It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military To Request Up To 5,000 New Robots That Fit In Your Rucksack (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Source:
singularityhub.com...

There’s a new kind of robot that’s rapidly becoming a part of the ground soldier’s outfit – literally. Some of these robots are so small they can fit in a pocket. After only a few years in the field this new breed of reconnaissance robots have proven to be handy enough that the US Army and Marine Corps are planning to request up to 5,000 of them.

Interesting, it looks like the future wars will be fought by robots. An area of weaponry to be watched!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Damn that's an awesome little thing. I would get one but it probably costs 1.2 billion dollars.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Impressive, yet simple gadget. I like it, but it probably cost us a ton.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
These things are so far behind the times its stupid. Aside from the addition of multi spectral optical attatchments, the dual track, flat pattern with a self righting mechanism layout has been around since robot wars season one, many many many years ago!

That this is just comming online now is a travesty.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
and its supposed to do WHAT?
a round from an AK 47 will take this thing out in a second

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Great at going down stairs...probably not so hot at going back up.

I guess any obsticle over 12inchs high will be enough to phase them.

edit on 25-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Recon? You know what thats for right? It doesnt have to be proof against bullets and bombs, if its designed to give eyes on where line of sight cannot be gained without putting oneself at a tactical disadvantage. It only takes a second , just one frame of imaging to gain vital information that might improve the chances of a safe and positive outcome to a situation.

The advantages are obvious, but its taken so long to get this crap on the frontlines.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

still a HUGE waste of $$

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I agree , since as I said, people have been building small tracked robots for less than a grand, for a decade or so. However, just because the military are crap useless at getting a good price for thier gear, does not mean that the gear should not be purchased or put in use. What it does mean is the company that constructs these things ought to be ashamed of itself for over charging the military.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
an OPFOR with nvgs can take that thing out with 1 bullet

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Just because it can be disabled with 1 bullet doesn't mean it has no value on the battlefield. Information is key to success. If you were told there were an unknown number of armed terrorists in your house and only you can stop them, would you want to go in there with or without intelligence?

Base on your logic, a human being is not suitable for combat since it takes 1 bullet to stop them. Is this correct? If not, then please explain your previous comments. Let us discuss.

new topics

top topics

join