It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fakemessiah

No, a hurricane would not survive even as a tropical storm over land that long, especially over the Adirondacks...you'll be fine.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Bah
Cat 2 and a million flee

I never want to hear about new jersey being tough...a cat 2 hurricane is kite flying weather in florida!

Anyhow, by the time it hits new jersey, it will be a cat 1...aka, a rainstorm with some slightly stronger than normal winds. They expecting zombies with the rain or something? bah.
A hurricane hitting florida, the US generally just gives a thumbs up and says good luck...happens anywhere else and they flip out. Perhaps the northern areas are made out of straw and gum or something.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

For anyone in the affected areas, read this guy's post and disregard the rest of the thread

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What gets me, is that as normal, the USA media is jumping up and down with HOURS of coverage about what will probably be a category 1 storm hitting New York City and Washington DC amongst others, possibly a Category 2 storm hitting Charleston etc.

There's barely been a mention in the news of the damage already done and the lives taken by what was a Category 3 storm as it went across some of the poorest countries in the Caribbean.

As usual, the US media is "all about US" and they wonder how the "me generation" was created?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
How is Rehobeth Beach Deleware looking? is it going to get hard? My parents retirement home is thier they just bought it. Is it going to be okay?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

While I would agree with you if you were talking about a cat1 hitting florida where they are much more common, a cat1 in a region like the tri state with 6x the population density, I have to disagree :/

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I never want to hear about new jersey being tough...a cat 2 hurricane is kite flying weather in florida!

Pretty much right...

Look, I'm glad people are taking it seriously...but I think this is being blown WAY out of proportion.... Then again, better safe than sorry I suppose, but I wonder if the cure is worse than the disease here.

The problems caused by evacuating that many people are likely going to lead to additionally, more losses of property (maybe even life), than if they all just huddled down.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Just to reiterate - the evacuation in question is on a small ISLAND. It is not for the entire city of New Jersey!! Cape May county is on a little island - so let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Bah
Cat 2 and a million flee

Anyhow, by the time it hits new jersey, it will be a cat 1...aka, a rainstorm with some slightly stronger than normal winds. They expecting zombies with the rain or something? bah.
A hurricane hitting florida, the US generally just gives a thumbs up and says good luck...happens anywhere else and they flip out. Perhaps the northern areas are made out of straw and gum or something.

1) 60million people who never seen a hurricane IRL, vs 5million who are used to them
2) Talk next time you guys in florida get 1-2 inches of snow and get road closures for days vs getting a 12+ inches up here and still going to work/school.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunterKiller

Sadly, you cannot kill off cockroaches that easily...

Sorry, I know that was offensive and rude, but I see absolutely no benefit in the existence of that show.

My company (major financial) is already on standby for activating a DR in case many people cannot make it in to work on Monday. I guess we'll see if it's all hype or not.

HK........ that's the pot calling the kettle Black isn't it ???????

Sadly, you cannot kill off cockroaches that easily.

then you said ..

My company (major financial) is ...

I know 'Jersey Shore' is obviously a pile of crap but also don't forget that the Financial world and those who parade around in it are also full of Cr*p too.........

HOWEVER ''BE SAFE'' this weekend ....

Regards

PDUK

Thanks you too... well, unfortunately I'm not one of the people making tons of $$ from all of this; I'm an ordinary, middle class, IT infrastructure guy. The finance depts see us as expense and treat us accordingly so.

edit on 26-8-2011 by HunterKiller because: weird quoting ...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
reply to post by westcoast

New York was hit with Hurricane Carl last year and that was a Category 2, I really don't think its going to be that bad.

I don't remember a Category 2 hurricane hitting us last year... Hurricane "Karl" from last season only affected Mexico, correct?

www.weather.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, hopefully those FEMA camps are ready to accept, feed and water all those people. Wasn't that what the preps were all about last week?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

yeah, it does seem all a bit curious to me. But nobody can really say til 2012 i guess..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Bah
Cat 2 and a million flee

Remember Frances took so long to pass over, and there was so much rain and flooding associated with it. People do need to sandbag maybe.
Charley was Cat 1 by the time it came over us, and there were trees toppled all down some streets, and people were out of power for up to 3 weeks in some areas, and the roofers were years patching up.

Anyway NC is what's going to bear the brunt of this storm. They are just more used to this sort of thing than Jersey
edit on 26-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
NY should be taking this seriously..Its better to be safe than sorry like many were in the aftermath and during Katrina...Weather is unpredictable, even for all the weather pros out there.. Weather for us in these times that is...
I take all the warnings seriously here in East Texas, because I dont my family to have be a fatality or suffer while the gov is trying to get help to us.. Be prepared if your staying and if possible get out of there.. Its not worth it!! I have a bad feeling its going be to like Katrina, but worse.. Because it seems many think its no big deal... Way too many more people there... Even a Cat. 1 will produce some bad crap.. Be smart people, dont take a chance, it will be over soon and if its not bad, then you all go back home.. Alive..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sky News are reporting

"Mayor of New York orders mandatory evacuation of people living in low-lying areas of the city"

thats around 250,000 people isn't it?

NBC already have an article here

Mayor Bloomberg ordered Friday that all New Yorkers living in the city's primary zone must be out by 5 p.m. Saturday.

Some 250,000 people live in the zone, which includes Battery Park City, Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Far Rockaway and Midland Beach and South Beach in Staten Island. See the areas in orange on this map.

edit on 26/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: added nbc link and quote

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear about you guyes trouble. I am following this throughout the weekend. What a trip to see how the hurricanes have turned their fury this season from the Gulf coast areas and have now turned their wrath upon the Eastern states.

Do we know if this is part of Global warming and the melting of the polar ice caps? It is something different for sure, even though I have seen a few major ones along Florida and east, it is far less common.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh also. I remember those signs they placed in NYC a few years ago which were evacuation routes, have they put those out for this event? If so, where are they sending people to shelter? We dont want another
"Dome" situation...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandamack2
you had bette get out now...go ahead and give your homes to the thugs and looters...you dont have any guns or supplies to defend and support yourself with anyway...liberal utopia

Aww it's not the looters, it's people competing for gas pumps at the gas stations, long lines, line jumping. People just get downright mean. Looking for an open gas station can be grueling work when gas is in high demand. Plus getting stranded in long lanes of evacuees...like in Texas.

OK the Citizen Wells site has some info on the projected path and the states it is expected to affect, at Cat 3 level when it makes landfall. People posting comments recommend taking it seriously.
citizenwells.wordpress.com... -philadelphia-new-york-city-hartford-and-boston/

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have been ready for a while now. Supplies are in order.
I am at the cusp of the Jersey shore, slightly west of Sandy Hook.
We shall see what happens.
Everyone be safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join