Especially as another member reported they'd heard the Caribbean is experiencing up to 120 mph winds.

A drill perhaps?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skellon
Just checked the sat image on NOAA, that thing is huge!

Regards, Skellon

Yes, looks massive on the satellite image it's extremes are brushing Florida on the image i saw from 5pm EDT.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I guess trading is going to be halted once it hits NY?

Where are the backup exchanges incase they get totalled?

edit on 25-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That is the thing with this storm it is hitting some of the most populated areas in the US. The gulf states and parts of Florida along the coast are not as populated as these areas with the exception of Miami. Even a Cat 1 hiting NYC with the amount of people that live there is very bad, not to mention Boston, Philly, etc

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Bahamas weather over Freeport at 7pm GMT (3pm EDT) says 15mph winds.

NOAA says the storm is moving North / North West at a speed of 14mph...

In any case, perhaps they're worried it will gain momentum along the coast...but the figures still don't add up to me.

Good luck all.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Storm surge in NY in case of hurricane... this is pretty bad if NY gets hit even with just a Cat. 1... with a Cat.2, it would double the area flooded...

Full scale map :
NY Storm Surge Zones PDF

With a cat.2, JFK airport is flooded.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
is Doomsday Finally coming the spoken and Written words

Cat 3 Hurricane it will cause damage, but by the time it reaches NJ and NY it will be Cat 1 or Tropical Storm

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
is Doomsday Finally coming the spoken and Written words

Cat 3 Hurricane it will cause damage, but by the time it reaches NJ and NY it will be Cat 1 or Tropical Storm

No, it's not 'doomsday' mate.

You have the category ratings the wrong way around, Cat 1 is less than Cat 3 in severity.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Anybody remember hurricane Floyd? It hammered NC in the 90`s, this one looks similiar.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

exactly, it's not like the people in NY are not accustomed to bad weather especially in comparison to a CAT1 storm. now maybe, just maybe, the surge could be a problem, but media is citing winds. it's bonkers.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for that kdog.

But NOAA say that at 5pm EDT it was directly over the Bahamas. (27.0N 77.3W)

Bahamas weather, as of 5pm EDT (directly under the eye of Irene) reports wind speeds of 20mph, gusting to 35mph.

Doesn't add up to me.

Especially as another member reported they'd heard the Caribbean is experiencing up to 120 mph winds.

A drill perhaps?

Here is a realtime satellite photo of her.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Look for tomorrow. It increases to 75mph. I guess they haven't gotten the worst of it yet.
The Weather Channel

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
i hear everyone saying it will be only a cat1 no big deal well its not the wind speed that will do all the damage to nj its the storm surge and all the rain and flooding i lived in south jersey for years and it floods there pretty easy just with a good rain storm this could be devastating take it from a local that knows the area and potential for damage

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Interesting post I found...

Irene has the potential to be catastrophic. Mayor Bloomberg stating NYC would make the decision of mandatory evacuations Friday afternoon is a complete joke. Moving and setting up shelter operations for 50,000, much less 500,000 people 24 hours before the rain begins shows a disconnect from the intricacies of such an operation. Worse case: Cat 2 and landfall NYC would mean upwards of 15 feet of water in parts of the city, lost communications and electrical capacity for potentially a month or more due to flooding of the power stations and infrastructure damage.

A few of the things to consider in a worst-case: high rises and apt buildings with no power for weeks during summer, inability to send food and water to certain areas of the city, thousands dead with no place to put the bodies, sewage awash in the streets, breakdown of civil order (like Katrina), fiber optic cables fried, subways filled with seawater, fires in building with no way to put with no way to put them out. The people, of course, are the wildcard. Call me a cynic but I just don't think they'll go meekly into the night like the Japanese and Fukishima. In such circumstances, the thin layer of civility will quickly come off and reveal the barbarian beneath.

I am an emergency manager; it's what I do for a living. This thing could be bad, much worse than a Katrina in terms of loss of life and financial and economic impact.

We shall see.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Somebody please help me understand this here, I thought it was supposed to be a low Cat 1/tropical storm by the time it hits NJ? Every single one of the plotting maps says that's what will happen..

So..why the evac and headline news?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
Somebody please help me understand this here, I thought it was supposed to be a low Cat 1/tropical storm by the time it hits NJ? Every single one of the plotting maps says that's what will happen..

So..why the evac and headline news?

It could be stronger. We'll see in the next 12 hours or so if it hits NY stronger than Cat.1.

Thing is, you can't evacuate millions of people in 24 hours...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Bloomberg and Christie are trying to make up the the Christmas snow storm debacle - where no one was in charge, no emergency was declared and people were buried under three feet of snow for days.

Not to say this storm isn't potentially dangerous, but they want to make sure they cover all the bases to avoid the flak they got over the snowstorm.

And the NYC evac is not for all of New York City - just the areas in the A zone - those closest to the coast. And that's not mandatory - yet.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MRedfield

because of the flooding that will occur with a cat 1 storm there lots of little islands will be seriously flooded there
its not the wind speed that will do the damage its the rain and flooding people need to keep that in mind this is a very flat low lying area that is very subseptable to flooding

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

edit on 8/25/2011 by ForeverDusk because: wound up posting in a different thread

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join